Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
renepotvin

Post 22 cal speargun

Has anyone ever owned a 22 caliber speargun? Pelco and other companies make them according to the internets, but I cannot see a single youtube video showing one in action.

Are they a hoax?

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: 22 cal speargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
Has anyone ever owned a 22 caliber speargun? Pelco and other companies make them according to the internets, but I cannot see a single youtube video showing one in action.

Are they a hoax?

They work OK but are limited by the ammo you can carry, plus dropping cartridges if you get a case of the fumbles is always a possibility. The guns did not quality as firearms in the USA as they cannot chamber ammunition unless the cartridges are in their SMG Sub-Ammo sleeves that both give something for the spear tail to stick into and enable an air gap for explosive gases to expand into before blowing the spear out of the gun and the front section of the cartridge which breaks up with it. Once the Sub-Ammo sleeve supply dried up the guns were finished even though they use .22 Ramset cartridges.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
North Star
Max

I have one as a wall hanger. I have never fired it underwater. I have some ammo for it, but I own it for its historical interest and the cool factor it possesses.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
renepotvin

I wish someone had bothered to film one in use. It would be interesting to see the power. Imagine making a modern version with a 100 cm chamber and a thin modern shaft.

Old 09-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
popgun pete

There are a number of the guns still around, the last of them were made in New Zealand when Tapmatic sold the production tooling with existing parts after about 10 years of making the guns. As regulations changed they became illegal weapons for spearfishing in many countries and a number would have been surrendered and scrapped. No such problem in the USA so a gun could be found and videoed if the owner had some ammo. Being released in the late sixties that would be the days of film, hence if anyone filmed one in action that will be the media it is on. The arrival of video for non-professional use, especially underwater, would be long after the SMG was being produced.

The problem with the SMG was it was a sinker and although not a big gun the breech and barrels made it nose heavy, especially the 4 barrel version. To fire the other barrels you had to revolve the breech to bring the next barrel into line with the firing pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMG Patent 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	248557   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMG MK II MAGNUM and Standard model.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	248558   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMG brochure.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	248559  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:49 PM   #6
renepotvin

I'd love to make one! Wouldn't be difficult either... 100 cm tube, caliber 22, 7 mm shaft, something modern... alas I would be put in jail.