Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Justice Jonez

Perforated Eardrum

Ok, so who here has experienced this & what was your recovery time before diving again? Any & all input is appreciated, thanks.
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Perforated Eardrum

I believe 3 months is what my doc told me. Whatever it is, let it make a FULL recovery. Otherwise, if it breaks in the same spot again there's a good chance it won't heal back up properly, thus needing surgery...like me.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Justice Jonez

Wonderful! Yeah, I cannot for the life of me find much on the net for perforated eardrum recovery time in relation to diving again... I definitely don't want to create further damage by prematurely getting back in the water. But, on the flipside, my business is directly connected with diving ... This accident that I easily could've frukn avoided is costing me big time... DO NOT EVER PUSH PAST CLEARING PRESSURE, unless it's a last resort to save a life.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Sanny

There is a different between a ruptured ear drum and a perforated ear drum. Perforations from diving can be like round pin holes; these heal quickly and you can be diving again in as little as three days. A ruptured membrane that is torn will have a much longer recovery time, some people need surgery. I'm not a doctor but I have gone through it and have had conversations with top tier freedivers on the subject. Hopefully you have had it looked at and this can give you a better understanding of your condition.
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Justice Jonez

*Update*

So, I am completely healed as of weds. 2 1/2 weeks recovery time. Closer to a week, but I wasn't trying to take any risks prematurely gettin back in the water & creating a bigger problem...

Saw a local spearo ENT, all good to go. Went out to test the waters... Felt great! Seems like I am having a harder time hands free clearing, but no problem at all using 1 hand. Im clearing on the surface & almost every kick down now... Don't ever want this injury to reoccur!
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Good to hear! Pun intended.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
Zenon

Mine healed in about 2 months.
It has never been the same after 3 years. I can still dive fine but it always feels a little off and uncomfortable.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote