Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Tailchasers

Where to get a Lowrance unit fixed?

Hey fellow spearos! I am sorry to post this in this section, but I figured I'd get better local response here.

I have a Lowrance LMS-339 that came on my boat. It worked great, and then one time I hooked it up and it just wouldn't turn on. I have another, bigger Lowrance unit on the boat and switching the cables did no good. I troubleshot the obvious things, such as corrosion and loose conections.

My question is...is there any place local to take this thing to get fixed besides mailing it into Lowrance? It sure would be great to get my back-up unit working and on the boat.

Any information may be rewarded with friendship and beer...

Thanks,
Ryan
Tailchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Captrandy
Bad Fish Must Die!

Re: Where to get a Lowrance unit fixed?

I've sent mine in for warranty 3 times (3 different units, 1 per) and would be interested to see if any body else can repair these. At 200.00 per trip it is a little costly (I think) to repair a 3 year old item. I'm at 3 years on my LMS37df and the card reader is dead and the gps antennae is crapping out again. Sounds like 300.00 more out of pocket. Good thing is I got an upgraded unit 2 of the 3 times. Bad thing is I can't retrieve and store my waypoints because of the card reader malfunction, and Lowrance will not extract and save them for me!!
I may call Bethel Marine here in EC Florida (Rockledge area) and see what they say.
Captrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
A pointed 1

Ryan
You likely will have to send it to lowrance directly but I don't think it will be worth the investment. Your unit has a 5 inch display I believe. You can get the new HDS-5 series for a reasonable price-the problem is the temptation to go for the larger sexier displays.
I have the Lowrance LCX-18 that came on my boat and it works well-looking to modernize, I found a used HDS-5 with 83/200 khz transducer and the insight map chip locally for $499 and am using it to start building a structure scan system. E-bay has lots of Lowrance units and I have seen many of the older displays go reasonable-also HDS units are there by the ton-just shop wisely.
I did lots of on line research and this link had some of the best pricing I found for non e-bay sites. http://www.marinediscountcenter.com
Good luck!
A pointed 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Tailchasers

I have been thinking the same thing. I've been scanning ebay on and off for a couple of weeks now and the average price for these units is in the $300-$350 range. I figured if I could get someone to fix it locally for around a $100-$150 then I would come out ahead.

If I have to send it in to Lowrance then I'm going to spend $300 no matter what so I might as well get a whole new unit. I'll do a little more digging and see what I can come up with.

Also, if you get that structure scan going let me know how it works. I've seen that offered but I thought you had to have 2 of the HDS units to make it work?
Tailchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
A pointed 1

You only need one display.Structure scan is an add on for any of the HDS displays. It is a "black box" with its own special transducer that will give left + right side scan and a down scan display from directly under you at much higher resolution than traditional sonar. It uses 455kHz and 800kHz kHz to accomplish this.I read somehwere that this is trickle down technology from the military. The black box has 3 outputs that can go to 3 different displays. You can make up an ethernet or Nmea network as needed.
Reviews are mixed but most are favorable-lots of videos on u-tube about it.
I'm hoping it will allow me to locate and identify structure on side scan mode reducing time spent going in circles trying to find a good spot to fish/dive. The software allows you to move the displayed info and move cursor backwards in time and getting an exact gps fix on a good looking spot- many times I have said I wished I had marked a spot and couldn't find it again. I'm curious what a diver will look like on the display.
Maybe by the time I get it installed and learn to use it we will be allowed to keep the fish we find?
If it works as advertised I'll sing it's praises-if not I'll gripe about the waste of time and money!
A pointed 1 is offline   Reply With Quote