Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Spearkid48

Abaco Bahamas info

Hey guys I'm new to spearboard and almost as new to spearfishing. Me and my buddy's wanna make a trip down to the abacos next year and were just wondering where the good spots to hit are. Never been to Bahamas and never speared in that kind of vis so any and all advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance
Spearkid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Nano

Re: Abaco Bahamas info

Welcome, kid. You'll find out that in-general people don't really give their spots away. Your best bet is to get there and hire a local guide to help you guys get some fish in the boat. Good luck and dive safe!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Kraken
I am the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Welcome, kid. You'll find out that in-general people don't really give their spots away. Your best bet is to get there and hire a local guide to help you guys get some fish in the boat. Good luck and dive safe!
This is pretty much right on. There is no such thing as too much networking. The more people you can meet either here in the states or when you get over to the bahamas, the better your chance at hitting productive areas. The guys from the east coast make regular trips across and know the areas well so if you can meet up with them and dive a few times they may invite you along for a bahamas trip. Or if you get over there, spend a day talking to the locals. All of them will claim to know the BEST spots but you have to talk to them and let them know you're serious or they will have no problem taking you to the reefs that get hit hard and you will waste your time.

Spearheads Spearfishing Episodes!
http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Spearkid48

Thanks guys appreciate the help... Just outta curiosity when's the best time to go I don't wanna go during the middle of tourist season
Spearkid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Nano

I wouldn't worry much about that in the Abacos. Avoid Bimini, Freeport, and Nassau and I think you'll do just fine.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Dieseldoctor250

If you're running across from the states, (central FL) I find it best to go Ft Pierce to Walkers Cay ( about 140mi) . Walkers customs is open. I always stay on Grand Cay, it's about 10 miles South. Rosies place has great accommodations, fuel , ice, general store, hardware store.

Don't bring any tanks, don't bring any triggered spearguns. Go buy a couple of the new Headhunter gorilla slings and a bunch of decent flopper shafts.

I have the most luck to the north west of walkers on Matenella reef. Don't even dive due east of walkers, you will be attacked by abundant numbers of sharks immediately.

There is some fun diving south of Grand, In carters and double breasted. I have been all over the place in the northern abacos, and that's the most bang for my buck.

Shoot me some questions, I will give you a ton of good spots, you really don't need numbers, just a map.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
redrumintl
Dive.Fish.Surf.Live

Hey I'm Daniel the founder of Red Rum International. I'm Going to the Abacos From May 14-May 18, staying in Elbow Cay. I am a pretty solid Spearfisherman, especially on a pole spear. I can free-dive up to 40 ft Comfortably with a spear but will be with some novices and would not like to extend passed 30ish. We are renting a boat and are looking to freedive some good spots. I am specifically looking to land some nice hogs and grouper. I understand that the Spearfishing gets better the further NW you travel in the Abacos. I don't want to extend the range of the boat but understand I may have to travel to find good grounds. Where do you suggest that I go?
What are the names of some of the reefs?
I have heard of good things happening off of Green Turtle & Treasure Cays,where else is good?
Also, I would like to grab some Conchs being that lobser wont be in season. What are some good spots to grab conchs? What about Starfish for my lady friends?
redrumintl is offline   Reply With Quote