Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
DavidTaylor

Question Reel on a sawed off magnum.

Does anyone have experience putting a reel on a jbl sawed off magnum? Will putting screws into the aluminum weaken it? And yes I know, I shoot a jbl but I'm a full time college student and the gun was given to me so it's better than the pole spear I had been using!
DavidTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
Fox55

Re: Reel on a sawed off magnum.

probably not but I mile JBL always just filled up with water anyways I wouldn't bother with a real. just put a double wrap on there if you need a little more line to get to the surface. I haven't even put a real on my 110 but that's just me
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
popgun pete

Two "worm-drive" metal hose clamps are the usual method to attach a reel to those guns.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor View Post
Does anyone have experience putting a reel on a jbl sawed off magnum? Will putting screws into the aluminum weaken it? And yes I know, I shoot a jbl but I'm a full time college student and the gun was given to me so it's better than the pole spear I had been using!
Sawed off magnum is a good gun, seen big fish killed with them "back in the day"

I have put reels on them, lots of them. DO NOT DRILL THAT GUN. Never had one sink unless the plugs were intentionally removed. Best bet is to find the JBL Reel that is meant for that gun. It "clamps on" without removing pieces of track to use clamps.

I will try to find one of those reels and post it. I think JBL quit making them, but I still see them in shops.

Dont listen to the JBL Bashing. There are a lot of old divers like myself that killed a ton of huge fish back then with those guns when the spear gun choices were fewer here on the gulf coast. Hell, my friend Sterlin killed huge fish with them, and guys were killing big fish with rene cavaleros before that.

KC
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Mighty KC

Call JBL, they say this one comes with an adapter for all JBL Metal guns.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-jblr100/...metal-gun-reel

Last edited by Mighty KC; 04-07-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty KC View Post
Sawed off magnum is a good gun, seen big fish killed with them "back in the day"

I have put reels on them, lots of them. DO NOT DRILL THAT GUN. Never had one sink unless the plugs were intentionally removed. Best bet is to find the JBL Reel that is meant for that gun. It "clamps on" without removing pieces of track to use clamps.

I will try to find one of those reels and post it. I think JBL quit making them, but I still see them in shops.

Dont listen to the JBL Bashing. There are a lot of old divers like myself that killed a ton of huge fish back then with those guns when the spear gun choices were fewer here on the gulf coast. Hell, my friend Sterlin killed huge fish with them, and guys were killing big fish with rene cavaleros before that.

KC

Everything he said is correct. I have SOM and a modified one with longer, stiffer tube with one of the JBL reels on it. Both great guns and have killed a lot of fish. I lend them to my buddies who want to try spearfishing, they still work like a charm.