Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-28-2022, 02:50 PM   #16
musubi

Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
It arrived about an hour ago. I weighed it and the scale reading was 0.355 kg. Another scale read 0.360 kg. Chinese scales, a dangling hook and a platform type. When the sun comes out I will take some photos. It is a bit more petite than I thought it would be, but has a long boss for the tubular barrel. Note there is no biasing spring on the line release lever, so if it does not fall back just push it back with your finger with the gun butt down on an angle.
Thanks for posting pictures of your handle!
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:26 PM   #17
Behslayer

Received a few of these today. Very nice piece of Engineering. Thing Grips my hand like a Claw. Like I must have the same exact sized hands as Mario because this thing fits me like a glove. Like Pete said, she is a petite girl, like a size 0. I'm used to more robust things, but there's no question that this is a Fine piece of equipment.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:30 AM   #18
popgun pete

Everything has been made more compact to minimize the space needed in a plastic pistol grip handle and keep the weight down as can be seen from the slimmer line release lever and new trigger finger hook. The side profile has been reduced as you can now clearly see the nose roller with the mechanism latched when looking down from on top of the handle, so I guess the top of the trigger piece has been shaved down. It is that reduced vertical depth that makes the handle look slim from side on. The pivoting levers whose width is dictated by the nose roller being strong enough at its axle supports to take the load through the mechanism to the locking cup/cut-out on the trigger now have relatively small clearances to the housing sidewalls which means the levers have to pivot parallel to the walls. Something that was somewhat lacking on my first example of the Double Roller trigger mechanism, but now everything has been squared up.

Tube based euroguns are usually tail heavy floaters after the shot due to the trigger mechanism mounted in a non-buoyant rear handle, so some thought needs to be given to the barrel to be used in terms of how you want the gun to float. Also how the band draw will access the rear anchor on the handle, although we know any reel can be fitted to the trigger finger guard frame that sits directly behind that hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar trigger lock-out RR.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	248017  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-29-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added a photo
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #19
AEgir

If only they made a lefty version...
Old 04-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #20
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
I think that black thumb rest comes off and a lefty version of the rest screws on the other side, although it will need a hole in the soft handle to access the hole for the attaching screw.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #21
Behslayer

Maybe someone knows.

This Handle Has some small ridges on the Male insert portion. I'm thinking these are sacrificial stabilizers for 26.5mm barrels as this fits 26-26.5mm barrels? Does it make sense that these get peeled/scraped off when inserting into a 26mm barrel? Here you can see where those little ridges are curling over from being forced into a 26mm barrel. But it's not easy going.. Should I remove those with a razor blade?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220429_105232.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	248018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_105318.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	248019   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_105324 (1).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	248020  
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:26 PM   #22
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Maybe someone knows.

This Handle Has some small ridges on the Male insert portion. I'm thinking these are sacrificial stabilizers for 26.5mm barrels as this fits 26-26.5mm barrels? Does it make sense that these get peeled/scraped off when inserting into a 26mm barrel? Here you can see where those little ridges are curling over from being forced into a 26mm barrel. But it's not easy going.. Should I remove those with a razor blade?
Yes, those ridges are meant to be sheared off by jamming a barrel on, provided that it is an alloy one! You used to see similar ridges on alloy gun handle bosses, although they were much thinner, to give a tight fit of the barrel tube. You could just gradually scrape them down with a spoke shaver or something like a potato peeler, but easy does it as you don't want to take too much off. You could check progress with callipers measuring on diameters of opposing sets. The width of the removed material stripe on the top of each ridge can act as a guide to how much you take off, you need to not exceed it.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-29-2022 at 09:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2022, 01:39 AM   #23
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Maybe someone knows.

Those ridges were added as without them you only have the O rings to support movement if you are off the ID by about .5mm. You can just sand them off if they become a problem but I would do it very slowly and methodically to make sure I have a good fit. Remember that when you load the gun, any gap between the barrel and the handle will tend to bend as the O ring rubber gives way. Reducing bending improves accuracy dramatically.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:09 AM   #24
spearq8

This project was to make it easy for people to quickly and relatively cheaply have a gun that can shoot straight with a lot of power right out of the box. About 4 years ago I did a modification on a Pathos handle where I shaped the handle and added a DR trigger to it ... and the results were incredibly impressive. You can see that test here

https://youtu.be/K-sN4pQkWSU

Unfortunately for many people without DIY tools this was not an easy project. This handle is perfectl for those people ... you have a perectly shaped handle with a full DR trigger ... and with just a screwdriver you can quickly make yourself a very powerful and accurate speargun without having to tinker with anything. The trigger and handle is very elevated so recoil goes into the palm rather than thumb ... and the thumb rest forces your hand to be rotated in the correct position to get the recoil into palm rather than thumb. This is what allows you to really add power to a gun and have minimal felt recoil ... also allows you to use minimal band power to maximum effect as the shaft goes out super stable and doesn't lose velocity quickly. I really think that even today, very few people realize how much power and accuracy they can get out of a super light pipe gun.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:14 AM   #25
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
Handle is universal, you can just unscrew the thumb rest and move in the other side. Also the trigger Line Release can be either right or left. At least with the beta version that was one of the features designed in. A lot of compromises were made to make this a universal handle rather than Left or Right ... small ... medium and large handles. There was an idea of using screw in parts to fit all handle sizes but maybe that still has not been implemented or not thought worth the effort.

Last edited by spearq8; 04-30-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:07 AM   #26
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Handle is universal, you can just unscrew the thumb rest and move in the other side. Also the trigger Line Release can be either right or left. At least with the beta version that was one of the features designed in. A lot of compromises were made to make this a universal handle rather than Left or Right ... small ... medium and large handles. There was an idea of using screw in parts to fit all handle sizes but maybe that still has not been implemented or not thought worth the effort.
You will need a different thumb rest as that one doesn't reverse, it is for that side only. No doubt it will be just its mirror for the other side.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:20 AM   #27
spearq8

Ah ok ... maybe that is in the next version. For sure the line release on the trigger can be switched either way. I do know that Left and Right and also different sizes for hands was being worked on. Basically just unscrew and remove some parts. I'll check and see if these are in the works.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:57 AM   #28
popgun pete

Although it is nice to have adjustability in a handle moulding I wonder if that separate block in the handle for changing the position of the camera mount base from side to side was such a good idea. This element is a sliding rectangular plastic block locked in place by a grub screw on top, but it effectively creates a window in the frame. A speargun under band load is trying to twist the rear grip up with the forces being applied through the spear shaft to the trigger mechanism. That coupled with another hole through the frame below and just forwards of the rectangular window slims down the cross-section opposing this cantilevering action the alignment of which I have marked out in yellow. Thinking of the long term rather than anything going amiss immediately. The MVD handle is of similar proportions, but it does not have those holes. What do you think? Especially if the gun is loaded up with the high band loads that the trigger mechanism can endure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ermes Sub Avatar cantilever.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	248026  
Old 04-30-2022, 10:03 PM   #29
popgun pete

Here is a photo comparing the Ermes-Sub with a Huntmaster (made by MVD who either rebrand or make a slight variation on their euroguns for others). They are of similar sizes, although the Ermes-Sub is slightly larger and is of much better quality, however the entire Huntmaster only cost 200 bucks. Not my gun as I bought it for my niece, which is why it is pink.

Note the area behind where the tube barrels fit on the handles which has to resist the guns twisting vertically under load. These designs both have trigger finger guards that brace the structure to enable a slim frame around the shallow reverse trigger mechanisms, but forwards of there the gun needs sufficient cross-section to bridge the distance to the barrel tubing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	handle comparison avatar huntmaster R.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	248027  
Old 05-01-2022, 01:23 AM   #30
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Here is a photo comparing the Ermes-Sub with a Huntmaster (made by MVD who either rebrand or make a slight variation on their euroguns for others). They are of similar sizes, although the Ermes-Sub is slightly larger and is of much better quality, however the entire Huntmaster only cost 200 bucks. Not my gun as I bought it for my niece, which is why it is pink.

Note the area behind where the tube barrels fit on the handles which has to resist the guns twisting vertically under load. These designs both have trigger finger guards that brace the structure to enable a slim frame around the shallow reverse trigger mechanisms, but forwards of there the gun needs sufficient cross-section to bridge the distance to the barrel tubing.

Hmmm ... actually the Huntmaster name seems very familiar and remember seeing and working on a project for a trigger for them. I think they are based in Australia and if I remember correctly Mario made a custom trigger for them and is very similar to the trigger for his new handle. The roller sear was a little smaller at around 9mm rather than 10mm. I do remember that they had very big problems with their triggers ... which is no surprise as it is a reverse friction trigger. Never really followed up with them but I am quite sure they had switched to DR triggers on their handles at some point and am not sure if that collaboration is still there.

As for the Ermessub handle and Left handers, I was told that it is either right handed or Universal handed by simply removing the thumb rest. So for left handers unfortunately they will have to make their own thumbrest for the moment. Apparently there was no space in the mold to add extra plates. I can see this as an easy add on at a later stage if Mario thinks there is enough demand to make extra molds.