Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #31
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!
Re: Almost hit by boat - Catalina

Be careful guys. Carrasco, franchise and Kap lets rib dive before the hurricane hits us. I had 4 guys kack out.

Trying to find some PV lobster spots for the opener.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #32
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Franchise View Post
It got a bit mangled by the prop, but surprisingly it wasn't completely shredded. It should still be fine to use though, so that's good. My thumb is 100% again; it took about 2-3 days so not bad.

I have a flag on the way in the mail =)
I'll stand by my decision to not use a dive flag here- not attached to my floatline near shore.

What happens; small boaters who are zipping around, and jet skiers who use lobster pots to create slalom courses to race around. Your float WILL become a focal point to them, and often they will be attracted tot he float, and will drive right in to investigate the float.
This is especially true when you wind up a bit offshore; the theory seems to be "What's that buoy with a marker doing out there? Never seen one there before- I'll go take a look." And, by the time they realize it's a dive flag, they are within 100ft..... and right on top of you.

Having been hot by boats more than 2 times now..... I can tell you; there IS no foolproof boat avoidance method or tool, other than shore fishing. I have been hit over 300FEET into a deep kelp bed by a jet boat, the prop did not foul in the kelp, and the thing was almost silent in the water. (I think the heavy kelp diffused a lot of sound on the surface also.) I have been hit by a competitor divers' boat. I have almost hit another competitor trying to clear an area with a lot of divers. It's down to the diver and his friends to stay alert, and try to wave off boats as they can. And, it's up to divers to AVOID heavy traffic areas whenever they can. If you move, you are less likely to have 20 close calls. 2 close calls beats 20.

Dive safe kids!!
Old 09-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #33
Kapono

Im down for another RIB dive!
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #34
J_Franchise

Me too Mainphrame. And it's my bday next weekend. Aren't you guaranteed at least 2 WSB on your bday?

Let's go!
J_Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #35
Monger

I have been out almost every weekend. Let me just say there hasn't been a day that some idiot doesn't piss me off. At the launch, the barge, kelp paddy, wide open water, fishing the island. They have no boundaries. The ocean is full of them. You have to maintain a high sense of awareness, especially at the island. Some Skiffs run between the rocks and over the kelp. Also have to keep in mind, the holiday weekends are the weekends the guys that only use their boat 1 time a year, use their boat.
Really glad that you guys didn't have to face a tragedy.
Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #36
J_Franchise

Thx Monger. we are going out next? I'm taking this Friday off... any chance to entice you out?
J_Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #37
newbiee1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainphrame View Post
Damn guys, glad you guys are back home safe. Kap should have blasted the hull, we were just talking about that crap yesterday.
Jeeezzzz and we had a close encounter too on sunday, not that close,but i was able to hear the freaking engine
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote