Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
AKSandman

Masks for small faces

I recently purchased an aqualung technisub micro mask online. I know, I know, you really need to try on a mask first... But, there aren’t any shops that stock low volume freediving masks within 500 miles of my location. Moving on. The mask skirt fits my face very well, but my eyebrows rub on the top of the lenses and frame.

Does anybody have recommendations for a mask that fits smaller faces like the technisub micro mask but has a bit more room for your eyebrows?

I think I will order 3-4 more masks and return the ones that don’t fit.
AKSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Masks for small faces

I know Mako has a "minimus" mask that is low volume for free diving. The owner of Mako (his name is Dano) provides a fit guarantee. So you couldn't go wrong with trying that mask.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
I know Mako has a "minimus" mask that is low volume for free diving. The owner of Mako (his name is Dano) provides a fit guarantee. So you couldn't go wrong with trying that mask.
Normally I would agree with that recommendation - but... The aqualung mask he already has is very similar in shape and fit to the MAKO minimus mask.

perhaps this mask might have a better chance to fit him?

https://www.makospearguns.com/El-Baj...sk-p/mebfm.htm
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #4
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

If your eyebrows are rubbing you need a LARGER mask

2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
popgun pete

Why not ask the manufacturer (Technisub)? Many European brands (Technisub are made in Italy) have a range of sizes and if you estimate where your current mask needs to be bigger feed that information on to them and they may have a suggestion. As you know masks really need to be tried on unless one has a “standard face” and can fit a range of masks. Check out some of the frameless masks which use the lens as the structural element. Also “old skool” oval masks pretty well fitted anybody. I used one for a decade.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
Ron S

I have a fairly narrow face, combined with neanderthal brows, and have found the Omer Bandit to be one of the few masks that fits me without issues...
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Marco

That particular mask (and all the imitations, that are many) have that problem; if you have long eyelashes, they will touch the glasses.

Get another model. Staying with Mako brand, I would get this one instead: https://www.makospearguns.com/Catali...ask-p/mcfm.htm

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work

Last edited by Marco; 04-19-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
Alec

Sporasub Mystic

/thread
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSandman View Post
I recently purchased an aqualung technisub micro mask online. I know, I know, you really need to try on a mask first... But, there aren’t any shops that stock low volume freediving masks within 500 miles of my location. Moving on. The mask skirt fits my face very well, but my eyebrows rub on the top of the lenses and frame.

Does anybody have recommendations for a mask that fits smaller faces like the technisub micro mask but has a bit more room for your eyebrows?

I think I will order 3-4 more masks and return the ones that don’t fit.
Try the Cressi Nano !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Try the Beuchat Shark. Low volume and more space than the aqualung.

https://www.spearamerica.com/product...ow-volume-mask

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 AM   #11
AKSandman

Thumbs up Re: Masks for small faces

I reached out to Technisub about another similar mask without any response. I decided to order the el bajo and the shark mask. The el bajo didn’t even come close to fitting (couldn’t get the seal to fit up to my face at all) but the shark mask was perfect! Thank you to Spear America for the quick shipping and great service! The seal fits great and there is just enough room inside for a comfortable fit. I did find that the silicone coating on the lenses was much harder to get off than other masks I have cleaned prior to their first use. (3 washings with toothpaste and it still fogged up badly) I ended up just burning it and did that twice before it seemed to be good. Took it out diving and it performed quite well. Thank you all for the recommendations!
AKSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #12
Dbrown

Glad you found the perfect mask for you. You may want to order a couple more. I lost a mask that fit me very well and have not found one with quite as good of a fit. I have now switched to a go Pro mask, so likely would have been only using the one I lost as a back up at this time. Sometimes the one you love gets discontinued, so if you have the means, having a couple of back ups is a consideration. Otherwise, you just repeat the process again and see which of the newer generation masks is the right answer for you.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote