Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
sharpshooter

Ultimate Getaway Sold

It's now called the Great Lakes Explorer Liveaboard located in the Great Lakes. More info just Google Sharky's Underwater Expeditions. Then go to Facebook. Sept. 13 and 14.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 10-04-2019 at 06:09 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
SC00BAD1V3R

Re: Ultimate Getaway Sold

What a shame, they botched that one. At least the tortugas will get a break from the slayfest rick and co. put on em
SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
sharpshooter

Hasn't been much of a "slayfest" for any of the spearing charters in the last few years. My group had talked about not going anymore due to all the fish quantity reductions and size increases. Plus, we weren't seeing the quantity and quality fish anymore. The new 2 hogfish per diver per trip was the final nail in the coffin. 4 day trip cost, tips, road fuel, tolls and road meals was around $1600 each. With 4 divers going to the MG in our backyard. $6400 buys a lot of gas and trips. The Playmate is still taking spearos to the Dry Tortugas. They'll take care of the former UG clients. I believe 11 divers is the max. allowed.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Jason_514

Adventure Water Sports is the only live aboard charter I could find that still goes to the tortugas.
Jason_514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_514 View Post
Adventure Water Sports is the only live aboard charter I could find that still goes to the tortugas.
Try www.seaclusive.com for The Playmate.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
kwyoungspear

Bad for business good for the Tortugas. This boat was a joke, basically a cattle
boat dropping in 6 divers at a time and seemed like they only really shot the hogs (and pound them at that). The hog fish population out at the fort has been very scary lately. It seems like I only see 10 pound hogs or 14 inch hogs diving out there now. While they didn’t really dive in my favorite areas, hopefully this will help and have a spillover effect. That boat did more damage to the hog fish population out west than the handful of commercial divers.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Try www.seaclusive.com for The Playmate.
If I were any of you guys I would just stay away from liveaboard charters all together and go private. It will be about the same price and you’ll shoot better fish and won’t have to deal with a bunch of strangers who may not have a clue what they’re doing.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
If I were any of you guys I would just stay away from liveaboard charters all together and go private. It will be about the same price and you’ll shoot better fish and won’t have to deal with a bunch of strangers who may not have a clue what they’re doing.
x2 last commercial trip at the fort with Steel some of our best fish came off of random hits/ledges from the bottom finder. Fish/chum at night and you’ll be surprised what you find on the first dive in the morning out there
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote