Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
higgy1811

avid fisherman...new to spearfishing

My name is Chris and firstly I would like to wish you all reading this good luck and safe diving. I have been fishing hunting RI/MA for over 20 years and up until this year I had been fishing on my fathers boat for my entire life. He sold his boat after many years and it is tough trying to convince my wife and 3 year old daughter that I NEED a saltwater boat. So I have been fishing from shore this season and about three weeks ago took up the idea of spearfishing and have been extremely addicted since. I bought all new gear and have been out a few times times with not much luck but enjoyed every second out there learning and trying. I tried black point in Narragansett a couple times and sakonnet point another time. Saw a few tatoug but haven't been out since the season reopened. Need a lot of work on the freediving part of it. I was hoping to meet meet up with anyone in the RI/southeast MA area willing to help out someone new to spearfishing. I was hoping to get out there Sat, but usually am available during the week for afternoon dives with a day or two notice and at least one day on the weekend. Again I appreciate anyone willing to help or let me listen...
higgy1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
spearoscott

Re: avid fisherman...new to spearfishing

welcome to spearfishing!

Come to one of the meets around weigh in time and meet some of the guys on the board.

You can see how different people set up their gear and ask questions. Everyone is great and you will learn a lot.

Join a club

best thing you can do for yourself right now is find someone you can dive with who knows a hell of lot more then you do. For safety reasons mostly, but all around it will help you out a lot.

this is a great sport and you will soon be addicted.

dive safe.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Posting here is a good start.

For your wife and 3 year old:

Dive with a buddy and take a professional freediving class. A buddy and class will save your life.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Goody1986

The next meet is the NY Open 8/17/2014 - At King's Beach in Newport RI - Weigh in is at 2pm - you should stop by and say hi!
Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
erk

welcome to the board i'll let you know the next time i go so we can hook up
erk
Old 08-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Spear_Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by vai0 View Post
Posting here is a good start.

For your wife and 3 year old:

Dive with a buddy and take a professional freediving class. A buddy and class will save your life.
Welcome! It's super addictive.
Dive safe.
Spear_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Alexrom1207

For freediving information check out deeperblue.net They have some excellent resources about the basics of freediving. That being said, diving is really about 90% mental. So the more you get in the water, spend time on the bottom, et cetera, the better you're going to get at it.

Welcome to the sport.

By the way...if you do any other summer sports, just go ahead and sell all that gear now. You're not going to need it.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Crusty Old Dive

Right on man. Best to get a buddy and find rocky shallow shore spots with minimal current to shoot tog to start off your new hobby. Kings Beach is a great spot for beginners. As well, coming to the meets will get you more knowledge than you can probably retain. This is a tight knit community of folks that love to help others learn the sport. Good Luck.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote