Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Arisaka99

Unhappy I just don't get it.

Ok, I have a 2:00 static hold when I'm out of the water. But when I'm in the water, I can't make 30 seconds. What is the problem? Do I need to start doing tables again? I've tried waiting for ky dive reflex to kick in, but it hasn't been working. Please help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow-points expand on impact.

MALFC Member
Arisaka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
kywestfreediver

Send a message via AIM to kywestfreediver
Re: I just don't get it.

i'm the opposite, I can do a 1:30 or so in the water, but feel like i'm dying doing a 2:00 static on land
kywestfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Beandip613

I think if I knew you I could better judge you, i'm no expert but how calm are you in the water? are you swimming erratically? The best thing I could imagine you could do is just sit on the surface for a little bit and try to go to your happy place. Or on land, start drinking something like one certain flavored powerade or something and meditate immediately after drinking it so when you taste that flavor, your mind knows that it's cool down time. Make sure you finish the drink before/during the meditation. Sometimes a physical reminder like that is best. Just make sure it isn't alcoholic lol.
Beandip613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
MeTo

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT DO NOT DO ANY BREATH HOLD TRAINING IN THE WATER WITHOUT DIRECT SUPERVISION FROM A BUDDY TRAINED TO RESCUE AND RECOGNIZE A BLACKED OUT DIVER.
I have the same problem when I do static in the pool I end up with a 30-40sec shorter hold. The instructer who was teaching the course brought up a point that is often over looked, even on the surface water puts preasure on the body. I remember the first time I took a breath with a snorkel how hard it was and that would have been the water preasure. I think water is something like 8 times denser then air,maybe more. Anyways I suspect this is why you have this problem. If you have the time and the money a FII or PFI course is worth the money. I will end where I began DO NOT DO ANY BREATH HOLD TRAINING IN THE WATER WITHOUT DIRECT SUPERVISION FROM A BUDDY TRAINED TO RESCUE AND RECOGNIZE A BLACKED OUT DIVER IT WILL END IN DEATH,A LIFE GUARD IS NOT DIRECT SUPERVISION.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Arisaka99

The reason I ask is because this weekend I was in the process of taking my lifeguard class, and we had to go to the bottom of the pool so we could be rescued. I thought oh, it'll be a piece of cake, so I drop down, and maybe 15-20 seconds I'm dying for a breath.

MALFC Member
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
The reason I ask is because this weekend I was in the process of taking my lifeguard class, and we had to go to the bottom of the pool so we could be rescued. I thought oh, it'll be a piece of cake, so I drop down, and maybe 15-20 seconds I'm dying for a breath.
There may be more going on but on land you can be at rest before you start your static; if you swim out to the deep end of the pool and drop to the bottom and start the clock then, you've already been exerting yourself (moreso if your swimming technique is poor or your general conditioning is weak) and have the potential to have accumulated CO2. Also, everyone is different but most people would bouyant at the bottom of a pool so you would be spending further energy (more CO2 buildup) just staying down.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Arisaka99

That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus I get really strong contractions. I feel like I'm dying.

MALFC Member
Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus I get really strong contractions. I feel like I'm dying.
Maybe try and do some lap swimming or running; if you have a good cardio base your body will be more efficient at CO2 and 02 exchange. Breathhold training will be less effective if you are already winded before you start to dive. Sprint interval training/heavy cardio/anything to build VO2 max will force your body to work under a CO2 load and is going to be more beneficial than any sort aerobic exercise like jogging....

Find a way to be safe about it but you can also do CO2 tables while on a exercise bike. You will probably need to adjust your intervals.
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
Arisaka99

So I should start doing tables regularly? I plan to start working out a lot once I get my car. Do any of y'all have suggestions to get started running? I am going to join the military, and I will have to run, and I can't run for crap.

MALFC Member
Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
UnderWaterLover

I have the same problem, I get heavy contractions and light ones in 15 feet of water. I have heard the the the pressure exerted by the water presses your diaphram to a point that triggers the desire to breath. Yoga and diaphram stretches are supposed to help.

I have to be in the water for at least an hour before the contractions start to subside. Im also starting to practice holding my breath with a weight on my stomach.
UnderWaterLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Man-O-War
Lothario

Strong contractions are best way to trigger dive reflex. If you can stand them (always with someone watching over you!), make first dive of the day until you are very uncomfortable. When depth allows I dive bomb 70+ft on first dive of the day, and get contractions before I even get to the bottom, AND all the way up. However, reflex kicks in so strong, rest of the dive day is amazing. Be very careful doing the above, and use common sense.
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
rob102

When I first start my dives and when I start diving deeper, I usually have a strong urge to breath during right away that subsides after about 30 seconds. I just wait it out. I have the urge to breathe again later but I can ignore that for a while too. That is why it's so important to dive with an attentive partner. Once you start ignoring the urge to breathe, you can get into trouble.
rob102 is offline   Reply With Quote