Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Potentially Moving to PCB

I recently got promoted at work and it looks as if I will be in PCB starting in October.

Is there any places to shore dive in the area?

Not too big on scuba spearing and I dont have a boat.

Also Im a spearo from Wisconsin meaning that we dont dive that deep.

I dont need big fish - I need to be legal and have stuff to shoot. Thats all.

Thanks for any info

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Re: Potentially Moving to PCB

There isn't much for shore spearfishing, pretty much all of it requires a boat and 60'+.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Mohney

I'm a Michigan Fresh water spearo, which I have to assume is a lot like Wisconsin.
My advice: Don't listen to the "boat only" stuff from the South Florida guys. You are going to LOVE spearing from the beach in South Florida.
I moved to Deerfield Beach for a job last year and loved the diving. The company folded, so I am back in Michigan, for now.
I know that you have been in 40 degree water for hours looking for a big carp or sheephead, as have I.
You will find fish that are legal to spear off of every beach. Now some beaches will mean that you have to kick for a mile, but I know that you can do it, cause you froze off any kind of good sense a long time ago.
I particularly liked Hillsboro Inlet, but you will find great spearing all over the place. Plenty of people with boats that would be happy to have you come along and pay for some of the gas. Although, if it gets too cold, like 70 degrees they will probably bail on you.
Mohney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vai0 View Post
There isn't much for shore spearfishing, pretty much all of it requires a boat and 60'+.
Kinda what I figured, not what I was hoping to hear.

I dont need much. I come from places where 10' vis is a good day.

Like I said. Just trying to feed myself. A couple sheepshead or spadefish would make me happy.

I was able to find a place to spear in the Fort Myers area so I was hoping people around here might have a thing or two as well.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohney View Post
I'm a Michigan Fresh water spearo, which I have to assume is a lot like Wisconsin.
My advice: Don't listen to the "boat only" stuff from the South Florida guys. You are going to LOVE spearing from the beach in South Florida.
I moved to Deerfield Beach for a job last year and loved the diving. The company folded, so I am back in Michigan, for now.
I know that you have been in 40 degree water for hours looking for a big carp or sheephead, as have I.
You will find fish that are legal to spear off of every beach. Now some beaches will mean that you have to kick for a mile, but I know that you can do it, cause you froze off any kind of good sense a long time ago.
I particularly liked Hillsboro Inlet, but you will find great spearing all over the place. Plenty of people with boats that would be happy to have you come along and pay for some of the gas. Although, if it gets too cold, like 70 degrees they will probably bail on you.
Haha - all of your assumptions are true.

At least once a year I try to get out, but PCB is pretty far north and I have never tried spearing farther north than Fort Myers while in FL.

I hope something acceptable will turn up - but it was a trick to find that one place. Visibility tended to be bad near shore and it was hard to find any sort of structure on beaches.

Having speared the keys of FL and the kelp of CA my favorite spearing is still back at home.

Hoping to find something to keep me occupied while I live down here though.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
DagFish

You can accomplish what you are looking for in shallow depths. In Destin a few crew dive mid bay bridge for sheeps head. If you really want to connect on snapper, grouper, etc. our sites are a bit deeper and a boat is easiest. Walton and okaloosa counties will both be adding inshore dive sites in the next year. They are 800 ft from shore, which will be around 20 ft. Pat green from Panama City dive charters can point you in the right direction.

info@emeraldcoastfreediving.com
DagFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
kodyb87
Kody Bidwell

Send a message via AIM to kodyb87 Send a message via Yahoo to kodyb87

Joe is right. Shore dives are limited in our area but you can feed yourself if you know where to look. I have walked out into St. Joe Bay and killed mullet, flounder, sheeps, and some smaller snapper. I've even seen cobia on the flats. It's all about 3-4 feet deep but it's shooting fish. That's where we learned to shoot when we were younger. The sea wall in Port. St. Joe holds fish too. If you move, just get up with some of us and we'll get you on a boat. Plenty of good spots in freedive range. They are just a little far for a shore dive.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
OBDoc

PM me when you get to town. I live in PCB and have a boat. Always looking for reliable, adult people to dive with. I'm getting a 26 foot Glacier Bay, so we will have plenty of room and a good ride.
Tim
OBDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagFish View Post
You can accomplish what you are looking for in shallow depths. In Destin a few crew dive mid bay bridge for sheeps head. If you really want to connect on snapper, grouper, etc. our sites are a bit deeper and a boat is easiest. Walton and okaloosa counties will both be adding inshore dive sites in the next year. They are 800 ft from shore, which will be around 20 ft. Pat green from Panama City dive charters can point you in the right direction.
I might get a kayak - so these sites might be possible, glad to hear that there is stuff out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyb87 View Post
Joe is right. Shore dives are limited in our area but you can feed yourself if you know where to look. I have walked out into St. Joe Bay and killed mullet, flounder, sheeps, and some smaller snapper. I've even seen cobia on the flats. It's all about 3-4 feet deep but it's shooting fish. That's where we learned to shoot when we were younger. The sea wall in Port. St. Joe holds fish too. If you move, just get up with some of us and we'll get you on a boat. Plenty of good spots in freedive range. They are just a little far for a shore dive.
Awesome. Ive never had a chance to shoot a cobia - and I would love to do so. Three to four feet deep is almost TOO shallow, but if it holds all those fish I will be more than happy to go there and feed myself. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBDoc View Post
PM me when you get to town. I live in PCB and have a boat. Always looking for reliable, adult people to dive with. I'm getting a 26 foot Glacier Bay, so we will have plenty of room and a good ride.
Tim
Thanks - I have dove with a couple people from this site and I am sure they will vouch for me.

Another thing you guys should know is that being from Wisconsin - freedive spearfishing is ALWAYS less than 15'. Its not to say that I cant do more. But I dive three months of the year, and theres no point really in me going deeper than that. I have dove 60' and I have held my breath for over four minutes - but that was in highschool. Now on a good day I will probably static 2:15 - so Im going to basically need to be treated like a kid.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Slight update to this thread.

Its official, I am moving mid september (was hoping to get some bowhunting in before leaving, but now it looks like Ill be spearfishing instead).

Im looking into purchasing a kayak. Is that a intermediate choice? (Better than shore diving?)

Thanks again - looking forward to meeting some of you.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Thood6

Check out the coordinates on divespots.com. They have a few decent spots close to shore. I particularly like the EE. Simpson tug. It's very close to shore, and with the right approach may be kayakable. I always find sheepshead and spades when I go there.
Thood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thood6 View Post
Check out the coordinates on divespots.com. They have a few decent spots close to shore. I particularly like the EE. Simpson tug. It's very close to shore, and with the right approach may be kayakable. I always find sheepshead and spades when I go there.
Awesome, thank you.

Looks pretty close to shore - also appears to be another wreck inside st andrews bay thats only 20' of water.

The EE seems like it might get busy.

What do you mean by "the right approach"?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Thood6

All I mean is that I've never done it and is a few miles out from the pass. I don't know the easiest route to get there by kayak.

The times I've been to the Simpson tug, I've been the only boat there. Completely deserted.
Thood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #14
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thood6 View Post
All I mean is that I've never done it and is a few miles out from the pass. I don't know the easiest route to get there by kayak.

The times I've been to the Simpson tug, I've been the only boat there. Completely deserted.
Sweet, we will try to keep it that way. Thank you