Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Anybody else done till next spring/summer?

Back in my earlier days, I use to dive year round. I can remember diving in 53F.-55F. water in this area. Now, being a lot "older" my internal furnace doesn't produce as much heat. With all the new fish rules in place. I'm not that eager to freeze my butt off underwater. So, I'm done till spring/summer depending all on all the new upcoming 2023 fish laws. Wishing everybody a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:50 PM   #2
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte
Re: Anybody else done till next spring/summer?

The key to cold water diving is to stay warm before the dive and get warm after the dive. 3 layers while down works. I used a vest with hoody attached under other layers
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 06:33 AM   #3
SEATUX

A long time ago I used to dive under the ice, in a Wisconsin Lake.
I wore a 7mil Farmer John and jacket Wet Suit ( which was the new rage, improved from the high waisted pants and jacket system). The trick I used was to take a hot shower before hand and fill the area between the suit and my skin with hot water ( we had a cottage on the lake, so that was easily done) Thus adding warmth and eliminating that first trickle of cold water down you back. The hands still got very cold tho.
Fast forward almost 40+ years.
My boat has hot water ( heated by the engines ) same trick, fill the suit before the dive, and now use it again after some of the dives to warm up .
We've also learned that a one piece farmer John suit is warmer and less restrictive than the old farmer john and jacket..Go Figure!
I no longer remember the % stat, but your head looses a disproportionate amount of heat, so a Really good hood is Key!
And snug around the neck so it doesn't pump water every time you turn your head. Proper fit of the suit is Critical.
But I agree, Summer time is the better time for diving!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
sharpshooter

I believe it's 7-10 percent head heat loss according to newer studies vs. anywhere from 40-80 percent heat loss from theories long ago. Some old Army manuals stated 40-45 percent head heat loss which is incorrect. My previous statement of 80% heat loss should of been 20%. I had the numbers switched. Guess, too much eggnog this morning.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 12-25-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: updated head heat loss percentage numbers
Old 12-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
I believe it's 80% head heat loss. Use to be a PADI certification test question about 40 years ago.
You're probably right.
70% came to my mind, but I wasn't sure, it's been so long ago!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
Dbrown

Done until water temps back above 65. Have 6 months of grouper and snapper in freezer. My parents got the Hogfish for Christmas. Hope all have a great holiday.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #7
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

I’ve found that mid winter, 20 miles west of Hernando Beach, holds some nice fish. They are holed up. My short line gun built by Ray Odor cleaned those fish out. I mounted a light on the muzzle. Not very many gags running around in 57 degree water but I’d find holes packed with fish for the taking.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #8
speargunking

im with you..nothing you use as a wet suit helps when you come off a dive with blue lips.. and your teeth are frozen.. I use to dive all winter, but half of the dive should be fun,, not freezing my butt off.. yes they make wetsuits and hot water.. but my problem is last season i got off a dive and my wife said that my lips were dark blue.. thats not enjoyable.. and has anyone heard when gag's will open back up next year?.. use to be june.. but i heard its a longer closure.. figures that they keep taking limits from us time and time again.. and dont get me started on red snapper.. which are EVERYWHERE...

25 foot proline "Awesome Angler"

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/capjay.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...CnkD4zNZ8w#t=0

Click on Links above for Grouper digging Video's..
speargunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #9
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speargunking View Post
im with you..nothing you use as a wet suit helps when you come off a dive with blue lips.. and your teeth are frozen.. I use to dive all winter, but half of the dive should be fun,, not freezing my butt off.. yes they make wetsuits and hot water.. but my problem is last season i got off a dive and my wife said that my lips were dark blue.. thats not enjoyable.. and has anyone heard when gag's will open back up next year?.. use to be june.. but i heard its a longer closure.. figures that they keep taking limits from us time and time again.. and dont get me started on red snapper.. which are EVERYWHERE...
I believe as of right now gags for recreational won't open till September 2023.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #10
CatDiver

If it's a nice day, we'll go. It's still better than sitting at home. We'll just bring hot water and may only dive once or twice if it's really cold.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #11
jbsrq

I'm always down to dive on a nice day and shoot big sheepshead in cold water if that's the only option.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote