View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
TheKeeneroo

Re: DIY DIVE FLOAT + Backpack (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
TheKeeneroo, you forgot about the main reasons to use a board instead of regular float, which is being able to get your upper body on top of it, and swim relatively long distances in comfort.

Another good reason to have a board is to avoid having your fish dragging in the water, you don't seem to have a provision for keeping fish on top of the board..

Here are a few concerns regarding your diving board:
- Low profile. Too low profile. Not visible enough. Not bright enough. You mention it but I don't see the mandatory dive flag.
- Not bouyant enough. Need more flotation.
- Not big enough, you cannot get your upper body on in for swiming long distances.

There are some inflatable boards out there, but I feel they have too much drag to be nice to carry arround. What I would do if I wanted to go the board route again, is to make a core out of styrofoam and fiberglass it. Paint it bright orange and make it BIG.

And I am telling you all this with my best intentions. Because I have done the exact same thing you have done now (including the backpack straps)... somewhere like 16 years ago. And I finally ditched the idea and stuck to a regular Cressi double bladder bright orange float with a spare gun strapped to it underneath.

Best of luck!

Mikel
Hey There Mike,

Great feedback. Thanks for your thoughts. I do have a flag mount (not shown in photos as it was on my kayak at the time. The dive bag (featured in photos) is where I put my fish when I'm ready to swim in. I'm 200lbs and while I agree that there can always be more buoyancy, this set up works well for me. I can get my upper body on the float and still easily kick over seaweed. If I'm going long distances, I'll bring my yak instead, so distance isn't an issue for me. I'd be happy to buy a nice float but at the moment, I have chosen not to work it into the budget. Instead, a nice little DIY board is adequate for me (and many others) as most of the ideas came from them. the best gear is always worth it, but much like my accumulation of spear gear, it started at piecing stuff together, and then upgrading over time.
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote