Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
seadogger

ponce today Sunday 10-5-13

Seas were supposed to be unfavorable today but we decided the Fountain 38 w/ triple 350's could handle it .
Got an invite by Trey, Mako mike,and Tory along with Gerome and Jake ( Gatorhick ). Tory......your boat is scary fast !! 80 mph !!
We headed south to the party grounds and Jake, Mike, Gerome rolled in first.
Mike shoots a nice gag, Gerome gets his hog and Jake bags some big bugs
Now its time for Trey and I to catch up !! We both hit the ledge and shoot 2 nice gags. I got 5 bugs and Trey was closing in
1st drop for us produces bugs, flounder, big Mango's and flounder, triggers. Trey and I saw a big Bull shark near the end of our dive so we started up and got separated . I stuck a big Lionfish on the way up and had him on my shaft at about 40 ft. The vis on the bottom was good at about 20 ft but upper water column sucked at < 7ft. Out of nowhere an 8ft+ Tiger shark with 3 cobes under her decides she wants my grouper I have NEVER seen a tiger off of Ponce.
She was on me like white on rice. I jabbed her 4-5 times and it didn't phase her. I finally got the lion fish off and broke the surface and she was on top with me now !! Thank God the boat was close and they heard my frantic whistle. We saw the Tiger, a couple bulls, a big Hammerhead and bunch of Nurses too.
We hit a couple more spots coming back North and got more nice fish/ bugs.
It was a great day....again
Thank you Trey and Tory for letting me go.
Vis was green down to 40-50 ft then it opened up to about 20 ft. 76 otb, some current S > N.

Tory jumped on his Seadoo scooter and followed me around and got some good go-pro of me yanking lobsters And sad to say I also shot a 50+ cobe in front of him but it tore off. !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	196580   Click image for larger version

Name:	177.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	196581   Click image for larger version

Name:	182.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	196582   Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	196583  

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Re: ponce today Sunday 10-5-13

Sounds like a great time...

80 mph...wow!! Bet it's easy to loose hat, sunglasses and rip a forgotten dive flag to pieces..watch out for flying fish!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Riffe_it

Sounds like it turned out to be great day and pics to show for it too! This year i have dove the party grounds on two separate occasions and months apart and have had tigers sharks both about 8ft as well come up and check things out! One was caught off the party grounds off the bottom (good release) and the second one followed us up from a dive and had nice!! cobia on him as well.

I guess have to click the links on the photos...

Last edited by SpearMax; 10-07-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Riffe_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

I fixed your photobucket links using "Direct Link" inside the IMG icon. Photobucket changed its linking codes a bit recently and you are presented with a few choices. Just copy the "Direct Link" code into the window that pops up when you click on the "Insert Image" icon on the vBulletin tool bar above.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Riffe_it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
I fixed your photobucket links using "Direct Link" inside the IMG icon. Photobucket changed its linking codes a bit recently and you are presented with a few choices. Just copy the "Direct Link" code into the window that pops up when you click on the "Insert Image" icon on the vBulletin tool bar above.
Awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
lgsliptip
scuba Steve

That is one hell of a boat.
Nice job!
lgsliptip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffe_it View Post
Sounds like it turned out to be great day and pics to show for it too! This year i have dove the party grounds on two separate occasions and months apart and have had tigers sharks both about 8ft as well come up and check things out! One was caught off the party grounds off the bottom (good release) and the second one followed us up from a dive and had nice!! cobia on him as well.

I guess have to click the links on the photos...
Those are some really cool pic's !!

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Nice work and write up, how do you get back on the boat.
Where is the ladder located.Friend of mine just bought a 37 sea hunter with
trip 350 yam 4 strokes.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
lgsliptip
scuba Steve

You Do Not need a ladder when you are diving with tigers!!

You just Jump in the Boat!!
lgsliptip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
makomike27

ladder is telescopic and folds up and into the haul...pretty cool but not designed for scuba. It worked...
makomike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgsliptip View Post

x4

Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Riffe_it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgsliptip View Post

Hahahaha! Amen to that!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
2GuysFishCo
Licensed To Kill...FISH!

Great report and pics! Sounds like my kind of ride, 80mph!! Not to derail, but we hit some 80ft stuff north of the Port and one of the divers was chased out of the water by a reported 9ft Hammerhead and a smaller bull. Said they circled him and got poked several times, but stayed on him. He did came back with all his fish and limbs. I told him Hammerheads have no reported attacks with fatalities, but he didn't believe me!!!
2GuysFishCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
seadogger

I have seen AND been harassed by more sharks this past year than my 30 yrs of diving Ponce. I guess because we have more spearos now than years past and they are getting used to our guns going off. ?? Like down in Jupiter on the deep ledge with the big Lemons. I need Randy to come up here and take these bastards back south with him !!!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
I have seen AND been harassed by more sharks this past year than my 30 yrs of diving Ponce. I guess because we have more spearos now than years past and they are getting used to our guns going off. ?? Like down in Jupiter on the deep ledge with the big Lemons. I need Randy to come up here and take these bastards back south with him !!!
Also, bc (last I've heard) they shut down commercial netting of sharks a few years back...Capt Robert used to pull them all out of the way for us!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote