Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Moonshine

Belize: Traveling with gear, suggestions please.

I’m heading to Belize in May, specifically Ambergris Cay and wanted to get insight into bringing gear into the country. In researching the area (on spearboard) I have read reports on the local conditions and operators. I will have access to a 17-19 foot boat and Captain. I'm more looking to put food on the table than going trophy hunting.

My questions to those that have gone before me:
1. What type of gun is best? Should I take my Omar 90? A pole spear? Both?
2. Would a small Pneumatic gun be worth taking? I can borrow one from a friend.
3. In May, is a wetsuit recommended or can I trunk it?
4. This is the first time I have traveled with spearfishing gear (many times SCUBA), are there concerns going through customs?
5. Any thoughts on preparing my gun(s)/spears for travel? Or recommendations on how to pack gear?

Thank you - Moonshine
Old 03-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Krosys1

Re: Belize: Traveling with gear, suggestions please.

I'm going to do my best in answering your questions. I got back from Ambergis in jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I’m heading to Belize in May, specifically Ambergris Cay and wanted to get insight into bringing gear into the country. In researching the area (on spearboard) I have read reports on the local conditions and operators. I will have access to a 17-19 foot boat and Captain. I'm more looking to put food on the table than going trophy hunting.

My questions to those that have gone before me:
1. What type of gun is best? Should I take my Omar 90? A pole spear? Both?
If your just shooting the reef fish there your 90 is fine, most fish on the inner reef are not that big. make sure not to shoot anything colorful as they are more likely are protected. i'd talk to your captain about what species to go for. they have giant barracuda there that linger around and maybe great to shoot at. I dont know what your preference is as far as reel or float line- so keep that in mind just in case you want to take on a fish that size.
2. Would a small Pneumatic gun be worth taking? I can borrow one from a friend. Dont bother unless you like using it. one gun should fit all your needs unless your really going for bigger fish.
3. In May, is a wetsuit recommended or can I trunk it? i went to 80 feet scuba diving and was just fine with a 3mm. if your not going deeper than that you should be safe with swim trunks, the water should be around 80 degrees
4. This is the first time I have traveled with spearfishing gear (many times SCUBA), are there concerns going through customs?cant help you there- i would imagine getting a sport tube to put everything in and lock it down
5. Any thoughts on preparing my gun(s)/spears for travel? Or recommendations on how to pack gear? i have no suggestion here-i havent done it yet.

Thank you - Moonshine
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Krosys1

Also, if it matters to you, i enjoyed Caye Caulker way better than Ambergis. Beware of street scammers that are advertising time shares. ITS ALL A SCAM HIGH PRESSURE SALE. they are all crap =).

if your looking for a boat to do fishing and snorkeling to relax. look for stephen on caye caulker- he'll hook you up and he's a GREAT cook.

if you have other questions- PM me i'll help you out the best i can.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
Moonshine

Hey Krosys1 - Thanks for the tips. Looks like my 90 with a drag line will be the way to go.
We will be at a private house so I'll be far away from the scam artist thankfully.

Now I just need to figure out how to safely pack my gear. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Timinator

Don't bring extra power bands or your float lines in your carry-on. I've had them confiscated before.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Brandiego
Team Fii

Sport tube works great for that trip. If customs asks what's in it, just tell them fishing gear. A 1.5mm suit is nice to protect you from light brushes with the reef. Do not keep fish on a stringer attached to your body. The nurse sharks have become very accustomed to being fed by divers and are very brazen.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Stonecutter

My family and I are moving to AC in May. For the last 3 weeks, I've been exploring different ways on how to get gear to the island in one piece and I've settled on a sport tube. I do have an awesome pelican rifle case that would have worked well, except the shafts won't fit. Too bad, it's just about bomb proof.

Speak to your airline about what you're bringing. I did, and they were a great help. From what I gathered, as long as your gear is packed up, locked and secure in a case you can check it with no extra fees, even though it exceeds the check bag limit. The agent explained that weight is more important than exact measurements...within reason.

That said, I wouldn't trust a soft case for international travel, just because of all the handling that happens to the bags. If you end up with a tube, pack it tight to assist with protection. Stuff it with clothing or something else to keep everything tight.
Have a safe trip!
Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Krosys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandiego View Post
Sport tube works great for that trip. If customs asks what's in it, just tell them fishing gear. A 1.5mm suit is nice to protect you from light brushes with the reef. Do not keep fish on a stringer attached to your body. The nurse sharks have become very accustomed to being fed by divers and are very brazen.
Great point made here. They will come up to you and they aren't shy. Also, talking to the guys in the dive shops off the beach, bull sharks will make their appearances time to time.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Divefresh
IN YOUR HEAD

I was there not long ago. No issues with guns and airports. Just have your case accessible for them. As far as guns...i would stick with something bow smaller than a 110..and thats even a bit small..fish are scared to death when you get in the water. I stuck with my 130 the whole time. Cuddas will come right to ya with some teasing. Other than that..everything else is on high alert. Try th cuts if you can but it can be dangerous because of currents. Fish are there ..but not tons..i split my trip between diving and tarpon and bone fishing. And for sure dont drag your fish around with you. I had a really shitty 2nd dive and had ine of the biggest nurse sharks i had even seen in my lap with no warning. She bit through a 15lb cuda, my line and nicked my belt in the process. They are pretty intense down there. Shoot your fish and get it to the boat fast.

boonandcrockets@gmail.com

Check my videos out here.....

http://http://vimeo.com/26251075

http://www.youtube.com/user/typical250
Divefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
phonewentwest

Can't speak for many of your questions.

But in regards to travel with equipment...
I went to my local hardware store and bought some PVC pipe, caps and elbow piece, and made my own carrier. It rattled some while inside, so I added a couple of the socks and t-shirts I was traveling with. Rather than using glue to bind it together, I used some small screws (not long enough to cause damage to my gear or clothing on the inside).

Lastly, I never referred to this as my speargun. It was ALWAYS my "fishing gear!"

Check airline policy on traveling with fishing gear. You'll be surprised how many allow it at no charge.

Have a great trip!
phonewentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #11
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Hey Krosys1 - Thanks for the tips. Looks like my 90 with a drag line will be the way to go.
We will be at a private house so I'll be far away from the scam artist thankfully.

Now I just need to figure out how to safely pack my gear. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
You can borrow my sport tube if you want. I have a spare shaft pvc tube too if you want it. If you don't still have my cell number then shoot me a pm if you want to use it

Jeremy
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
coastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divefresh View Post
I was there not long ago. No issues with guns and airports. Just have your case accessible for them. .
Heading to Belize this month. How did the experience flying with spear guns at Customs go? Did they ask at all? How recent did you go? I've read that you cannot bring them in. Planning on putting them in a sportube and saying its fishing gear like mentioned in this thread.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #13
Stonecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Heading to Belize this month. How did the experience flying with spear guns at Customs go? Did they ask at all? How recent did you go? I've read that you cannot bring them in. Planning on putting them in a sportube and saying its fishing gear like mentioned in this thread.
Here we are 5 years later. We lived in AC for almost 2 years, then on Roatan for over 3 (no spear guns there) I flew with 2 guns (had one shipped) from the states, intact packed in a sports tube with other gear. No problem with customs. When we moved off AC to Roatan, I dismantled the guns. I took off the handles, bands…even untied them and pack those in a sport tube as well. Customs, especially in Belize is a real crap shoot. We’ve been through at least 20 times and only got hassled twice…I’m pretty sure they wanted a bribe, which is very common down there (don’t do it).

I’d recommend taking the gun apart, wrap your spears in bubble wrap act friendly and natural when you go through. It’s fishing gear….personal use. Burn that term into your brain and use it. Customs is extremely sensitive to people bringing in ANYTHING to sell off. Personal use.

Have a great time and if you end up in AC, send me a pm and I’ll put you in touch with some good local guides.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
JetBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
Here we are 5 years later. We lived in AC for almost 2 years, then on Roatan for over 3 (no spear guns there) I flew with 2 guns (had one shipped) from the states, intact packed in a sports tube with other gear. No problem with customs. When we moved off AC to Roatan, I dismantled the guns. I took off the handles, bands…even untied them and pack those in a sport tube as well. Customs, especially in Belize is a real crap shoot. We’ve been through at least 20 times and only got hassled twice…I’m pretty sure they wanted a bribe, which is very common down there (don’t do it).

I’d recommend taking the gun apart, wrap your spears in bubble wrap act friendly and natural when you go through. It’s fishing gear….personal use. Burn that term into your brain and use it. Customs is extremely sensitive to people bringing in ANYTHING to sell off. Personal use.

Have a great time and if you end up in AC, send me a pm and I’ll put you in touch with some good local guides.
Happened upon this thread today. We’re going to Belize for a week on June 10, and had considered Routan for retirement. Just curious, which do you like better?
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #15
Stonecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBoy View Post
Happened upon this thread today. We’re going to Belize for a week on June 10, and had considered Routan for retirement. Just curious, which do you like better?
If you’re ok losing spearfishing (lionfish on pole spears is ok) then Roatan beats Ambergris Caye in every other aspect. Send me a pm with specific questions if you want.