Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
sharkfan
O'malley

Send a message via AIM to sharkfan
Re: good shore dive in the keys? please help!

That quarry used to have a ton of small lobster in it but mostly undersized. But it is a cool place to check out. There is always something to see in there, your girl will dig it if shes into snorkeling.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
mikeleebaker

Send a message via AIM to mikeleebaker

haha ill keep an eye out for your snorkel.

sounds like my next keys trip will definitely be to the quarry! thanks guys!
mikeleebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Ancient Diver
Life is Good !

The "quarry" just past the Bahia Honda bridge is about 40 feet deep, but the "mouth" is only about 10 feet where it meets the local boat channel, so there is a layer of fairly stagnant water in there with little exchange with the Bay waters - rather sterile and lifeless compared to anywhere else. Viz. is never more than 10-15 feet, and have never seen a fish big enough for a frying pan. OK to dive if seas and wind are so rough you can't go anywhere else, but a grade D site otherwise. shore diving in the Keys is hard to do. If you get a kayak then there are a lot more places you can reach safely - old wrecks, patch reefs, structure. otherwise go out on a charter. best of luck to you.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Ditto on that. It is basicly closed off except for that shallow little entrance and is stagnant. But there are some nice little fish and stuff in there near the sides. The only time I went in, was on the second day of Sportsmans Lobster maybe 13 years ago, it blew 25+ and everything else was milk. There was nothing in there. Shore diving the Keys is not the best way to see the Keys. Get a ride, charter, or rent a boat. Get a Hot Spots, or Top Spots chart, and it will show where the good spots are.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
derekforreal

Cubscout and Steve are right- that Quarry, not to kill your spirits, is a usually a large lifeless hole. That said, there are definately fish in it, but you'll need to weather the hazy vis and eery atmosphere... for the chance of encountering some little mangos etc. The better bet, without a doubt, is to rent or borrow a kayak, and paddle off the ocean side of marathon. Right off the KOA I think... and off one of the little hotels oceanside (I can't think of the name for the life of me, will add to this post if I remember)... there are coral heads & patchy rock less then a mile off in about 7 feet of water, and it's legal to spear. Someone might confirm or firm up this statement with a definate landmark for you... not sure if it's on a chart..
Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
mikeleebaker

thanks guys. though i am saving for a kayak, i dont currently have one. i will at some point this summer though. i really cant wait! but for now im limited to shore dives.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #22
derekforreal

Just rent a Kayak... dirt cheap...while you are there
Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

dude..im sure i have dove that quarry many more times than any one else thats chimed in.
there are decent fish to be had there...even outside the opening in the shallows.
small mangos. ceros mackeral. small muttons outside the opening of the quarry.
obv if you have a boat that that is going to be way better but if you dont this is the next best thing.
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #24
derekforreal

NJSpearo- I don't doubt it. There are fish, I'm just saying- a Yak' would get him out to those coral heads right off shore in marathon. You know where i'm talking about?... Right off the beach of the Rainbow Bend (FINALLY remembered the name). As far as shore dives, you need a good day, but this is the best bet I can think of. Hogs, Yellow jacks and the usual mangos/grunts are always around... wish I had numbers to this spot... it's just a small area
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #25
mikeleebaker

well im gonna definately going to check the quarry out. im pretty easily pleased when it comes to available game. if it's edible and legal im pretty happy.

rainbow bend? i know exactly where that is! cracks me up everytime i pass it where do you put your kayak in around there for future reference?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #26
Ryfish

I have some spots from when I use to live down there that are sick shore dives. 20+lb cuberas, big blacks and mutant mangroves. But there is no way I would put it up here on SB. LOOL

Plus the shore dive spots where the fish are are dangerous and you need to hike to get to them. I have only brought one other person to them and he has sworn to secrecy BTW one of the spots is always loaded with lobster. So if you spend time in the Keys you can find some good shore dive spots. This is coming from a person that lived there with out a boat for 2 years out of the 6 he was down there.

BTW I dove the quarry few times when I lived there and didn't see much except a few tiny mangroves, there are way better places to hit.

Last edited by Ryfish; 04-16-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Ryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
derekforreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
I have some spots from when I use to live down there that are sick shore dives. 20+lb cuberas, big blacks and mutant mangroves. But there is no way I would put it up here on SB. LOOL

Plus the shore dive spots where the fish are are dangerous and you need to hike to get to them. I have only brought one other person to them and he has sworn to secrecy BTW one of the spots is always loaded with lobster. So if you spend time in the Keys you can find some good shore dive spots. This is coming from a person that lived there with out a boat for 2 years out of the 6 he was down there.

BTW I dove the quarry few times when I lived there and didn't see much except a few tiny mangroves, there are way better places to hit.
Well that was an utterly useless post, good thing you wasted the font and your typing time for no reason. The guy is looking for information, not a pointless "I know something you don't know"...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
Ryan J
firmly embedded member

OK OK I am the guy that he showed these super dope spots too...& he is not kidding swarms of mutant Mangroves and Blacks & Cubera's running for cover everywhere. When we hit these inshore spots we get more fish than you'll get all day on the reef. But as Ryfish said I am sworn to secrecy. The only reason I am confirming his post is to give you hope LOL.. Good Luck
Ryan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #29
mikeleebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekforreal View Post
Well that was an utterly useless post, good thing you wasted the font and your typing time for no reason. The guy is looking for information, not a pointless "I know something you don't know"...
lol right?

i have to say, that was a little painful...

though at least i do have a glimmer of hope i suppose... could you at least give me a tip on finding my own spots?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanj View Post
OK OK I am the guy that he showed these super dope spots too...& he is not kidding swarms of mutant Mangroves and Blacks & Cubera's running for cover everywhere. When we hit these inshore spots we get more fish than you'll get all day on the reef. But as Ryfish said I am sworn to secrecy. The only reason I am confirming his post is to give you hope LOL.. Good Luck
stupid pointless post followed by yet another pointless post.
lets have a " i used to live/live in the keys so act like i know more" competition...
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote