Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
fireroost21

Catalina Info please

Hello y’all
I’m diving Catalina next weekend spearing and bug diving. I am pretty unfamiliar with Catalina and could use any help you guys are willing to share. We will be in the 2 Harbors area possibly shooting around to the backside a bit if weather permits. Wondering if anyone has any spots that you are willing to share that you have had success: Yellowtail White Seabass and bugs. Thanks a ton I am not looking for your guys secret spots or anything like that just some help getting me into some fish. Thanks again. Have a good day.
fireroost21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Catalina Info please

...Just head west out of the Isthmus and start hitting any kelp beds projecting offshore, especially on points of land . We found volume of squid in the area with some marks of white sea bass on our fish finder below the squid. Early morning on a high tide or late afternoon after 3 pm on a high tide is best time to hunt, although the wind has been coming up by 10 a.m.....Vis was peasoup on our trip but, we were lobster hooping and didn't care..
...Check "Tempbreak".com to see where the least "green" chlorophyll areas are. You want purple colored areas for good vis...You can backtrack click on Tempbreak down to the most recent 1-day report, rather than using the 8 day average that shows on the site...lack of chart info is because of clouds blocking the satelite images..Mid-week swells predicted to build to 5-7' but, dropping to 2-4' by Friday..
...The backside near the west end also has white sea bass, again near the kelp beds. There are also some wsb being caught down as far as Cat Harbor and scattered yellowtail, but, tough to get on, due to the sea lions. They don't like sea lions and tend to go deeper in sea lion areas.
... I recommend a mooring at the Isthmus, as anchoring this time of year can be dangerous with conditions changing quickly. Pulling anchor in high wind at 3 a.m. in pitch black conditions is no fun... been there, done that...The Isthmus has showers, a small store, a bar and restaurant. You can tie up at the pier gas dock (east side) temporarily if you just want to run ashore to get coffee/food to go..just converse with the gas dock attendant first...good luck
...Youngsters on Spring Break: Stay the hell out of Puerto Vallarta: due to sexual assaults, kidnappings and other crimes against tourists, there is a level 3 travel warning by the State Department...be safe...……..Saturday: n/w swell 2-3', wind 10-15 mph...hit backside early..

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-11-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
costamesaspearo

Bob always provides great information!! I am actually heading to two harbors Friday to camp with friends. We’re diving for lobster and spearing if you wanna join us. We’re camping right by the beach, come have a beer!

My name is James!
costamesaspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
fireroost21

Thanks a ton Bob. I will definitely use that info hopeing to score. I’ll let ya know how we do. James we will be staying at emerald bay and will be in and out of two harbors. I will try to Cruz by thanks for the invite Tyler
fireroost21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

One last suggestion: This time of year, the west end and Isthmus can get blown out by early winds from the north or northwest, creating large rolling swells and high winds, with bad vis. In that case, Plan B is to drop down east below the Isthmus and tuck in behind Long Point to wait it out or dive that area for gamefish if kelp is present. Plan C is to say the hell with it and retire into Avalon; head for the El Galleon bar or Marlin Club and tell bigger lies than the locals.....Best seafood is at the Lobster Trap bar and restaurant...
... At the Isthmus, I always ask for a mooring in close to the beach, tucked up against the west cliff area. Avoid the moorings in front of the camp ground, as the west winds blow directly thru the gap, creating miserable overnight sleep conditions....If you are tough enough to pay for 4 nights, the next 3 nights are free.... Isthmus Harbor Department: VHF Ch. 9 or 310 510-4254; Emergencies: dial 911... Avalon Hbr. Dept: VHF ch. 12 or 16 or 310 510-0535; shoreboat: Ch. 9

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 03-12-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

It should be a nice weekend. Slight Santa Ana conditions make for calm seas. Water is green, and cold. But probably better than most of the mainland. Watch out for hoopnetters, since it's the last weekend of the season. Have fun!