Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
GandyGirl

Fishing regulations iphone App

It’s tricky to stay informed about the latest fishing regulations. Slot sizes, bag limits, seasons, and closed areas are frequently changing. I’ve found myself reeling in a species that I don’t usually catch wondering: what is this thing? Can I keep it? The sticker I have plastered to the side of my kayak is at least 3 years old; I know it’s out of date, and the tiny pictures don’t help me much with species identification. Its obvious, there is a need for a more reliable ways to keep up with fishing regulations.

To make it easier to stay on the legal side of things, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council has just launched a regulations app for iphones and ipads. The App is free and allows users to access the most up-to-date commercial and recreational federal fishing regulations for species managed by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council. The app also provides information on fish identification, measurement, marine sanctuaries and closures.

If you’re interested in downloading the free App you can visit the App store and search “Gulf Council,” and click on the Council logo.

The Council hopes to develop a similar App compatible with other smart phones in the future. And currently, the Council is developing a regulations hotline that will provide you with the most current regulations in the federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico. I will be sure to let you know when those things are finalized. If you find this App to be useful please spread the word.

Your Chum,
Emily Muehlstein
Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council
GandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
sniper
Team Bottom Feeder

Re: Fishing regulations iphone App

Just tried on my Droid x and no app. there yet. It is a great idea. Ill be waiting.
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
fishingdude
Lost at Sea.....

Send a message via AIM to fishingdude

get an iphone!! just downloaded it. looks good. How often will the updates come out?

4-6 is always better than 9-5

Check out my YouTube Channel:
SPEARFISHING VIDEOS
fishingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
normanhghntr

great idea!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
itsjust.mark

You can launch an app but not keep the website regs up to date. Thanks for doing something for the majority of users...
itsjust.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
gcracker89

Sniper I did the same thing as soon as I read about it in the paper I tried several times before I reread the article, Darn I have a Droid
Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
444kyle

will it still work when there's no signal or does it download directly to phone. being it would be pretty useless if signal is needed to access it. except for arguing with your budy's at the house if things are open or not, or what length you can shoot.
444kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
matt888
Matt Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444kyle View Post
will it still work when there's no signal or does it download directly to phone. being it would be pretty useless if signal is needed to access it. except for arguing with your budy's at the house if things are open or not, or what length you can shoot.
You download it to the iphone and update it initially with a 3G or wifi signal. You don't need to have a signal when you're 50 miles out to view the regs...

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
ichthyophobia

I loaded the app and the first thing I see is a warning stating "regulation information is for reference purposes only. It is your responsibility to make sure you are in compliance with the most current regulations published".

Well, I thought that's what this app if for, no???

It states that the Gag limit thru 5/31 is zero, and 2 within the 4-grouper aggregate. Huh?

For permit, it states a size limit and bag limit as None Specified, and says State Regulations may apply.

And then if you click on the State Regulations tab, it takes you back to the app store so you can purchase state regulations for $7. So much for "free".

It's a nice reference source, but I'm not ready to trust it with an FWC officer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandyGirl View Post

To make it easier to stay on the legal side of things, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council has just launched a regulations app for iphones and ipads. The App is free and allows users to access the most up-to-date commercial and recreational federal fishing regulations for species managed by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council. The app also provides information on fish identification, measurement, marine sanctuaries and closures.

Your Chum,
Emily Muehlstein
Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council
Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Lazy Bones

Must have been a pretty easy app to develop.

"Is this fish legal?"

"No, the season is closed."
Lazy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
JPscuba3

Thumbs up Re: Fishing regulations iphone App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Bones View Post
Must have been a pretty easy app to develop.

"Is this fish legal?"

"No, the season is closed."
best response i've seen for anything having to do with regulations. i'm making it my facebook status. lol

www.scuba7.com
www.facebook.com/scuba7divecenter
www.optimistclubperryfl.org
JPscuba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
fisherking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyophobia View Post
I loaded the app and the first thing I see is a warning stating "regulation information is for reference purposes only. It is your responsibility to make sure you are in compliance with the most current regulations published".

Well, I thought that's what this app if for, no???

It states that the Gag limit thru 5/31 is zero, and 2 within the 4-grouper aggregate. Huh?

For permit, it states a size limit and bag limit as None Specified, and says State Regulations may apply.

And then if you click on the State Regulations tab, it takes you back to the app store so you can purchase state regulations for $7. So much for "free".

It's a nice reference source, but I'm not ready to trust it with an FWC officer!

Downloaded the app, and overall looks good. very useful....

Have to agree with Icthyophobia's comment :

... gag limit thru 5/31 of zero , and 2 within the 4 - grouiper aggregate...HUH ?
fisherking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
rhyne

what a great idea. hopefully this will catch on in other areas real soon

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Stick 'EM
Eat Em Raw

I'm calling it the why not to travel to the gulf to fish app! Only thing that would make it better is to add a FRA donation link instead of the BS reg. redirect.