Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
SB_Poseidon

2020 pacific coast championships

Saturday October 24th, 2020 San Simeon Campground
Registration Form below or at www.fathomiers.net

This is both a TEAM competition as well as an individual competition. Teams can be formed at the registration by interested divers. Individuals may compete solo, their points will not count toward any team totals if not registered with a team.

The meet hosting site will be the San Simeon state campground. You are responsible for your campsite or lodging. There is a MANDATORY competitors’ meeting Friday evening in the campground. Divers must register and check-in Friday evening. The meeting will be at 6:30-8 pm. ALL teams MUST have at least 1 representative at the Competitors’ meeting, ALL entries must be handled by Friday evening. The only reason for a diver missing the meeting would be traffic-related. Please be there to go over F&G rules, questions about the meet, CHOOSING a dive site, and for the formation of teams if single divers choose to form a team.
There are trophies for 1-5 individual and 1st place teams. There is a trophy for the biggest fish as well. The winning diver gets their name on the Al Schnepperschoff perpetual trophy.
Registration and Entry Fees:
The meet is $20 to participate per diver and the liability waiver must be submitted prior to participating. Please submit the registration fee (PayPal) and waiver to brandhor@usc.edu. The last chance to submit both will be at the competitors meeting 6:30 pm, Friday 23rd, 2020. A limited number of event T-shirts may be preordered for $20 together with the registration.
When paying your registration fee, please include “PCC, Your Name”.

PayPal instructions: ***Be sure to select Friends & Family to avoid unnecessary fees***. Pay $20 (registration only) OR $40 (registration and T-shirt) to brandhor@usc.edu. No refunds.

Meet rules:
The meet will be held on Saturday, Oct. 24th. The start time will be 8:30 am, there will BE NO TRAVEL TIME. Meet duration is 6 hours, must be in the staging area directly in front of the exit zone at 2:30 pm. Enter the water at the staging area prior to the start between 8:00 - 8:30 am. The weigh-in will be held at the beach as quickly as possible once the diving is concluded.
This is a NO SCOUTING MEET. The SCOUTING boundaries are as follows, from South to North: There is to be no diving between the area known as ‘Windmills’, or Cayucos Point. This is about 1 mile north on Hwy 1 from Cayucos State Beach. This is the southern scouting boundary. The Northern scouting boundary is the Piedras Blancas SMR. There is to be no entering these waters by competitors for a period of ONE MONTH prior to the meet (starting midnight September 24th, 2020). Any competitors who are protested PRIOR to the meet for scouting will not be allowed to participate. Please follow these simple rules.

The boundaries: We will be omitting the prior years’ location (Abalone Farm) and the related area from this years’ meet. The starting location will be randomly chosen at the Competitor’s meeting.
There are NO electronic devices allowed. No fish-finders or depth sounders allowed. NO GPS of any kind allowed. NO Cellphones of any kind allowed. The ONLY electronics allowed will be a basic VHF radio for safety, (With NO capability for GPS) and dive lights. Dive slates are NOT ALLOWED. No note cards, no documented landmarks allowed.
The vessels allowed are human powered only; no motorized vessels, no wind powered vessels. Kayak, boogie boards, SUP boards, canoes are all acceptable.
This is a 20 fish meet. F&G rules will be met, or exceeded. Any fish that is a violation of STATE rules will be a disqualification. Any LEGAL fish which is short of tournament sizes will not apply toward a diver’s catch, but IS NOT A DISQUALIFYING OFFENSE. The fish, however, WILL count toward your state total of 20 fish, it WILL count toward your 10 fish RCG, or your lingcod limit, etc.
4 fish per species, with the exceptions: Lingcod 2 fish, 24” minimum length. Sheephead, 2 fish, 18” minimum length. Black rockfish, 3 fish. Cabezon 2 fish, 15” minimum length. WSB 3 fish, 28” minimum length.
All other fish are 4 per species, including assorted perch, rockfish, sculpin, topsmelt, etc. with a minimum length of 14”. The RCG (Rockfish, Cabezon, and Greenling) is 10 fish total. You must NOT possess more than 10 total combined of these species, Cabezon are a maximum of 2, and they do count toward your 10 rockfish limit. Going over the 10 RCG is a disqualification.
Human-powered spears only. Polespears, spearguns, roller guns, are allowed. No pneumatics, no powerheads.
Divers must shoot their own fish. There is no team loading of catch allowed. Divers are not to discard fish. No trading up.

PROTESTS:
Any protests regarding divers or teams during the meet MUST be presented immediately before the weigh-in. IF POSSIBLE, the protest will be dealt with immediately at this time before the catch is weighed in. If not practical, it will go to a committee made of the organizers, and the fish will be weighed and counted. The announcement of the winner would have to be postponed. PLEASE; don’t do anything against the rules or the spirit of the meet. We do not enjoy this part. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020 PCCs Registration.pdf (205.8 KB, 435 views)
Old 08-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Re: 2020 pacific coast championships

Hmmmm!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:30 AM   #3
Toby Cinque
Toby Cinque

Hearst San Simeon State Park
UPDATE (July 10, 2020) - California State Parks continues to work with locals on a phased and regionally-driven approach to increase access to state park units where compliance with state and local public health ordinances can be achieved. Even though the department has increased access across the State Park System, the need for Californians to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the outdoors remains critical.

As such, State Parks continues to ask visitors to plan ahead, avoid road trips and stay close to home, maintain physical distancing, wear a face covering when a physical distance of six feet from others who are not from the immediate household members cannot be maintained, and avoid congregating. This means no gatherings, picnics or parties. Visitors are being asked to leave if there are too many people to allow for the required physical distance. Full details on the guidelines are available at parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.

Below you will find specific information for Hearst San Simeon State Park:

What is open now?
The following is open at this park:
All day-use parking lots

What is currently closed at this park and throughout the State Park System?
At this park:
Hearst San Simeon campground
Washburn campground

Statewide:
Some campgrounds across the state remain closed until further notice. Some campgrounds have started to reopen with modifications. For more information, please visit www.parks.ca.gov/COVID19Camping.
Some high public-use indoor facilities, including museums and visitor centers.
Special events and tours continue to be canceled until further notice.

Are there any new visitor guidelines?
Yes, please see below:

Stay Local: Although businesses around the state are opening up, Californians should not travel significant distances for pleasure or recreation and should stay close to home. Parking is very limited or closed at park units across the state. Walk or bike to parks in your local neighborhood. Do not travel if you are sick or if someone in your household has had coronavirus in the last two weeks.
Stay Safer at 6 Feet: Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more. Gatherings, picnics and parties are not allowed. Visitors will be asked to leave if there are too many people at the park, beach or on trails to allow for the required physical distance.
Stay Clean: Be prepared. Bring soap/sanitizer and pack out all trash.
Stay Covered: The state now requires you to wear a face covering in the outdoors when you cannot stay at least 6 feet away from others who are not your immediate household members. For details, please read California Department of Public Health’s guidance for the use of face coverings here. Visitors should also abide by their local county health orders.

Thank you for your patience and continued support of California State Parks as we work to limit your risk for exposure to COVID-19 in the outdoors. For more information, please visit parks.ca.gov/FlattenTheCurve.
Toby Cinque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Sanny

Could you please change your "20 fish meet" to a "three biggest fish of the team meet"? The idea of having a contest where everyone ends up shooting 20 fish each just to get "a point" is bad management. It's irresponsible for us as spearos and it's very poor press. It's a pretty safe bet that rules like this contribute to the expansions of MPAs. Having these large contests with this mentality has had a negative impact on these locations- of course most of the people in the contest probably don't care because they don't live here and dive the Central coast regularly. I"m not some troll- I have done the Pacific Coast Championship myself. I've seen the coolers full of fish sitting around for the weigh in that, most of which, nobody has any intention of eating. Again, I know that there are going to be a bunch of indignant spearos "following DFG laws" in favor of a contest like this and angry at me, but to have 20+ people all taking their 20 fish out of a concentrated area (400+ fish IN ONE DAY) is outdated, wasteful, and a huge blow to that ecosystem. A contest that weighs the three biggest fish of a team probably reflects a higher level of skill than the "hook and line party boat mentality" of a 20 fish contest anyways. Heck, I'm pretty sure that if each guy wasn't so focused on shooting 20 fish for contest points, they would be more likely to take a respectable fish that they could be proud of. Again, this whole thing isn't about spearfishing or not, or contests or no contests- its about ORGANIZING a large EVENT with RULES like these. Have the contest! Just do it sustainably.
Aaron
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanny View Post
I've seen the coolers full of fish sitting around for the weigh in that, most of which, nobody has any intention of eating.
Aaron
You have proof of that? Otherwise there could be some serious legal consequences...
Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #6
nikko
Nick

Quote:
Could you please change your "20 fish meet" to a "three biggest fish of the team meet"? The idea of having a contest where everyone ends up shooting 20 fish each just to get "a point" is bad management. It's irresponsible for us as spearos and it's very poor press. It's a pretty safe bet that rules like this contribute to the expansions of MPAs. Having these large contests with this mentality has had a negative impact on these locations- of course most of the people in the contest probably don't care because they don't live here and dive the Central coast regularly. I"m not some troll- I have done the Pacific Coast Championship myself. I've seen the coolers full of fish sitting around for the weigh in that, most of which, nobody has any intention of eating. Again, I know that there are going to be a bunch of indignant spearos "following DFG laws" in favor of a contest like this and angry at me, but to have 20+ people all taking their 20 fish out of a concentrated area (400+ fish IN ONE DAY) is outdated, wasteful, and a huge blow to that ecosystem. A contest that weighs the three biggest fish of a team probably reflects a higher level of skill than the "hook and line party boat mentality" of a 20 fish contest anyways. Heck, I'm pretty sure that if each guy wasn't so focused on shooting 20 fish for contest points, they would be more likely to take a respectable fish that they could be proud of. Again, this whole thing isn't about spearfishing or not, or contests or no contests- its about ORGANIZING a large EVENT with RULES like these. Have the contest! Just do it sustainably.
Aaron
agreed!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:14 AM   #7
davidiskol

Agree with Aaron
davidiskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Agreed, what’s the point of all the extra death? Should be all about the best fish, not most.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
Bugstud

Agreed, it should be reformatted for something more sustainable. I understand there is history and tradition but times have changed.
Bugstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
PigStikr
The Stalker

The sealions in that locale probably get 10X that each day, and they'll probably take some of yours right off the spear. Just wear some pink fins and make it a photo shoot, you can do it in an MPA that way too.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:09 AM   #11
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Thanks for the laugh guys, that was cute.
As I can recall, there have only been about twenty different divers in the last decade to weigh in 20 fish.
We had 68 signed up, and the top fish count was 16. I had 15. ALL the fish were eaten.
The average catch was around 4 fish per diver, and 35 out of 68 (59 hit the water) weighed in fish. As usual, a lot of divers did not find ideal fish piles or good conditions.

But it was a fun read; I do miss it- its been a few years.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin

All fish were eaten. I'm sure you are totally knowledgeable of what all 68 contestants did with their fish. You gotta be joking bro. That's what you always say after these Perch for Points contests!

I have heard from MANY past participants who have noted how many fish from this contest end up in the dumpster and have literally stopped participating because they morally disagree with this format.

You claiming that Balta eats all the trash fish he shoots in these contests?

Remember when Fernando claimed the OC Spearos donated all the trash they shot to a homeless food bank?

LOL

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
All fish were eaten. I'm sure you are totally knowledgeable of what all 68 contestants did with their fish. You gotta be joking bro. That's what you always say after these Perch for Points contests!

I have heard from MANY past participants who have noted how many fish from this contest end up in the dumpster and have literally stopped participating because they morally disagree with this format.

You claiming that Balta eats all the trash fish he shoots in these contests?

Remember when Fernando claimed the OC Spearos donated all the trash they shot to a homeless food bank?

LOL
Had you BEEN THERE- you'd have seen the seventy-zillion different ways we were preparing the perch themselves. While we haven't done a donation drive with our fish in quite a few years, we discussed bringing it back for 2021. We have done it, by the clubs' directors, by different meet directors. It depends on the year, and who is setting the program. We had a whole bunch of divers doing up the perch, just to prove out who did it better...... we have a lot of new divers, and plenty of influx of several different ethnic cultures at the moment, and I was not disappointed.
Perch sashimi; skin on, and off. Perch ceviche. Perch mojarra. Filleted and seared. Perch in a fish soup. a whole bunch of very surprised and impressed divers on how well the perch was served up. Not one of the recipes was even half lousy; they were all very well done.
Cute; see you next year, come try it out???
Old 12-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #14
Sanny

The recipe ideas sound great, but the contest needs better rules. If most of the divers usually catch around four fish (as rojodiablo wrote), then a "three-best-fish" rule reflects the average that most contestants bring in during the contests anyway - why the need for rules that encourage a 20 fish limit?. Those rules don't even make sense to me. For example, 10 one-pound reef fish would get 20 points, whereas two eight-pound lingcods would get someone else 18 points. Do those rules support the way you think a contest should be won?
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
LookPointShoot

Quote:
The recipe ideas sound great, but the contest needs better rules. If most of the divers usually catch around four fish (as rojodiablo wrote), then a "three-best-fish" rule reflects the average that most contestants bring in during the contests anyway - why the need for rules that encourage a 20 fish limit?. Those rules don't even make sense to me. For example, 10 one-pound reef fish would get 20 points, whereas two eight-pound lingcods would get someone else 18 points. Do those rules support the way you think a contest should be won?
It's once a year and they mix the spots around. As the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea. Consider that the regs for this tourney are still stricter than ordinary everyday limits established by the DFG. Anybody could go out and shoot as many fish on any given day as these guys allow for the tourney.

It's funny to me how commercial fishing quotas are always in the THOUSANDS of TONS, we have so much smaller of an impact on any fishery as a whole as they do, but one tourney that tests divers to catch in a semi-commercial way is so frowned upon when there are bottom trawlers eating up 10x this amount any given day.

This day and age, we gotta have each other's backs. You don't like how a tourney is run or what others shoot, my line of thinking is feel free to your opinion but if anyone asks, have your fellow divers' backs. We need to be in this thing together.

And any dipshit can shoot three fish. Getting to 20 fish with the extra size limits in this format is a ridiculous challenge, and I think once a year at a new spot every year this format is sustainable and a worthy challenge. There's a million biggest fish or biggest 3 fish tourneys every year. There's only one like this that I know of, and its a much different skillset. This tourney really separates the wheat from the chaff; it's pretty amazing what these guys can do.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote