Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
longshot reed

Re: Childrens pool seals rape human?

I was in the water with 3-4 mother pup groups 4-8 feet away and I don't think I
even made the moms nervous. on the other hand I had a seal grab the top of my
hood while I was looking for bugs, it didn't seem aggressive but I deemed it necessary
to educate his a$$.
longshot reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
Roger23043
Airframes

I have had a seal hump my fin while I was breathing up. I look back and the seal has his arms wrapped around my fin and he's getting after it. I almost died laughing. I have swam with a seal and her baby but I didn't pay them any attention and I think that's why she was so calm with me. However I won't even swim in the cove because the sea lions have taken over. Those things rush you and then blow bubbles in you face.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
after you played tummy drums.
Tummy sticks
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
BigDipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert033 View Post
I was at childrens pool two weeks ago and when i got out of the water some guy came up to me and said someone was mauled by a seal in the morning and his head was all bloody. He seemed like a nice guy but i think he was just trying to scare me off the beach with that story. what do u guys think?
I was that bloody guy. It had nothing to do with mother seals. Some had been playing with their pups nearby but didn't care about the swimmers in the water. I have been filming young seals coming up to me and soliciting petting and tummy rubs all year. I recently had been documenting the fact that when the harbor seals are interacting there, you can take a flipper in your hand and hold it and they don't care.
I had not read up that during mating season, which began recently, male seals grab females by the neck and flippers in foreplay. A seal was playing with me when another seal ran right into my back. I thought little of it, since it was so crowded in the water. Later another, or the same seal wanted to fondle my arm and get a little attention. A seal swam right into my mask, bump! I turned to leave and felt him chomping the top of my head through the hood It was a large lone seal, which makes me believe I had made myself a rival to a rutting harbor seal. Whether he knew me as a regular there, I don't know.
Seals have short sharp teeth and he had raked them across producing long superficial scalp wounds that bled alarmingly, but the nurse just washed me up and it was all healed up in a week. On the bright side, I feel honored to be so completely accepted into harbor seal society.
David Pierce was in the water at the same time hunting lobster. He was raked on the back by seal claws and went to the lifeguards to show them his scratches clear through the wetsuit. Another snorkeler got the same treatment the next day, and another had a seal superficially bite his leg but he just slammed the seal in the chops and that ended that game. All of us were well known to the local seals and had been petting seals all year, Mating season will last until May and until then I well be ignoring the any seal cuties that want to engage my attentions.
Other swimmers had been in the water with no problem, the only ones who got punished had a history of engaging in play with local phocines. If the swells are not to bad next weekend I will hang out there and see if any seals glare at me if if I ignore their friendly ones.

Last edited by BigDipper; 03-20-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: clarification
BigDipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
iamasalmon

Petting seals? Wow. Ok, I guess that explains a lot, since ive never known harbor seals to be aggressive... But then I've never tried to dance with one or messed with a mum and her pup.
Prolly should get yourself a rabies/tetanus shot or something.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger23043 View Post
I have had a seal hump my fin while I was breathing up. I look back and the seal has his arms wrapped around my fin and he's getting after it. I almost died laughing. .
That's funny as hell.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Ethan kills
OG Troll

I don't care what the dive council or any of my friends say. Touching the seals is very stupid.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote