Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
black pearl

boston whaler conquest

Has anyone had any experience at the Islands on a 21 Boston Whaler Conquest? Thinking about buying a Boat that will work for my brother and I with the family locally and with the bro's offshore. Looking at buying a boston whaler 98' or so 21' conquest with small cuddy walkaround. has a 98 yamaha 2 stroke saltwater series.... and four stroke kicker. How long should I expect to get out of that motor before a repower with the four strokes? And has anyone ridden in choppy stuff in a 21 conquest or similar boston whaler. Thanks for the replys. budget is around 20,000. My brother and I want a boat thats family friendly as we both have kids now too...
Tim
black pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
lennythekilla

Re: boston whaler conquest

well i dont have a conquest but i have the dauntless 18.5 feet. it has a 115 4 stroke yamaha out board and it does fine in big seas. I have it in hawwai where it can get pretty ruff alot more that in CA and it handles. If i were yo i would get a 4 stoke(better speed best gas consumption and better for the enviroment.
lennythekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Chris Oak
the ghost

Ask Tomol, he has had at least a whaler 17' montauk and a 18' outrage. I have his old 17' 73 hull with a 100hp 4 stroke yamaha and we run to catalina all the time, he used to run it to clemente and some of the other islands as well I believe.

On the 17' its the wind chop not the swell that kills us, although I won't run in anything bigger than 4' in case the wind kicks up. However I've heard the bigger/newer hulls on the whalers are really nice. If you want a lot of opinions go to thehulltruth.com and post a question.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
agarcia

JMO....there's a ton of boats out there in your price range, you can probably find something thats already been re-powered with a 4 stroke recently and save some coin down the road.
agarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
black pearl

Ill check the "hulltruth" and make post - thanks for the help, I would prefer a fourstroke but havent found one on a bigger Whaler yet in my price range... Appreciate the reports that they seem to handle well in bigger water.
black pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
C monster
Do Rad Dough

The outrage hull is the one you want. I have a 17 footer and take it everywhere... Best boat in it's class, hands down.

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
Ill check the "hulltruth" and make post - thanks for the help, I would prefer a fourstroke but havent found one on a bigger Whaler yet in my price range... Appreciate the reports that they seem to handle well in bigger water.
Also check www.continuouswave.com

It's a site devoted specifically to Whalers.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
mokaction
Larry Caragay

Change the motor when you have money.. nothing like the new 4 stokes..

I would rather be a has been then a never was!!
mokaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
omerdiver777

that boat is sick i have a 19' montauk and u can easily go through 7 foot swells haha just a little wet
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

I have a 18' Mckee Craft center console with a 130 Honda 4 stroke and it handles the trips well. It's true about wind chop, our last trip I think we damaged one spleen, 2 livers and Travis (El Gringopelon) may have broke is tail bone and briefly lost vision in one eye. The worst, Travis asked me if I could play some Jonas Brothers on the radio. It must have been a brief concussion. All kidding aside, when it's smooth, you can cover some serious ground. Alot of fun !!!

Good luck, take time to search, people are giving their boats away.

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote