Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-05-2022, 04:55 PM   #1
Bob Ballew

Dive now: Bad Weather coming for 9-10-22

...The swell and wind will build by Friday, going up to 7-10 feet along the southern CA coastline and offshore. Probably remnants of the Class 2 hurricane currently moving north off the Baja coast that will downgrade to a tropical storm.
...Lots of dorado off the backside of Catalina and south down along the 152, 277, 312 ridge. Still big Bluefin in a upside down "U" shape bending around the west end of San Clemente island.
...Guys, try to avoid jumping kelp paddies with fishermen already there ahead of you...Lots of paddies out there....show some curtesy and go find your own. The dumbass few divers who are jumping paddies are making enemies toward all of us. Yes, they don't "own" the ocean but, sooner or later, a hard-headed diver is going to suffer the wrath of an equally hard-headed pissed-off fisherman..road (err, paddy) rage won't be a pretty sight....to the Parker divers, are you listening??

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-05-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:53 AM   #2
carrasco

Re: Dive now: Bad Weather coming for 9-10-22

Bob,
We were out last Saturday and found a super nice paddy full of dorado about 4 miles from Two Harbors. We dove in, hit three fish and then the Sport King sport boat rode right on us within 25 yards. The captain was uncharacteristically friendly and apologetic over the loud speaker asking to slide in. There were fish for everyone and no one on the Sport King casted in our direction so, why not. Divers and H/L guys CAN work together, but it would seem, only when the sport boat shows up second.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

Re: Dive now: Bad Weather coming for 9-10-22

...It is good to hear some positive regarding the two sides....I have had both, positive and negative experiences with charter boats...One pulled up near me on a kelp bed and let the rod guys cast lures at me to drive me off..that decision cost them some lures when I whipped out my trusty shark sticker....
...I try to cut them some slack, as they are under lots of pressure to produce volume of fish for their customers...so, I controlled my temper on that episode and didn't meet the captain on the dock....(hey, I was younger, dumber and in better shape in those days... Anyway, currently there are lots of kelp paddies holding large volumes of fish out there, so, it is not necessary to jump paddies...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote