Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #61
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
With 8mm shaft ... for sure a carbon fiber pipe is very useful in absorbing the extra weight of the shaft. The Cuttlefish shape adds more lift as there is more air space. There are quite a few Cuttlefish tubes made of CF out there and if you follow ermessub instagram page you will see quite a few guns setup with that. If using the Pathos CF pipe and muzzle ... there are some lead coins in the muzzle of the Pathos guns which can be removed and will make an 8mm shaft possible and still keep the gun from being a sinker.
thanks Majd!
am just a fussy old bastard lusting after prefab carbon, but who's isn't willing to relinquish that zero-weight-on-the-wrist float that i'm accustomed to with my wood guns

Last edited by kavachi; 05-08-2022 at 03:02 PM.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #62
popgun pete

Cetma Composites offer an interesting barrel shape on their gun.
They also have the double roller trigger. https://freediving.cetmacomposites.i...l-version.html
https://freediving.cetmacomposites.i...allestito.html
Discussed here some time back http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=199227
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cetma Composites Canova Speargun.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	248070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cetma Composites DR trigger.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	248071  

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-08-2022 at 06:32 PM. Reason: more info
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:43 PM   #63
popgun pete

Cuttlebone shaped barrels on euroguns were usually fitted to plastic handle guns that had mechanism levers swinging inside, but not much other metal, so while the rear handle is heavy, it is not that heavy. An example would be the Seatec spearguns with their elliptical barrels. When you have plastic monobloc handles with a metal walled mechanism cassette and thicker levers inside the weight is going to go up because there is a lot more metal than before in the rear handle. This would indicate that any swelling in the barrel tube should be moved further back rather than it being at the mid-point of the barrel tube. At its extreme you could see that in the C4 “Mr. Dark” which has now disappeared from their product list which had a gun-body like a long necked mandolin.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:11 AM   #64
spearq8

A very cheap and very functional option would be just to add a flotation sleeve on a pipe. This sleeve could have hooks and connections to reel or other roller systems. Would also allow for heavier shafts and still keep guns nice and weightless. Pathos has one for their guns ... but really it is only an after thought and not really well designed. I remember also discussing that with Dano from Mako spearguns and just looking at the Mako website I see they have them here

https://makospearguns.com/barrel-float/

That is a very good low cost and very functional option ... but of course a custom cuttleshaped CF one piece tube looks much nicer ... but at a much higher price.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #65
jfjf

Yeah i have been using a few guns with the MAKO barrel float and it works very well. It is very beneficial for the roller muzzle which adds unavoidable mass to the gun. With a barrel float's added buoyance (and mass) the roller gun the gun is without recoil.

MAKO may also be releasing another "very interesting" product, as well sometime this summer.

Last edited by jfjf; 05-09-2022 at 08:23 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:55 PM   #66
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

any feedback on actually shooting fish with this Ermes handle? anyone plugged one into carbon pipe with a 7.5mm shaft, twin small ID bands?
Old 06-23-2022, 09:11 AM   #67
svivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
any feedback on actually shooting fish with this Ermes handle? anyone plugged one into carbon pipe with a 7.5mm shaft, twin small ID bands?
Unfortunately not yet. Put one on a 100cm roller and the other on a 120cm double band, both carbon barrels. Haven't had time to go anywhere. Pool testing so far I like them a lot, best handle and trigger I have used so far.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #68
dewasw
1st breathe-up May 1937

That's good info to hear. I want to buy the handle in White, but no one in the USA has one and Mario's website in Italy says the White handle is out-of-stock.
dewasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #69
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
Unfortunately not yet. Put one on a 100cm roller and the other on a 120cm double band, both carbon barrels. Haven't had time to go anywhere. Pool testing so far I like them a lot, best handle and trigger I have used so far.
stoked to hear its shooting nice! using the Ermes muzzle too on the bandgun? looks super well thought out
Old 06-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #70
svivian

Quote:
stoked to hear its shooting nice! using the Ermes muzzle too on the bandgun? looks super well thought out
No I am using a Meandros X4 but may switch to something else. I have the meandros muzzle on the 90cm in my profile pic.

I bought the fish clicker attachment as well, i have never used one but we shall see.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #71
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
No I am using a Meandros X4 but may switch to something else. I have the meandros muzzle on the 90cm in my profile pic.
Damn, that Meandros muzzle's a beast! the lengths we go to to get a nice band lay eh.

I bought the fish clicker attachment as well, i have never used one but we shall see.
ah, the slippery slope of Euro speargun attachments
Old 06-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #72
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Hey Majd! this Ermes handle's got your DNA all over it! any feedback on how it shoots? pool or in the wild? or the muzzle?
Old 06-29-2022, 03:17 AM   #73
spearq8

Quote:
Hey Majd! this Ermes handle's got your DNA all over it! any feedback on how it shoots? pool or in the wild? or the muzzle?
Well the plan was to make it possible for anyone to make a cheap, yet highly effective and accurate speargun with very little effort. Originally I wanted to use the Pathos D1 handle and put a custom built DR trigger on it. This was done, but the quality control on both the handles and the DR triggers was terrible. Very few triggers would work properly as the assembly of the triggers was way below par. Of course all the triggers could be fixed, but you needed to know what you were doing. Also there was quite a bit of things to do to the handle as well to get things to work properly.

I did have a very elaborate video prepared for the D1 modification, but I decided not to post it as I was very unhappy with the sloppy assembly of the D1 triggers. So finally we decided best was to just build the handle and the trigger together from scratch. Why bother with all the hassle of going through what could be a difficult modification for many.

The new Avatar handle uses a custom full DR trigger with a 6mm roller (same as full DR trigger). The assembly has been revamped and is made much easier with the latest design using box lock spacers and metal injection molding. The handle is designed to push recoil into the palm of the hand so that there is no lift or left shift ... so shaft goes out stable with very high velocity ... without needing much band load. Of course the by product is that you also get extremely good accuracy.

Here in this video you can see a test on an 80cm gun that has more power at 5 meters than a default Riffe 120x. Shots are at 4 meters and at 5 meters ... which is max line allowable with 2 wraps. Of course I don't recommend anyone shoot an 80cm at 5 meters, but this is just to give an indication of performance. This was the base setup that the Avatar handle and trigger were based on and you should expect to have very similar results. I did do setups at 120cm and 130cm with similar results but need to find the videos.

I am pretty sure very few handles and triggers went through the same testing phase and I expect this to be a good reason why the Avatar handle and trigger should perform better than anything out there.

Here is the video I did about 2 years back with the D1 modification. I made it unlisted as I really cannot recommend the D1 trigger with assembly problems it had. Many could easily fix those problems, but they would need to know what they are doing. I will see if I can find time to do a full test with the new Avatar handle and trigger and the new muzzle + tube.

https://youtu.be/waHOKH6dHMg

Last edited by spearq8; 06-30-2022 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #74
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
......I will see if I can find time to do a full test with the new Avatar handle and trigger and the new muzzle + tube.
http://youtu.be/waHOKH6dHMg
Hi Majd, thanks for the reply! and thanks for posting that Pathos test.

Realise these videos take a lot of time, not just in the pool but also editing and upload, but yes - would be great to see Ermes handle & muzzle on carbon pipe on your test setup!

Twin small ID bands pushing 7.5mm shaft with minimal overhang is of key interest to me - I find 8mm shaft to be both too heavy in the muzzle on a pipe, as well as too much recoil [on pipe] for all-day shooting even with properly shaped recoil handle.
Look forward to it

Last edited by kavachi; 07-03-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:28 AM   #75
spearq8

Quote:
Hi Majd, thanks for the reply! and thanks for posting that Pathos test.

Realise these videos take a lot of time, not just in the pool but also editing and upload, but yes - would be great to see Ermes handle & muzzle on carbon pipe on your test setup!

Twin small ID bands pushing 7.5mm shaft with minimal overhang is of key interest to me - I find 8mm shaft to be both too heavy in the muzzle on a pipe, as well as too much recoil [on pipe] for all-day shooting even with properly shaped recoil handle.
Look forward to it
Yes ... actually in testing the 7.5mm shafts at say 150cm to 160cm with say 130cm band stretch and just 2 x 14.5mm bands ... had incredible performance and much better than 8mm shaft. If I remember correctly it was possible to pass the Tuna test even at 7m !!! Also had extremely good accuracy and very flat shaft flight to 7m. You can get very good performance with 8mm shaft as well, but as you mentioned on a pipe gun it can get tip heavy due to additional weight of shaft. Still a very usable option as well, especially if fish allow you to close the distance a little more.