Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
diehardfisher

Picking out a new rear handle gun

So last year I upgraded from a Rob Allen 120 to a custom midhandle gun and since then I can't hit anything with it and don't have the confidence to take the same shots I did on the rob Allen gun that I learned to spear with. I knew there would be an adjustment period to chang from euro to midhandle but I didn't expect it to feel so forced and awkward for me to shoot.

So the question I have is now that I am thinking about buying a rear handle gun what are your recommendations, I am looking for something pretty high end and am deciding between an abellan denton 120, a bleutec carbon gun, or an aimrite gun. The gun will probably be rigged with a slip tip and breakaway system.

Oh and my accuracy issues on the midhandle have nothing to do with the quality of the gun, it has been shot by people who just shoot midhandles and they hit bullseye time and again with it.
diehardfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Picking out a new rear handle gun

Go back to the Rob Allen that worked well for you?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
dr.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardfisher View Post
So last year I upgraded from a Rob Allen 120 to a custom midhandle gun and since then I can't hit anything with it and don't have the confidence to take the same shots I did on the rob Allen gun that I learned to spear with. I knew there would be an adjustment period to chang from euro to midhandle but I didn't expect it to feel so forced and awkward for me to shoot.

So the question I have is now that I am thinking about buying a rear handle gun what are your recommendations, I am looking for something pretty high end and am deciding between an abellan denton 120, a bleutec carbon gun, or an aimrite gun. The gun will probably be rigged with a slip tip and breakaway system.

Oh and my accuracy issues on the midhandle have nothing to do with the quality of the gun, it has been shot by people who just shoot midhandles and they hit bullseye time and again with it.
Want to improve target practice practice practice. Do not give up on your mid handle.

Mid handles aim different; do search.
dr.ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
phil herranen

what midhandle do you have ? it might just need to get ballasted and tuned in .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
phil herranen

i just looked at your older post and if this is the gun i built ,that you got from jack ,let me know , we may need to tune it in for your style

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
spearq8

Midhandle guns shoot differently and they might be inherently a little less accurate than rear handled guns (at least for me they are). Also going from floppered shaft to slip tip is a huge difference in impact point ... usually slip tips cause longer overhangs which make your impact point lower. Best is to test your setup on a static target and see where the impact point is at 1m then 3m and then 5m or 6m depending on the power of your gun. Midhandled guns have many advantages but they can also be difficult to get used to. A good well designed gun should be able to shoot straight ... but how high or how low the gun shoots can be very different from gun to gun especially when you factor in changes to shafts as well.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:10 AM   #7
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I have shot a crapton of guns
nothing shoots as good as my bleutecs...
If they werent so damn expensive I would only shoot acids, raptors, and oceanborns.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
spearq8

The Bluetecs are very nice guns and I really like the Raptor but to be honest I didn't like the Oceanborn. Way too much recoil and not very controllable. I only have the Oceanborn 125 and that comes with 4 x 14mm bands and I can't imagine shooting a 145 with 4 bands if the 125 already seems too much recoil. The 125 has 135cm band stretch and is setup to shoot a 160cm @ 8mm shaft ... there simply is no need for 4 bands @ 135cm band stretch for that shaft and probably 2 or at max 3 bands is all you need. I will play around with the setup a little more but for sure the first thing that needs looking at is the grip and setting it up with some morph plastic to absorb recoil a little better and this certainly is a 2 handed shooter and single handed shooting will probably lose a lot of power due to recoil and will also most likely shoot way left. Maybe the morph plastic will fix that a little but needs to be tested.

Another thing I didn't like was the line release on the gun. In one case I had a misfire which I figured was caused by too much tension on the line release from my breakaway bungee. I removed the pressure off the line release and a few seconds later the gun just shot by itself. Apparently if you have a little pressure on the line release and press the trigger the trigger will drop but the line release will still keep the shaft from shooting ... releasing the line release will then have a gun on a fired up fuse that can go off any time. Also the line release is welded on the gun with obviously not proper argon gas purging as it started rusting after only 2 dives. Stainless steel need proper gas around the weld during welding to avoid contamination which can cause a poor weld. Maybe these are small issues but they definitely need to be looked at.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
i just looked at your older post and if this is the gun i built ,that you got from jack ,let me know , we may need to tune it in for your style
talk about great customer service!

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The Bluetecs are very nice guns and I really like the Raptor but to be honest I didn't like the Oceanborn. Way too much recoil and not very controllable. I only have the Oceanborn 125 and that comes with 4 x 14mm bands and I can't imagine shooting a 145 with 4 bands if the 125 already seems too much recoil. The 125 has 135cm band stretch and is setup to shoot a 160cm @ 8mm shaft ... there simply is no need for 4 bands @ 135cm band stretch for that shaft and probably 2 or at max 3 bands is all you need. I will play around with the setup a little more but for sure the first thing that needs looking at is the grip and setting it up with some morph plastic to absorb recoil a little better and this certainly is a 2 handed shooter and single handed shooting will probably lose a lot of power due to recoil and will also most likely shoot way left. Maybe the morph plastic will fix that a little but needs to be tested.

Another thing I didn't like was the line release on the gun. In one case I had a misfire which I figured was caused by too much tension on the line release from my breakaway bungee. I removed the pressure off the line release and a few seconds later the gun just shot by itself. Apparently if you have a little pressure on the line release and press the trigger the trigger will drop but the line release will still keep the shaft from shooting ... releasing the line release will then have a gun on a fired up fuse that can go off any time. Also the line release is welded on the gun with obviously not proper argon gas purging as it started rusting after only 2 dives. Stainless steel need proper gas around the weld during welding to avoid contamination which can cause a poor weld. Maybe these are small issues but they definitely need to be looked at.
You are correct on a few items about the gun but let's set a few things straight.
1. You did not have a missfire. You had excesive tension on the line release that did not allow sear to go down. When you squeezed the trigger you shot the gun so the moment you removed tension it was expected for the shaft to take off since it was not engaged at that point.

2. I agree on the line release being welded maybe with wrong materials and i will bring it up to their attention.

3. Even though gun comes by default with 8mm shaft the sweet spot is 7.25mm or 9/32 and 3 16mm bands. It is a light gun and with that setup a single hand shooter.

4. The 145 is a completely different gun and a single hand shooter as well, I am shooting on mine and most customers that bought it a 11/32 shaft with 4 or 5 16mm bands. The weight of that gun is 10-11lb depending on setup.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

17801 S. Main street
Suite E
Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

To the OP so we don't derail this post either go back to the RA or if you are just looking for more power come over my shop to check out the Tea Sea spearguns or the Bleutecs. I might have what you are looking for.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

17801 S. Main street
Suite E
Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Behslayer

Ulusub is making a few of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GilGacula144RH3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	216073  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
drbotha

I have Rob Allen and Rabitech Stealth guns, they are very similar and accurate, I got 75kg and 64 kg Yellofin tunas with breakaway spear, with my 120barrel Rabitech. The drop head tip does not work so good-tried it
drbotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
drbotha

www.rabitech.com
drbotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotha View Post
so your first 2 posts since 2012 are on the same thread to pitch in for a brand?

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote