Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
WestCoastKiller
San Diego

Send a message via AIM to WestCoastKiller
Equipments...

What is up everybody.

First of all I am extremely poor and need to know if anybody has an extra dive knife laying around or one they can sell me for five bucks with one of those types of sheath where the knife doesn't fall out. I need it for stabbing fish brains and what not.

Second... I appropriated and old lobster buoy from my work (dock) in point loma.

Is it safe to use as my float? What about for paddy hopping? I was also thinking of using the top half of my surfboard that I taco'ed last year. the foam and center balsa are exposed however. Whats the best way to attach a line to either of these? Talk about cheap. Anyways as long as it doesn't look too terrible and works safely. I don't really care.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Chris
Clairemont

How NOT to use a speargun
WestCoastKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
C monster
Do Rad Dough

Re: Equipments...

That float will work perfectly. I actually think it looks pretty cool. Attach a bungie or floatline to it and you're good to go. Regarding needing a knife... Buy a cheap, sani safe kitchen knife from target or the grocery store. That's what I use. When they break or get lost, I just get another one. No need to spend 40 bucks on a "dive knife". Also, if you want some cheap gear, look on ebay. I get stuff really cheap on there all the time, as I am broke too.

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
SDspearo

If you have a grinder you can also go to the thrift store, buy an old wood handle steak knife, grind a dagger point and drill the handle for a loop. $1.00
SDspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Kwallruss

great tip
Kwallruss is offline   Reply With Quote