Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
Vyadha

Almost over

Got out today for a few hours at a popular spot in hopes of nabbing a few more bugs. Last time we were here there were quite a few 3-4 pounders still around.
Today though had a bit more swell and the shallows were difficult to work.

Found a few berried females and let them go. Put one legal in the bag and was feeling pretty discouraged. Oh well.

Kicking back my buddy tells me he found a hole with an 8 pounder in about 3 feet of water. I follow him into the kelp and call the groms over. Im so beat and deflated at this point, frustration and apathy are sinking in.

The groms are near and I shout to buddy who is up ahead if hes found the hole again.

Its right here he replies.

I think hes ****ing with me. Of course hes ****ing with me. How could I have asked him that specific question right as he surfaced from the sought after hole?

He marked the hole and dove down to see. Nice sized solitary ledge. Ok. I peek in and count a few 3-4 pounders. Ok. And there in the back is what looks to me like an 8 pound lobster.

I ask the groms if they want to check it out but neither of them are comfortable diving beyond 15 feet and they kick back to the shallows.

My buddy and I work the big guy for 30 min. In the process I grab a 2 pound one and bag it.

After some more work we get the bug to move and we dig out some rocks at the back. Ive got longer arms so my partner tells me I can probably reach him.

I take off my nht bag and go for it.

He was right, I grab a horn and shake him but he wont budge. Then he moves back to the first spot.

I have no intention of giving up but the groms gotta get home soon and sometimes I get bug fever so bad my buddy has to talk me back to shore.

As this is happening the 2# bug has crawled out of my nht that was sitting on the bottom. Note- Removing nht bags severely limits their efficacy.

My buddy looks right and just says, "We're gonna get this guy"

He drops down and goes to town on the bug but doesnt get a good grip. This goes on for maybe 10 more dives and we realize the bug must have wedged himself into a spot that he cant free himself from.

We continue one up, one down for another set of drops.

As I watch my buddy surface Im hoping so bad he has the bug. Im just plain exhausted now. Hes empty handed but the first thing out of his mouth is, "Go get get him."

The I couldnt get my hand around the bugs tail but now that he was so close I was able to grab a horn again and pull him out with my left hand.

My buddy brought over a bag amidst the whoops and hollers and we just shoved my bag (which had the 2# one back in it. I grabbed him again on one of the drops) in his bag and we swam in.

He came in at a hair over 7 pounds.

One more day.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
donny
<"))))><

Re: Almost over

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnxdragon View Post
pray tell, where exactly is this "popular" spot you speak of? Coordinates? description? Share so that we all may partake in God's generosity.
he took a picture of it for you...

great bug for that spot.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
riff
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnxdragon View Post
pray tell, where exactly is this "popular" spot you speak of? Coordinates? description? Share so that we all may partake in God's generosity.
He has the map of it on his chest
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Albert033

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
He has the map of it on his chest
Albert033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
impaleher

Well thanks for posting this to the masses. Most people who dive there aren't looking for bugs but I'm pretty sure they will be from now on.
impaleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
MonkeyChunks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaleher View Post
Well thanks for posting this to the masses. Most people who dive there aren't looking for bugs but I'm pretty sure they will be from now on.
Dude relax, Lobsters are all over the place. His pic wasnt that special. Trust me people arent running down there to dive it tonight before the season closes just cause he got a nice one. Too much drama over spots. Season is over, so time to start crying about fish spots i guess.
MonkeyChunks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Karma Trees

Nice write up man!
Pretty epic bug CONGRATS
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Vyadha

I got pretty excited and posted a pic that perhaps I shouldn't have. That said, If you know that spot by the pic you already know bugs are there.

The lat long coordinates are on my chest as was pointed out. So let's meet up Oct. 3.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
impaleher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChunks1 View Post
Dude relax, Lobsters are all over the place. His pic wasnt that special. Trust me people arent running down there to dive it tonight before the season closes just cause he got a nice one. Too much drama over spots. Season is over, so time to start crying about fish spots i guess.
Wrong. Soley because of this post me and a couple buddies are heading over there after work. I already knew there were lobsters there but I usually go there in search of other more desirable game as most others who hit that spot. But a report of larger than average bugs at a spot has me interested.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
MonkeyChunks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaleher View Post
Wrong. Soley because of this post me and a couple buddies are heading over there after work. I already knew there were lobsters there but I usually go there in search of other more desirable game as most others who hit that spot. But a report of larger than average bugs at a spot has me interested.
Hey, Hey... Theres gold in fort knox. Alot of it.
You know the coordinates so i guess youll be there tomorrow right.

Have fun and good luck. Just couse one guy bags a nice one doesnt mean everyone posesses the skills it takes to catch one.
I sure a hell dont. And ill be there on Oct 3rd.

ITS A FREE FOR ALL, LOBSTER ORGY. COME GET SOME....
MonkeyChunks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
impaleher

Quote:

Have fun and good luck. Just couse one guy bags a nice one doesnt mean everyone posesses the skills it takes to catch one.

My usual spot is all tapped out. I actually haven't hit this spot all season so I'm pretty excited to check it out. Heard the swell n' surge has picked up a bit over the past few days though so I'll probably get my ass handed to me.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #12
impaleher

Quote:

By the way. Your analogy makes no sense. Comparing apples to oranges my friend.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
Cameronv
Ando26

Quote:

Couldn't agree more with you monkey, but relax and ignore impaleher. Probably a troll or some spearboard dick trying to prove a point acting like a noob taking spots.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
Vyadha

I just got out from that spot. Pulled a few 4 pounders, got buzzed by the DFW chopper. Viz deteriorated quick and the surge was rough.

I didn't realize your gratitude was genuine, Imp. You're welcome and good luck. A 5-6 pounder got away from me so keep your eyes peeled.

Larger than an average bugs are all over the place. They don't fall for average tactics though.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
impaleher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyadha View Post
I just got out from that spot. Pulled a few 4 pounders, got buzzed by the DFW chopper. Viz deteriorated quick and the surge was rough.

I didn't realize your gratitude was genuine, Imp. You're welcome and good luck. A 5-6 pounder got away from me so keep your eyes peeled.

Larger than an average bugs are all over the place. They don't fall for average tactics though.
Surgy as hell but I managed an end of the season limit. Mostly smaller ones with a couple 3-4lbers mixed in. Thanks!