Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
anthropisces

Friday am Bahamas run

We are crossing from Palm Beach or Jupiter Inlet to West End on Friday, 7/27 at 6 or 7am. Please PM me if you are making the crossing at that time because we'd like to cross with you.

Last edited by anthropisces; 07-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.
anthropisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: Friday am Bahamas run

Crossing the drink in a 20ft boat is as safe as diving 80ft with no spotter and no fins. Make sure the boat you cross with intends to maintain a speed that you can keep up with. If it gets a little bumpy waiting for you could slow a big boat down to a speed that affects his ability to remain on plane. Bring gallons of water and a epirb. Good luck and bee safe.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
sbh

[quote=KILLIAN;1688276]Crossing the drink in a 20ft boat is as safe as diving 80ft with no spotter and no fins.

Mine is 21 so I guess I'm ok. Clearly it's a long conversation to delve into gulf stream crossing dangers but I'm not so sure I agree with this...but I'll defer any argument until I make it safely myself
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
hogphish

Use to do it with no GPS (loran then)...alone...21' POS Chris Craft single old evinrude
hogphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
fldiver

Wish I could get off this weekend, we'd make the run with ya. Takin off tomorrow and Thursday kinda screws my weekend tho. Have fun and be safe man....
fldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
kitespearo
KITESPEARO

Send a message via MSN to kitespearo

We are going for the day but we are leaving saturday on a 35' Yellowfin.
'
kitespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
GillBilly

what kind of boat are you running? how long are you staying? im intrested
GillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

[quote=sbh;1688304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
Crossing the drink in a 20ft boat is as safe as diving 80ft with no spotter and no fins.

Mine is 21 so I guess I'm ok. Clearly it's a long conversation to delve into gulf stream crossing dangers but I'm not so sure I agree with this...but I'll defer any argument until I make it safely myself
Your no spring chicken and the fact you haven't made the crossing in your own 21 leads me to believe that you may agree with me more than you think.
I didn't say it was impossible, diving to 80 without fins or spotter isn't impossible either......
Just saying that it is not an experiment that can be exercised 20 times without running into a situation that would have you swearing to never play the odds like that again. Bigger boats exist and offer safer passage, those who have floated with only hope to cling to offshore or anybody who ever made the crossing and has seen how things can change offshore as you go & knows that there is no replacement for displacement. I personally would do the crossing on a moments notice(20fter) if the weather created ideal conditions. But I would also bring the cash to jump a plane home if I had work on Monday because a 20ft boat doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in sea conditions for a safe crossing home. I only speak from a position of safety and conservative risk. I know his Cape horn can handle some big stuff and the Capt has logged many hours at the helm and as a result will make this trip a huge success.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
kkeller

Seas are given at 2 feet and winds light. SO I thnk we hit the sweet spot as far as the weather goes. I am a virgin so looking forward to my first trip over.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
kkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillBilly View Post
what kind of boat are you running? how long are you staying? im intrested
20 Ft Cape Horn, leaving Friday AM returning Sunday AM, West End Boodle Bay
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
underdogII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeller View Post
20 Ft Cape Horn, leaving Friday AM returning Sunday AM, West End Boodle Bay
Kinda like crossing in SE Plane. If the motor keeps running No problem.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
hogphish

[quote=KILLIAN;1688395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post

Your no spring chicken and the fact you haven't made the crossing in your own 21 leads me to believe that you may agree with me more than you think.
I didn't say it was impossible, diving to 80 without fins or spotter isn't impossible either......
Just saying that it is not an experiment that can be exercised 20 times without running into a situation that would have you swearing to never play the odds like that again. Bigger boats exist and offer safer passage, those who have floated with only hope to cling to offshore or anybody who ever made the crossing and has seen how things can change offshore as you go & knows that there is no replacement for displacement. I personally would do the crossing on a moments notice(20fter) if the weather created ideal conditions. But I would also bring the cash to jump a plane home if I had work on Monday because a 20ft boat doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in sea conditions for a safe crossing home. I only speak from a position of safety and conservative risk. I know his Cape horn can handle some big stuff and the Capt has logged many hours at the helm and as a result will make this trip a huge success.

Yea Brent you old F#@ker! What the hell are you thinking?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
anthropisces

About 14 years ago I crossed on with a friend on a 31' Island Runner with twin Yamaha 225s. I had limited knowledge of handling a boat back then. My friend who invited me was a seasoned navy man. The boat belonged to a friend of his who was very experienced. The wind was howling as we approached the mouth of the Jupiter inlet. I've surfed triple overhead waves in Mexico and big surf in California and also lots of big surf locally and from that perspective I remember thinking "holy smokes its pretty damn big out here; are we really going to do this?". We pounded our way across to West End and spent a couple of days. On the way back the seas in the gulf stream was easily 6-9'. The boat owner did an admirable job. He picked his way through hundreds of troughs and crests but eventually he mis-timed something or otherwise made a mistake or was caught off guard. The boat slid down the face of an enormous wave and he stuffed the bow into the wave in front of us. The boat scooped up what seemed like the entire sea and she filled nearly to the gunnels. The motors barely stayed above water. The boat owner said to us that the bilge pump wasn't working properly. My friend had a very serious look on his face and answered "no" when I asked "does this boat have flotation?". Eventually someone opened the door on the transom and half the Atlantic spilled back out. The boat had almost gone to the bottom 30 miles offshore.

On another trip, a boat I was on sank. A plastic thru hull fitting had failed. We spent the night on the capsized hull. We were supposed to go out to the Marquesas that day but we had shot a couple of nice Blacks on the patch reefs near Key West so we just said forget it. We stayed within close proximity to KW and she sank 4 miles offshore while we were in the water hunting. Thankfully that incident didn't happen in the Marquesas.

The first boat owner left port in sea conditions that he shouldn't have. He also didn't maintain his boat well and his bilge pump was in questionable condition. The second owner did poor boat maintenance and it cost this person their boat and forced us to spend an unpleasant night at sea.

Killian you have taught me some valuable safety lessons and you are making me think hard on this one. I've owned five boats since that first incident on the Island Runner and I've had a fire on my boat when a DC voltage regulator failed, I've had a fuel pump fail, I've run out of fuel, I've had a water jacket fail and I've had other unforseen incidents onboard; any of these or a thousand other things could happen on this crossing.

I feel thought that I'm taking a much smaller risk than the captain who left port with the 31' Island Runner with the twins, lower than my experienced friend who didn't maintain their boat.

Unless seas are dead flat (which they are forecast to be this weekend) you are taking a risk by simply leaving port. In some sea conditions an accident 3 miles or less offshore could be incredibly dangerous and could include the loss of life.

I maintain a SeaTow membership, meet my motor's maintenance schedule, carry a personal locator beacon onboard, have a working VHS as well as a backup handheld VHS in my emergency kit. My boat is unsinkable.

My boat will not leave port for this crossing if I don't see ideal sea conditions forecast for the entire time.

In addition to other safety advisories I give to my passengers, people on my boat are advised to stay alert and hold on during runs out of the mouth of the inlet

I'm crossing on the return trip with sbh and I hope to find someone to cross with on the way over. Even if I don't get a formal partner for the crossing on the way over I think there is a good chance that people will be running over when we leave and we can tag along and maintain contact via VHS.

Killian, you have opened my eyes a bit wider though which I appreciate; As a result of your interest in our safety as well as Ryan G's I'm going to file a formal float plan before we go and that backup VHS was bought after a phone call from Ryan this morning.

I feel that in addition to the return crossing that we will have a partner or at least radio contact on the way over. God bless us
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
hogphish

"Unless seas are dead flat (which they are forecast to be this weekend) you are taking a risk by simply leaving port. In some sea conditions an accident 3 miles or less offshore could be incredibly dangerous and could include the loss of life. "

Hell..we are taking a risk just by leaving the couch.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

I'd love to go if I were state side. The last few times I've gone, it's been on a 39 yellowfin with triple 350s. No problems :-)

Good luck and be safe!!

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote