Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #31
264win
My name is Adam

Re: Spearfishing halibut???

That was big fish.
It gave me the creeps to see how tangled he was in his line when he started stabbing it out.
264win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264win View Post
That was big fish.
It gave me the creeps to see how tangled he was in his line when he started stabbing it out.
The wonders of reel line. If you use a reel, as you pull up the fish, swim away from the line accumulating on the surface to keep it straight. Coiling it in his hand like he did is a recipe for disaster. Good thing that fish did not make a run.

Better yet, use a float line. But still swim away from it too, as even it can loop if piled up in one spot, though nothing like reel line does.

Remember, your number one job is not to recover the fish. Your number one job is line management. Everything else takes second place to that.

So as soon as you shoot a fish do not think "I got a fish!" Think "I have to manage my line!"
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #33
spearfishingbc

Ya I fully agree, I've got a riffe reel on my gun but I defiantly will be doing a break away setup for those barn doors.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #34
MikePierce170

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
The wonders of reel line. If you use a reel, as you pull up the fish, swim away from the line accumulating on the surface to keep it straight. Coiling it in his hand like he did is a recipe for disaster. Good thing that fish did not make a run.

Better yet, use a float line. But still swim away from it too, as even it can loop if piled up in one spot, though nothing like reel line does.

Remember, your number one job is not to recover the fish. Your number one job is line management. Everything else takes second place to that.

So as soon as you shoot a fish do not think "I got a fish!" Think "I have to manage my line!"
Another little device you can add to help manage line and retrieve the fish is the Float Line Clutch. Here is what it looks like in use: https://youtu.be/ANvt-gbM0CA

It kinda works on the same principal as those Chinese finger traps haha. You can buy them for $60 at Neptonics
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #35
steepNdeep
Wet spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post

Good advice Max! Things can get critical in a second with a big fish on the line & no fish is worth your life. I've seen several fish that seemed stoned, only to surprise me & come back to life when I went to grab them by the gills. As you suggested, I use a float line & try to swim away from the tangle while retrieving the fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePierce170 View Post
Another little device you can add to help manage line and retrieve the fish is the Float Line Clutch. Here is what it looks like in use: https://youtu.be/ANvt-gbM0CA

It kinda works on the same principal as those Chinese finger traps haha. You can buy them for $60 at Neptonics
Cool vid. Josh at Neptonics makes good stuff & is a good guy. Sea lions are a PIA & stole much of our bait when we were teasing for marlin!

You can also just run the float line through the tuna clips attached to the float. It worked fine for this fish in Oz:

Last edited by steepNdeep; 03-13-2015 at 03:32 PM.
steepNdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #36
spearfishingbc

Wow man that's impressive, I'm loving that pic of the marlin and I think if I plugged a Hali that's what I'd do Is run the float line threw the tuna clips, just cause in bc I would never use the floatline clutch on rockfish or lings.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #37
rootsman
Jeff

A prussik knot in a 2' loop of 2 mil cord will also work as a clutch on a float line and is about as cheap as you can get. It's an easy and useful knot for anytime you want to be able to hold tension on a rope or line without having yourself in the system.

Last edited by rootsman; 03-19-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: further pontification
rootsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #38
HardEfforts

There are some good areas up by Dent and Stuart Island for Halibut late spring early summer.
HardEfforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #39
spearfishingbc

Sweet thanks man ill hit that up in the summer.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #40
HardEfforts

Late spring time is best once summer comes they leave or go deep. Not sure where they go . Outside Kanish Bay area could be good as well. I have noticed a better bite north towards the areas around the Dixon area later in the summer. I am not sure why.
HardEfforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #41
Transporter
Ian Elstrom

Jeff, can we see a pic of your Prussik knot setup? Interested to see what this looks like.

I haven't tried those Neptonics float clutches personally but I've been on tuna trips with other guys who cursed them profusely.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #42
rootsman
Jeff

Ian, here's a pretty good site http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/ The article recommends 5 or 6 mil cord, I incorrectly wrote 2 mil previously. And of course, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

The basic idea is that the knot grips the float line when cinched tight, can be clipped off to a float or yak, and will keep tension on the line without you holding it. Line can be pulled through in either direction by gripping the knot and loosening it. After reefing in some line you can let go, and the fish pulling on the line causes the knot to tighten and lock down on the rope, holding it in place.

There's also a tuna float thread around that mentions prusiks.
rootsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #43
kehloken

Mikepierce170 thanks for sharing that clutch, it will be usefull when spearing down at 110' and not a stone shot, especially if it is over 60 ta 70 pounds, it will take even more line.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #44
spearfishingbc

In BC the biggest fish would only be able to be about 70lb, we have a 133cm maximum size from head to tail.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #45
kehloken

wow is that slot limit also on the coast or just the gulf islands and Interior passages up vancouver island.