Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #751
grey2112

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
I agree.

You should have charged him right off the bat.

C
Forgive my ignorance - is charging a sandbar shark in particular the proper thing to do when they are acting like this? Does this frighten them off or at least make them keep their distance?

Does this tactic work for bullsharks as well? Or is there something else that needs to be done then?

We were ascending to get back in the boat, and my fellow diver felt threatened enough to unleash a shaft with a powerhead at it, but the powerhead failed to detonate. I'm kind of glad it didn't - I'm a believer in doing everything possible to avoid unnecessary loss of marine life - but my first order of business today is contacting Ray Odor and getting a powerhead of my own, just in case!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #752
jmorton
BlueDrift

Tough to say as none of us were there and that video does not tell all of course. You are the one there and the one that must make the decision.

With that said more aggression shown back to him probably would have mitigated his interest. It was also interesting to see his erratic swimming but he didn't have much of an aggressive posture otherwise.

What happened to the shaft that your friend shot?

Henry Ford
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #753
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Tough to say as none of us were there and that video does not tell all of course. You are the one there and the one that must make the decision.

With that said more aggression shown back to him probably would have mitigated his interest. It was also interesting to see his erratic swimming but he didn't have much of an aggressive posture otherwise.

What happened to the shaft that your friend shot?
Shaft was recovered (it was on a line).

I don't know if I have a special scent that attracts sharks or what, but it seems this happens to ME an awful lot - LOL.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #754
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

IMO you should charge any shark you see, except a GW or Tiger.

Once you first sight him, swim at him yelling in your snorkel/regulator with a deep voice. Sharks don't like confrontation. Charge them and try to poke them, hard! That will usually do the trick.

If they come back for more, powerhead them. I think I've had to powerhead 2 over the years. And a free shaft to the gills works well also.

If you retreat or continue to ascend, they get more confident.

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Forgive my ignorance - is charging a sandbar shark in particular the proper thing to do when they are acting like this? Does this frighten them off or at least make them keep their distance?

Does this tactic work for bullsharks as well? Or is there something else that needs to be done then?

We were ascending to get back in the boat, and my fellow diver felt threatened enough to unleash a shaft with a powerhead at it, but the powerhead failed to detonate. I'm kind of glad it didn't - I'm a believer in doing everything possible to avoid unnecessary loss of marine life - but my first order of business today is contacting Ray Odor and getting a powerhead of my own, just in case!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #755
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
IMO you should charge any shark you see, except a GW or Tiger.

Once you first sight him, swim at him yelling in your snorkel/regulator with a deep voice. Sharks don't like confrontation. Charge them and try to poke them, hard! That will usually do the trick.

If they come back for more, powerhead them. I think I've had to powerhead 2 over the years. And a free shaft to the gills works well also.

If you retreat or continue to ascend, they get more confident.

C
Thanks for the advice! What about hammerheads and makos?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #756
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Quote:
Shaft was recovered (it was on a line).

I don't know if I have a special scent that attracts sharks or what, but it seems this happens to ME an awful lot - LOL.
Haha you don't have a special scent. It is the spots you dive, Ask you buddy if he got a straight shot on the shark. When using a power head the best angle for detonation is 90 degrees, if not the shaft has tendency to miss the primer and not discharge the round! If you don't want to hurt the sharks you could always just put the powerhead on with no round! If you get the ppd(personal protection device) slip on powerhead be carefull to not put your thumb over the business end when loading, and keep calm you don't wanna lose a thumb or hand jamming the ppd on in a hurry!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #757
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! What about hammerheads and makos?
The hammerheads I've seen haven't bothered me. Haven't seen a mako yet, prob like a Tiger: shoot it the first time it comes in hard. Tigers are usually calm and leave on there own. Mako is too unpredictable for me to charge.

C
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #758
jstiver09

If you are smart about where you shoot them, you can use your regular floppered shaft. I usually aim for the last 2 inches of their nose. This way if I miss they get a good scare and if I hit the nose is hard enough for the shaft to not make it deep enough to engage the flopper. I have given a few nose piercings this way and the shaft has just pulled right out with the first run...none returned (including bulls).
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #759
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhunter11 View Post
It is the spots you dive.

Stay away from artificials and the ledges near them this time of year. Unless you want to feed the sharks brown trout.

FWIW I've had more PPD's fail to detonate than detonate. Even with 90 degree shots and fresh ammo. I think it's the cruddy spinner tip screw in shaft I used to use (glad I lost it). Maybe I'm just unlucky, I dunno. But I'm starting to lean towards loosing a freeshaft vs messing with PPD's. They almost cost the same anyways.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #760
ahoullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy76 View Post
Stay away from artificials and the ledges near them this time of year. Unless you want to feed the sharks brown trout.

FWIW I've had more PPD's fail to detonate than detonate. Even with 90 degree shots and fresh ammo. I think it's the cruddy spinner tip screw in shaft I used to use (glad I lost it). Maybe I'm just unlucky, I dunno. But I'm starting to lean towards loosing a freeshaft vs messing with PPD's. They almost cost the same anyways.
If you are a scuba diver, buy a dedicated "shark shaft" with threads on the end then drill a hole in a golf ball a little smaller than the shaft and thread the golf ball on the end of the shaft, bam!
ahoullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #761
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoullis View Post
If you are a scuba diver, buy a dedicated "shark shaft" with threads on the end then drill a hole in a golf ball a little smaller than the shaft and thread the golf ball on the end of the shaft, bam!
I have thought about that as well - cheaper and less dangerous than a PPD, always "on", retrievable, and won't cause a feeding frenzy if there are other sharks in the water.

Anyone else care to comment on this idea?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #762
jstiver09

Or just have a dedicated shaft without a flopper.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #763
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoullis View Post
No offense, but sounds a little goofy. Why would I want a golf ball on my spare shaft holder obstructing my view and adding muzzle weight when not needed? Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong? Major points for out of box thinking though!

The last think I'll care about is loosing a shaft when I get bull rushed - pun intended
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #764
Seal Rock

Eric, is that your video?!
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #765
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
Eric, is that your video?!
Yup

I think I sent you a link via email.

About the 8th time I've swum with sharks while spearfishing. Getting rather normal when I'm diving now - LOL