View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #18
popgun pete

Re: My octopus teacher

I too thought that it might be case of multiple octopuses and skilful editing to create a story, however I found the same octopus in an undercut hole in rocky reef structure a number of times. Outside its hole was a pile of marine debris such as broken shells and large stones which the octopus had accumulated, including lead fishing sinkers. When I approached the octopus grabbed the rubble with its suckers and lifted its arms up to create a camouflage screen that to some extent blanked off the entrance to obscure the octopus within. Seeing as I was not fooled the octopus dropped its arms and looked at me, after which I departed.

Another time seeing it was home I offered it a snack on the end of my multi-pronged handspear. Tentatively the octopus reached out with a tentacle and suddenly grabbed the base of the pranger head and yanked the spear and me forwards. I was surprised how strong it was, then it let go having secured its snack. I don’t eat octopus or squid, so I had no intention of spearing it.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote