Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
sharpshooter

Anybody been out lately out of JP or Clwr?

Was wondering mainly about bottom temp. and vis.. There should be plenty of reports after this weekend. Amberjack opens May1st..Remember bag limit of 1 per person and 34" length to the "fork".
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Anybody been out lately out of JP or Clwr?

We are heading out for an AJ slay fest on Saturday seas permitting! Will post a report Sunday.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
sharpshooter

Good luck Kevin. Seas should be about 1 1/2'. Bet the wrecks and springs will be busy with fisherman too.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:17 AM   #4
CatDiver

We did a shallow day out of Clearwater last Friday (4/23). 3 35 foot spots. Temp was same top to bottom in that depth - about 75 degrees. Viz was probably 20 foot horizontal but a lot of particulate. On the last dive of the day there was a ton of the floating algae/goop stuff that we often get in May. Not as bad as I've seen it, but we decided next trip out probably going to want to be in 60 feet of water or more until the goop goes away. We shot a handful of ok hogs and mangroves and made fish sandwiches on a new boat grill.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #5
sharpshooter

Was out a few days ago trolling for kings in the shipping channel. Heard on the vhf one guy complaining of gumbo in 60' while bottom fishing. Was all over his lead sinker and sardine.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #6
CatDiver

Yikes, got to go deeper I guess to avoid the gumbo
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #7
sharpshooter

Lots of boats out of Johns Pass today. King of the beach fishing tournament for king fish and Spanish mackerel. We didn't enter. Good thing. We caught 9 mackerel and kept 4 decent size. Not any would of been winners. A big 0 on the kings. Even hit the shipping channel. Plenty of boats out there. We didn't see much catching. Water color on the surface looked good. Bet, the wrecks out deep were busy with divers and fisherman for AJ's. Not to mention the guys trolling for kings.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Lots of boats out of Johns Pass today. King of the beach fishing tournament for king fish and Spanish mackerel. We didn't enter. Good thing. We caught 9 mackerel and kept 4 decent size. Not any would of been winners. A big 0 on the kings. Even hit the shipping channel. Plenty of boats out there. We didn't see much catching. Water color on the surface looked good. Bet, the wrecks out deep were busy with divers and fisherman for AJ's. Not to mention the guys trolling for kings.
Yeah, no way in hell would I have enjoyed diving today, figuring over 700 boats were on the water for that tournament ALONE, and trolling all over creation.

Going out tomorrow and hoping for some good conditions and fish.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

We ended up canceling our Saturday run for AJ’s. We were going 75 miles NW of Clearwater and that cold front pushed far enough south to cause a 15 knot NE wind up there. A friend went but he said it was rough…..so turned out we made the right call.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Yeah, no way in hell would I have enjoyed diving today, figuring over 700 boats were on the water for that tournament ALONE, and trolling all over creation.

Going out tomorrow and hoping for some good conditions and fish.
Just skip watched the King of the Beach video. Winning king was 54.06 pounds. Spanish mackerel was 5.54 pounds. 594 teams and 2300 anglers. Still lots of boats and people just for that. Then, add in people going after AJ's. Busy day on the water. Bad day to be a fish.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
grey2112

Quote:
Just skip watched the King of the Beach video. Winning king was 54.06 pounds. Spanish mackerel was 5.54 pounds. 594 teams and 2300 anglers. Still lots of boats and people just for that. Then, add in people going after AJ's. Busy day on the water. Bad day to be a fish.
We went out Sunday - amazing conditions up top, good viz for the most part, though a little gumbo-ey in shallower. Not much to shoot (legally) - never saw any keeper AJ. Ended the day with a bunch of mangos and a single hog. Still a nice day out on my buddy's 35 foot Contender (I could get spoiled!).
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:43 AM   #12
Seal Rock

MAY 02:

Awesome day on the water 4-10 miles due west from Honeymoon Pass. Surface and bottom temps 75-78° throughout the tidal swings, my Shearwater showed 78° in 40+.

No luck or vis in 15-25’, 30-35’ yielded 4 “nice hogs” within 10 minutes of my first drop, vis 15’. Vis improves slightly with depth. No shootable gags or AJs, lots of hogs, some over 20" in the boat.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hogs.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	246935  
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #13
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
MAY 02:

Awesome day on the water 4-10 miles due west from Honeymoon Pass. Surface and bottom temps 75-78° throughout the tidal swings, my Shearwater showed 78° in 40+.

No luck or vis in 15-25’, 30-35’ yielded 4 “nice hogs” within 10 minutes of my first drop, vis 15’. Vis improves slightly with depth. No shootable gags or AJs, lots of hogs, some over 20" in the boat.

Thanks for the report. Water is warming up fast. Is that a 1/2 mil suit you're wearing? Those Shearwater dive computers are almost bullet proof. Love my Shearwater Perdix AI computer. Looks like you're wearing a Teric.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #14
Red Tide

We got out Sunday and it was O.K.. Decent vis past 40 ft but not a fishy as usual. Heavy current. Also could have worn my 5 mm top.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
Seal Rock

Quote:
Thanks for the report. Water is warming up fast. Is that a 1/2 mil suit you're wearing? Those Shearwater dive computers are almost bullet proof. Love my Shearwater Perdix AI computer. Looks like you're wearing a Teric.
Sorry for the late response, life gets busy at times. Yes, love my Teric. Easy menus whether doing tec or recreational. It’s is a 1/2 mil, figured that out on a dive I made when it was 66 a few months back... brrrr!

How about you? Are you diving the Teric as well?
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote