Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:18 AM   #31
sharpshooter

Re: It's that time of year again

Got back from hunting the U.P. in temps. starting in the med 50's F. to ending in low 7F. without the wind chill. Saw plenty of small to medium size does. 2 spikes and one 4pt.. Was looking for 8pt. or better. Didn't happen. My grandson from San Diego flew in and got his first buck, a 4 pt. by himself. Shot it about 100 yds. away from his blind on one of the logging roads with my sisters .243 rifle. Dropped it where he shot it. Made it real nice for pickup and he learned how to field dress it. He shot it the day before his 18th birthday. A nearby farmer and his sons 10 days after rifle opener only had one 8pt. hanging. It was shot late evening and found next morning chewed up by wolves. The pack of wolves and a pack of coyotes in the area sure messed the hunting up. Could hear the pack of coyotes on some evenings right after sunset. Young ones and adults by the tone. Guess, the bigger bucks moved out of the area for safety from the packs. I would do the same.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #32
North Star
Max

Time to do some wolf and coyote hunting...can't let them compete for the deer.

Congratulations to your grandson!
Old 12-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #33
sharpshooter

Anybody else do any good? Just trying to get an overall idea how the deer hunting season is going? Read that this year hunter turn out is less than last year due to the easing of Covid-19 restrictions. Last year was a major upwards spike. States racked up the money.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #34
North Star
Max

I shot a small buck. 200 yds, one shot, dropped him in his tracks.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #35
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
I shot a small buck. 200 yds, one shot, dropped him in his tracks.
DRT saves on the tracking and drag out .
Old 12-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #36
fishfan

I'm waiting to see the numbers from PA this year. This report is from April about last season.
https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/game-...spx?newsid=459
Old 12-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #37
sharpshooter

Michigan puts out a very detailed annual prior year deer harvest report of about 80 pages in early August. I just review all the data for the area I hunt in. Otherwise, I'd fall a sleep reading every page.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #38
OBLIGATED

We still have time left in the season.My kid has a really nice 8 point he has been waiting to show up on the cam in daylight.Going to drop some Does to top the freezers off.My other son made some Teriyaki jerky and it vanished real quick.
No Coyotes at all on his cams.I guess next deer I will hunt at night on a gut pile.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #39
OBLIGATED

My kids property has a bunch of deer that have been raiding the garden when he is outside doing yard work.Pretty sure they will taste pretty good.He put up his cameras and got a nice bear in the photos.Im hoping I can get a shot with my 10mm pistol.Bear Chili is really tasty.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #40
sharpshooter

Going to Ga. soon for opening bow. Yes, bear chili can taste great depending on the cook and ingredients. These days there are some handguns that make the .44 mag. recoil seem mild.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #41
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Going to Ga. soon for opening bow. Yes, bear chili can taste great depending on the cook and ingredients. These days there are some handguns that make the .44 mag. recoil seem mild.
Try the meat cooked in a cast iron skillet and then throw the shredded meat into your chili mix.I usually soak meat in bourbon but sometimes tequila overnight.
The 10mm has a 6 inch barrel and with a rmr on top the recoil shouldnt be too bad for hunting.Trying to get a Ruger 454 Bisley with a 45/8 barrel but they seemed to have dried up.Bisley frame makes it very manageable and they look sexy as hell to me.I wont bow hunt until it cools down some more.Im mostly hunting private land so they dont get a lot of pressure.I have only shot two deer here with a gun.One with a pistol and another with a 30/30.Bow or crossbow works just fine here as long as my rotator cuff dont act up again.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #42
OBLIGATED

Youngest son went to check his blind and deer cam this afternoon and took his bow "just in case" and ended up with a little buck.
Probably will be kicking himself when he sees the buck on his brothers property.He is allowed on more buck and 10 does.Backstraps tomorrow and jerky in a few days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lilbuck.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	248543  
Old 09-18-2022, 10:48 PM   #43
North Star
Max

Good for him. Any deer is a good deer. They all eat the same, and the capture is just as thrilling.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #44
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Good for him. Any deer is a good deer. They all eat the same, and the capture is just as thrilling.
Im still waiting on jerky from the oldest son.I prefer the does but this buck has not near the rut yet so its all good.
Still too hot for my taste to go hunting.I prefer a few hard frosts to put the snakes and ticks away and not sweating in a blind.
I still have a couple weeks of work on the house and then its fishing/hunting mode.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #45
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
Im still waiting on jerky from the oldest son.I prefer the does but this buck has not near the rut yet so its all good.
Still too hot for my taste to go hunting.I prefer a few hard frosts to put the snakes and ticks away and not sweating in a blind.
I still have a couple weeks of work on the house and then its fishing/hunting mode.
Snakes and ticks won't be a problem in November in the U.P.. Neither will it being too hot. Staying warm and not getting frost bite will be more of a concern. At least layering up is a option vs. a t-shirt and shorts while still being hot and sweaty down south.