Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
JeremyFishes

Cool Seal Activists and Spearfisherman

Hey guys, pretty new to the sport of spearfishing and free diving. My name is Jeremy. I am a 21 year old man who is in the navy. Born and raised san diego, currently stationed here too. I have been fishing my whole life and have been introduced to a different approach known as spearfishing. I recently picked up a Cressi Comanche 110 and use it for reef fish and possibly some bigger pelagic species (if i happen to target them that day). My buddy Shane and I have been into the sport for quite awhile but never got our feet wet (over used pun?) anyways he picked up a jbl 38-special sawed off magnum and we both all the other essential gear and we were off. One of our first trips was to mission beach and la jolla but most recently was our visit to the Childrens Pool. Now it is clearly stated that the rope is up as an ADVISORY and the seals and seal lions are still WILD ANIMALS. Now we NEVER mess with the seals and wouldnt think twice if it was a seal lion. A man with his little boy proceeded to verbally attack Shane and I stating I obviously dont know the law and was endangering the seals, which were very playful that day by the way, and that i was not allowed to swim or even be on the beach. While i sternly reminded him that I am well within my rights to swim and play and SHOOT any LEGAL species of fish in the area (so be it not in the protected zone west of childrens pool) he proceeded to call me a jackass and said i was obviously not even from san diego. I was shocked someone could be so rude and misinformed of the law.

has anyone encountered people like this before while spearing at childrens pool? I even had a lady and her friend give me a disgusted look and say "REALLY?!!" as i was walking out of the water dawned in full gear with my spear!!!

Thanks guys!
Jeremy
JeremyFishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Re: Seal Activists and Spearfisherman

When you have run-ins with lames like that, just laugh at them and tell them to call the lifeguards or the rangers if they feel like you are breaking any laws.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
JeremyFishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
When you have run-ins with lames like that, just laugh at them and tell them to call the lifeguards or the rangers if they feel like you are breaking any laws.
Right on. I gave him a piece of mind, but kept my temper. We aint hurting no one, no how! Other then the legal fish of course.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Sprslngr

I was at the childrens pool on Sunday evening with my son just walking off Aloha Sushi's happy hour sushi coma. I saw 3 young spearos get in the water and head out about 100 yards. The comments started right about the time they got in the water. I'm a conservationist, and I get the seal argument. but the crap I heard from these people was stuck up, uninformed ranting. I educated them that as long as they stay out of the preserve, observe fish and game regulations, and are licensed its completely legal. This is the only place I've ever heard things like this. thankfully it seems like most of the people speaking up are just misinformed. But if the seal nazi's are there, all bets are off. Ive never run into them, but Ive read plenty of first hand accounts of their fanatacism on SB. Sounds like you did the right thing and kept your head. Other than that, how was the dive???
Sprslngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

Unfortunately, its a common occurrence at CP. Just stay cool, try not to bother the seals, and do your thing. Most of them are emotional fanatics who really don't know the first thing about the place. You might want to check out...

http://www.friendsofthechildrenspool.com/

to get some background. At the end of the day, it's your right to enjoy CP and the seal nazi's can take a long walk on a short pier.

Welcome to SB!

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
standish
Fishy shaft

Remind them that you are completely within your legal right to spear fish there and are following all regulations. Then remind them that they are violating fish and game code 2009 that protects those legally pursuing game from someone willfully interfering and that it is punishable by a misdemeanor. And tell them you would be more than happy to then call fish and game if there is a problem. Then quickly turn on your go pro(start carrying one) and tell them you will be documenting their actions.... These people want nothing more than for you to lose your cool and misrepresent us as a whole, or just get yourself in trouble. If you take the approach I said hopefully you can turn it back on them. Some very petty acts have been committed by them, so keep calm and film on.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Zenon

Justin eluded to to my following point in another thread: Whatever you do, do not disturb the seals.

Children's pool is such a unique environment. Where else can you find "wild" animals so close to so much development and accessibility? Not to mention the audience it provides. As a result it has become an excellent location for people to take up their fight for a cause.

We all know that the people for closure of the beach can be extreme. They have money and they have support of some people who can influence policy.

Every incident at CP is documented and magnified. It is extremely important that we, as representatives of spearfishermen (by the way, anyone who dives CP is a representative), do our best to come across as responsible, intelligent, and respectful.

Every interaction counts.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
unkabonka

Trust me, you are not the first unfortunately! These people are the wackiest on earth... just ignore them or have fun with it like Ethan does.

unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
rhyne

Welcome to the CP debacle, 20 years and counting. It is highly advised that in addition to keeping your cool, and representing us spearos in a positive light... please reach out to your local city council members, Department of fish and wildlife, mayors office, etc... Let them know how your rights are being impeded. without this happening we're just pissing in the wind by acknowledging these nut cases when they rant. it'd be best to ignore them, and call actual authorities that have the ability to implement change.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Zenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
Trust me, you are not the first unfortunately! These people are the wackiest on earth... just ignore them or have fun with it like Ethan does.

http://youtu.be/81nPaHH5idc
The 8:30 mark says it all.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
riff
><>

shes hawt

update: well i guess im not going to work the rest of the day.

Last edited by riff; 08-14-2013 at 05:35 PM.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
SDDiver5

Is there actually footage of ethan?
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
JeremyFishes

Smile Re: Seal Activists and Spearfisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprslngr View Post
I was at the childrens pool on Sunday evening with my son just walking off Aloha Sushi's happy hour sushi coma. I saw 3 young spearos get in the water and head out about 100 yards. The comments started right about the time they got in the water. I'm a conservationist, and I get the seal argument. but the crap I heard from these people was stuck up, uninformed ranting. I educated them that as long as they stay out of the preserve, observe fish and game regulations, and are licensed its completely legal. This is the only place I've ever heard things like this. thankfully it seems like most of the people speaking up are just misinformed. But if the seal nazi's are there, all bets are off. Ive never run into them, but Ive read plenty of first hand accounts of their fanatacism on SB. Sounds like you did the right thing and kept your head. Other than that, how was the dive???

that was totally us! We went Sunday evening! Thanks for having our backs!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Slug

Oh man that video makes my blood boil everyone I see it.
Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Slug

Sorry "every time I see it". I couldn't do it, my temper would flare down there. Best I stay away from CP or I'll go to jail.
Slug is offline   Reply With Quote