View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 03:05 AM   #21
spearq8

Re: Best Railgun/Pipe gun handle

I haven't tried the Meandros trigger so really can't give an opinion on that. But if it is a friction trigger then most likely it will suffer similar problems to other friction triggers. It is just that stainless steel rubbing against stainless steel is not good due to a phenomenon that happens with stainless steel. All stainless steel types (even Nitronic 60 or hardened 17-4 PH SS) will tend to "cold weld" ... this is where on the molecular level the SS which is rubbed on another SS part will start glueing on the other part. The higher the pressure the more this phenomenon happens. You can alleviate this by having one sear metal being harder than the other ... or maybe diamond coating or PVD coating one part and hoping the coating stays on for a while ... but I tried this and really causes other problems (like corrosion) and doesn't last long. I spent two years trying to figure out a solution and came up with three different solutions. One is to use a plastic trigger sear ... which can have durability issues. The other is to use a roller on one of the sears ... this totally reduces the "cold weld" issue and of course one more solution that will have to wait for another day. At the moment the best option is the roller ... but of course a roller solution has to be done correctly with correct much tighter tolerances than a normal friction trigger.

As for the Ermessub handle, I did help Mario with this project a while back. I did check out the very early beta versions and they were very good. Of course a lot of that had to do with the Ermessub DR trigger which is the default trigger. The latest versions of the DR trigger are just amazing as he now uses wire cutting instead of laser cutting (10x more precise). His boxes are also bent on a custom mold and the lateral pin holes are cut while the box is in the mold ... this gives perfect lateral pin placement and thus sear rotation is perfect. Also his sears AND line release are MIM ... so tolerances are incredible tight ... and with MIM you are able to round off edges ... so line release is really beautiful as is totally rounded and doesn't damage shooting line. Also the box is reinforced up front with a wedge pin ... so even if the wood swells in water ... it cannot squeeze the trigger box and hurt the action. Many many little improvements and changes made with the help of computer simulation (thank you Autodesk !!!) that make it easily the best trigger on earth ... by a long shot. Nothing even comes close!

I will see if I can post some pictures of handle and trigger that Ermessub made. I think he sold out of the first 2 batches he made and there is a supply issue now for everything due to COVID, so not sure what the status of stocking these is at the moment.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote