Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
hammerhead786

Fort Lauderdale report 5/1/09 & 5/3/09

5/1/09 I put my gear on my back, slung the kayak over my head and walked down to the beach. Think anyone would stop to let me cross the road carrying all that? Not in this lifetime. I knew it was going to be a great dive because when i got to the sand there were two beautiful girls laying out (on their backs), topless each bearing a pair of perfect naturals! I had to detour my path to not walk over them... I paddled out to a wreck on third reef. Dropped in 30 foot snotty vis and a ripping south current. The great thing is I had set up for a strong N current. After some huffing, puffing and crab crawling i made the wreck. Fish were everywhere! The snapper were so thick I had to sweep my gun back and fourth to see through them. Shot a 17 inch hog and stoned him. Forgot to bring my stringer down so I had to use one of my double sided quick clips to secure the fish. I put the quick clip through the hogs gill and clipped it to the d ring on my BC and on the other end my little Q40 LED light as a stopper. Another few swipes through the clouds of snapper and I bang another hog. I figure I'll call a day at this point. I decide to leave the hog on my gun's shaft but I reload it to keep a clean presentation and not foul my real line with the stringer in the sick current. Now I've got a Dead hog clipped to my BC, Another on the end of the shaft of my loaded gun. Some Mac Gyver type spearfishing indeed... I untie my reel from the wreck and as i'm drifting away from the structure i start thinking I'll bet i can get another hog or mutton with this one still on the shaft? As I clear through the clouds of snapper I see a couple of just legal Amberjack. I think about it and decide to pass. Then a reef donkey comes out of the murk. About a 40-50lber. I decide to bang him and go for a ride but before I pull the trigger right behind him come the Cobia. Amberjack or cobia...??? easy math. There were two small one's, one medium fat one (the one I shot) and another a good bit larger than the rest. I want the hoss but I couldn't close the distance on him and with the hog on the shaft I knew it wasn't happening. I took aim at the next biggest and nailed him right behind the gill plate dead center. We wrestled for a few minutes and I made my way up. Catching the yack I could not reel in with the cobia, two hogs and my gun was no easy task but I managed to git 'er done. I was treated to an almost free ride in courtesy of the strong east wind and the beautiful sound of the cobia thunking my hull all the way to the beach. As it turns out the topless girls were still there, still topless and they had never seen hog fish or cobia... I had to take the time out of my busy day to show them these incredible fishes. It was the right thing to do. On the way home even A1A had a big gap of car-lessness like Moses himself had parted the seas. Yep, this was a good after work dive!

5/3/09 Did third reef ledge dropped off friends boat. 60ft vis almost no current and 77 degree water temp. Saw very little in the 50 minutes we roamed. About half way down the ledge I shot a nice hog (about 18 inches) but the tips on my point didn't open and he got off and slipped way under the ledge. It was so fishless we opted to leave the ledge and head due east following some fingers and work the outside third reef. We past the ledge and checked over the islands. Nothing but two huge lobsters just sitting right out in the open in the sand. One looked like he had a 5-6 inch carapace. A good dive but a little lonely fish wise.

Next dive was on a wreck. I got 4 hogs from 14-18 inches. My buddy got a 22&1/2 inch super male and another around 14". My other buddy shot one and it ripped off. Got back to the boat with a good feeling and a stringer full of fish. Unfortunately the ladder fell off the boat from the chop picking up and we had to bounce it to retrieve the ladder. Did an extra ten minute off gas and all was well. A nice day under and above the water but I would have liked to have had the opp for a shot on some pelagics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptainEDCobiaFNL.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	101071  
hammerhead786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
love2shootfish

Re: Fort Lauderdale report 5/1/09 & 5/3/09

Wow!!! What an awesome day.!!! wish I got to see those good luck charms before I hit the water. Lol maybe oneday!..lol still had a fun day . sounds like you had a goodone as well . Keep it up, I know I will sure try. -T
love2shootfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Looks like it was a good day!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Trailrunner

Sounds like a really fun, productive day. What a great combination you have in S. FL, -- good vis that is in close. Must have been a workout, but obviously well worth it. And, that was very kind to help the young Ladies with their interest in your Sea Creatures.
Trailrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

awesome report..sounds like you handled the situtation perfectly...

do you ever freedive off your yak? if so, give me a hollar, we have a nice little group of freedive yak spearos and we hit the ft lauderdale area almost weekly
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
DiveGal
Today's the day!

Great report! Thanks for sharing. I'm surely going to get out on FRIDAY!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Sounds like a hell of a day...you got all the good things in one trip. Spearing, nice catch, topless girls to greet and educate! Way to go on the cobe.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
reef roamer

great story, nice fish. going to lauderdale tomorrow to work for a week. maybe i'll bring my dive gear......and gun...................

hey wana sea my fish????????

Koahspearguns.com.
Ladygadivers
reef roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
D The Impaler

awesome report..too bad you didn't bring a camera with you on the dive, you could have had your new friends display your fish for you