Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Bill McIntyre

Castle Rock is hot

And so is my boat- finally- at least a bit.

After getting a 58 pounder in April, I had a hell of a dry spell. It wasn't just me- guys twice as good as I am were not getting fish on my boat. Thankfully something changed. I've had four good trips in a row, and today was a fifth.

I went out with Eric Stewart and Dam Nguyen, so I felt that even if I didn't get anything, someone would. These guys are serious killers.

At the first stop, vis was poor, bait was non-existent, and we didn't see a thing.

At the second stop, Eric was out in front of the boat, Dam was behind it, and I was sitting on the swim step just getting my fins on when I heard Eric shout that he was on. (I've really got to learn to suit up faster). So I directed Dam toward Eric to provide help if needed, and climbed back into the boat to do duty as photographer and weigh master. Eric came back with the skinniest wsb I've ever seen. It was 53 inches long, but weighed just 42 pounds. I'm afraid I almost never measure the length of fish so I hope someone who does can tell me how much a 53 inch fish should weigh. This one seemed very long for its weight.

At the next stop, the water was finally very clear. I didn't dive as often as usual since I thought I could see about as far down as I usually dive. There were two beds near each other. Eric and I went one way, and Dam went the right way. After Eric and I were back in the boat, we saw Dam coming with a white sea bass. His weighed about 42 pounds too, but was much shorter and fatter.

So on to a fourth stop. It was getting pretty tiring for the elderly, but who cares? We anchored on the edge of a bed, and they elected to go in opposite directions down the outside looking for yellowtail, while I went into the bed trying to play catchup on white sea bass. After about 30 minutes, I saw Dam in the boat waving a yellowtail at me, so I decided to head out to the edge of the bed. Dam said he had seen two singles, and taken this 31 pounder. Not bad. Eric said he had seen one, but he and the fish spooked each other. Eric and I hunted the edge of the bed for a while longer, but then it was time to come home. Its late enough now.

I've had a few trips where I was beginning to believe that luck trumped youth and vigor, but Dam and Eric brought me back to reality. Still, it was a hell of a lot of fun to see some blood on the boat, even if I didn't contribute to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	132746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	132747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	132748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	132749  

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 07-24-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
jcjkspearfish
John Volker Jr.

Re: Castle Rock is hot

you guys killed it! way to go.
jcjkspearfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Q
Simi Valley Spearo

You Sooooooo need to retire Bill...

Q.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Bitches! Nice haul guys. Bill, you're on top of it for sure.
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I had a 53.5 incher that went almost 55 this year. That fish looks like it was starving.
Looks like a great trip, nice fish!
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Parker View Post
I had a 53.5 incher that went almost 55 this year. That fish looks like it was starving.
Thanks. That confirms my impression.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
You Sooooooo need to retire Bill...

Q.
I did. That's why I was diving on a week day.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
tripOD
Matthew Johnson Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I did. That's why I was diving on a week day.
Funny !sh
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
tripOD
Matthew Johnson Price

And great job guys!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
mermaidgirl

mermaidgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
Rick Hadley

think i may have seen you guys around 6:00. i was just leaving in a diesel panga.
Rick Hadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
sucinimad
`

Guys, I gotta say, Bill runs a first class charter boat. He puts you on fish, takes your pictures and writes your reports. The only thing is he doesn't seem to realize that he's not getting paid for any of this!

Today's dive is one of those that you just had to share. Like Bill said, viz at the first two spots were so discouraging that we just wanted to dive in clear water more than anything. Fortunately for us, we found it at the third spot. After swimming around in confused currents for an hour or so, I made a drop and came into a large kelp room. Everything was so clear, from the sharp outlines of the kelp stalks to the wall of blue behind them. These are cracks we were feigning for. Suddenly, there was a silhouette charging at me. From far way, the shape looked like a small black seabass. But, as it got closer, the pearly scales gave it away. Man, it was beautiful, right up until the moment the shaft made an entry behind the fish's gill plate...

We moved to yet another spot. And once again, I found myself starting at the blue, only to be startled by a stealthy approach from a black seabass. The fish was obviously not afraid. This gave me an opportunity to try and pet the giant. It shifted gear and left me in the dust when my hand was no more than a foot away from its belly. Oh well, dive's over. The little voice told me it was time to go up for air, no wait... is that a...? Oh, lord! A beautiful yellowtail rushed in, said hello, grabbed my shaft and took off like a bat out of hell. Too bad he didn't realize the shaft was connected to my float line! Tee hee!
sucinimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
fisherman.Ivan
100# Club

Bill......

LONG BEACH NEPTUNE
fisherman.Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
Sebastien

Good jobs guys, YT and WSB in the same day that's what we live for!!!!
Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
undrH2Ohntr
Loco para Jurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucinimad View Post
Guys, I gotta say, Bill runs a first class charter boat. He puts you on fish, takes your pictures and writes your reports. The only thing is he doesn't seem to realize that he's not getting paid for any of this!
I have to agree. It's always fun diving Bill's boat whether we get fish or not (fish is a bonus). Bill has got some of the funniest stories. It's nice to get away from home and dive a different place once and a while.

I tried to give Bill $5 to fillet my fish but he said, "Uhhhh NO!" I guess it's an almost perfect charter business

Still burning inside that I blew it on that yellow but I can't be too mad with a beautiful WSB. Perfect timing too, friends in town and a big BBQ tonight

Thanks Bill and Dam the Killing Machine.