Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #31
primalpete

Re: commercial guns?

Who ever said scuba divers can't chest load spearguns?
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearhunter11 View Post
The double tap that is one of the best videos I have seen. I wish to dive that deep and do that kinda hunting, if only I could get that far out.
He just got lucky... don't let him fool you.

The only thing that makes a gun 'commercial' in my opinion is one thing... speed of reloading. Commercial shooters have to shoot alot of times, so a gun like a riffe, with 3 bands and a convoluted line system is not going to be ideal bc it takes too long to reload. Comm guys are down there to kill and kill fast, time is money, bottom time is money, daylight hours are money. Also, you don't have alot of time on the bottom in deeper spots which generally hold more/better fish, so again speed is important. I've seen guys use JBL's, Billers, Sea Hornets, and one guy use a Riffe (freeshafting).

I shoot a Sea Hornet with 2-3 shafts except on big wrecks then I use a single wrap lineshaft.. almost always with just one tight band.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #33
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalpete View Post
Who ever said scuba divers can't chest load spearguns?
I agree, the scuba BC etc. is really not a problem for chest (or often abdominal) loading of a speargun.

Also MegaBeast is correct in that speed (which equates to simplicity; more or less) is super important for the commercial scuba hunting I have done.

My favorite right now for commercial scuba hunting is a 110 MAKO ETR (enclosed track railgun). I've configured it to allow rapid transition from a line to a freeshaft mode and it works well with one band and the enclosed track makes reloading the shaft very quick.

Prior to a few years ago, I used an Ultimate brand speargun (for like 12 yrs), which was very nice, but it did not allow super quick transition from line to freeshaft.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #34
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Nice work Moose!!! Thought I was watchin in fast-forward for a second
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #35
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2Exhale View Post
Nice work Moose!!! Thought I was watchin in fast-forward for a second
You were to some extent..... I sped up most of the footage that involved traveling up or down and the stringing of the fish. The actual shooting and loading was real time footage.

Megabeast is right on point with the speed of reloading for commercial shooting, but it is just as important for me when hunting single fish as well. Being able to get several free shaft out of your gun quickly is an effective way to take large fish without the use of line gear. Note the gag in the video did what a big grouper does when shot but not killed. They struggle intensely to try and shake the shaft. When they can't, they either lay down to regain strength or hole up. Having your gun loaded with another shaft is key to landing a fish that won't go down with the first shot. Even on that big gag, when the second shaft was crossed in his head, the fight was over.

Spearfishing is a game of opportunity............... There is no opportunity in an unloaded speargun.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #36
Radi

I also have one of the those old Mares Competition; it has taken a lot of fish and abuse. Still works like the day I bought it!!!!

Is that tape or paint on your guns; it look awesome.
Radi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #37
FiftyFathoms

i dont know if someone mentioned already it but durability is a big factor for anything commerical. A speargun you can rely on and one that'll will last years is immensely important.

That being said ocean rihnos are beasts of guns. at least from my use and knowledge. They can take on heck of beating. and have hardley any recoil because they are so bulky(not always a bad thing)

I'm not sure if they marketed as it but they would make great guns for commerical use.

http://www.makospearguns.com/
Tell um' what you want, what you really, really want!
FiftyFathoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #38
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

~~ Hey, Florida Freedivers might still have some of those 'horns' that clip on to the barrel.
Cheers.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #39
SubmarinoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrasselin View Post
Pneumatic guns are still a mystery to me. Can you elaborate more on how it works? So fill the gun with 400psi of air which remains in a piston chamber. How do charge/cock to gun to fire and how often do you have to repressurize the gun? Thanks.

I used to own a 970 and a 1100 Cyrano, Sold them to get into powerband guns. Pneumatic spearguns work by compressing the air that in the existing chamber, as you load the shaft in the gun, that air goes to a different camber within the gun, outer camber. Once it's in-gauge the camber is full compress. When you fired the gun, compress air goes back to the inner camber expelling the shaft out with great force. (kind of like a piston on a reciprocating engine)

See the diagram.

Hope this helps.
SubmarinoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
JimC

Kenny's a heck of a shooter I watched him roll 3 gags on the way down in less time than he pulled two of those shots off in the video.

AmeraCat 31 XP

Protect Your Fishing Rights! Join the FRA TODAY!!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote