Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Mako vs JBL vs AB BILLER
Mako 65 66.33%
JBL 16 16.33%
AB BILLER 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
AndrewK

Re: Mako vs JBL vs AB Biller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Once you have held one of the new Pathos you won't think its just another railgun..my recently got a 120 laser open and damn that thing is sweet. The handle, muzzle, and reverse mech all make it a better gun IMO than most other railguns. Coming in at under $400 for the carbon and $300 for the aluminum is going to put a hurtin on many brands out there.
I have held one and just wasnt sold on em. nice looking guns dont get me wrong. havent ever shot one and havent seen one shot, just personal opinion and preference.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Crissay53

This is my first gun... I usually use my friends or use my pole spear and im only 5'6 so im not looking at anything real big yet
Crissay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissay53 View Post
This is my first gun... I usually use my friends or use my pole spear and im only 5'6 so im not looking at anything real big yet
I am the same height as you and I can load my 130cm no problem.Go with the bigger gun like a 110cm for the viz you guys have there,you won't regret it.When I dove dania beach I used a 90cm and felt I was undergunned.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
jstiver09

Andrew,

Fair enough, I figured you probably had held one.

Crissay,

Go with a Pathos laser 110 with a reel....the gun I would choose if I had to only pick one.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Chrissay,

If you are anywhere close to Nautilus go over there to check out the Pathos guns. You will not be disappointed. Andrew will give you a good deal.

AndrewK,
What didn't you like on the Pathos spearguns exactly? The ergonomic handle, the polished 100% stainless trigger mech, or the fully anodized aluminum pipe with track?

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Petros couple things: what would be a good replacement reel for the pathos? Without being too direct....they are just not made well. With a pathos reel the gun almost floats with shaft. So that being said what reel do you think would have the least effect on that characteristic? Second, do the large bands that come with the gun have a larger bore center than american bands? I dont want to remove wishbone and retie if you know the answer. Thanks. Also many people comment on the side of the line release. I believe I have the II mech and changing it to a RH release was just to simple. Why not post up a pic and show them how? Lastly the butt just sucks its too small. Im thinking I will just cut mine off the guns I have
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
ChadMcD
Vegas Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
AndrewK,
What didn't you like on the Pathos spearguns exactly? The ergonomic handle, the polished 100% stainless trigger mech, or the fully anodized aluminum pipe with track?
Not sure if this was supposed to be a smartass comment. If it was, there's no need to be defensive on here. Everyone here knows you're the distributor for Pathos in the US and AndrewK is entitled to his own opinion. I'm sure there are other people who prefer to use guns besides pathos too. Let your product speak for themselves. Here are a few things I don't like about the Pathos guns. Correct me if I am wrong on any of these statements:
1) I've heard the loading butt pad comes off easy. Without it, it looks like a b#@$ to load
2) Not sure why the aluminum barrel has a rough finish. It would look cleaner if it didn't.
3) The rail on the carbon barrel is not integrated into the barrel. It is stuck on.
4) Safety button on the handle serves no purpose
5) Open muzzle is suited for people who wrap the line with their left hand. Line pin/ anchor on right side, line groove on left.
ChadMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
AndrewK

Quote:

AndrewK,
Way too big of words there... Not a fan of the ergo handles , never liked the idea of them. and all that technical yadda yadda doesn't really concern me when I look at a speargun.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
With a pathos reel the gun almost floats with shaft. So that being said what reel do you think would have the least effect on that characteristic? Second, do the large bands that come with the gun have a larger bore center than american bands?
pathos used normal kent rubber in the past, they switched to primeline recently (thank god) all the same inner bore as any other us bands.
As far as the reels go the meandros or MVD's seem to be pretty light and are built a lot more robust than the pathos reels. The drag system on the meandros is amazing too. my buddy has meandros reels on all his guns, hopefully he can chime in on how they affected buoyancy.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #25
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMcD View Post
Not sure if this was supposed to be a smartass comment. If it was, there's no need to be defensive on here.
man petros can barely speak english let alone try to be an internet smartass
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #26
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

2fishin2: You said the gun almost floats, does that mean it sinks extremely slowly? Do you have the carbon or the aluminum?

The reels were designed to be light weight so that they do not add extra weight to the gun. I noticed that some people were not using them correctly and as a result they would either loose the screw or break it. Please let me know which reel you have and what the problem was.
A good alternative is the MVD reels and the Meandros reels. I have both horizontal and vertical of the MVD and all with drag and quick release (unfortunately people still don't understand the concept of quick release).
If you do have the ergonomic handle then yes you have the gun with the loading pad that is small. Some people find it to be positive since it is not an obstruction and some people find it to be a negative since it hurts when loading.
I am working on several items including the line release (even though this is so simple it needs no explanation) that i need to post and waiting for the winter closure to do so.
AndrewK, ChadMcD: I am sorry, i was not trying to be a smartass. I was truly trying to understand what you did not like on the gun. The gun does come with a simple handle on the D'Angelo I trigger and we are working on the mold for the left and simple on the D'Angelo II.
ChadMcD:
1) I've heard the loading butt pad comes off easy. Without it, it looks like a b#@$ to load. I have no loading butts on any of my guns. Yes it does come off after some use and you can loose it if you don't pay attention. It is something that i was first to notice as soon as i received the guns. We are trying to find an alternative. I do have an easy fix. All you do is use a drill and open a small hole in the center and then drive a screw in. Problem solved.
2) Not sure why the aluminum barrel has a rough finish. It would look cleaner if it didn't. It was meant to replicate the sharkskin surface to reduce turbulence. Again it is a matter of preference and for that reason i asked the company to have both kinds.
3) The rail on the carbon barrel is not integrated into the barrel. It is stuck on. Big gun manufacturers e.g. Daryl use same technique on their guns. Only difference we use a carbon rail. I did ask the company about this and they explained to me that carbon pipes with integrated carbon rail, at the location of the rail and sometimes most of the rest of the pipe do not have carbon material but instead powders mixed with resins and then they dress those up with a layer of a carbon cloth on the outside resulting to a weaker tube.
4) Safety button on the handle serves no purpose. True.
5) Open muzzle is suited for people who wrap the line with their left hand. Line pin/ anchor on right side, line groove on left. True. You can still use either hand and utilize the line release on the right side. This is also a very easy conversion if you really don't like the line on the left. You place the pin on the opposite site and use a dremmel to create a small groove on the opposite side. I do it for people that request it and a few people told me they did it themselves.
I also had several people that after they started using it on the left they really liked it.

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #27
ChadMcD
Vegas Spearo

Quote:
2fishin2: You said the gun almost floats, does that mean it sinks extremely slowly? Do you have the carbon or the aluminum?

The reels were designed to be light weight so that they do not add extra weight to the gun. I noticed that some people were not using them correctly and as a result they would either loose the screw or break it. Please let me know which reel you have and what the problem was.
A good alternative is the MVD reels and the Meandros reels. I have both horizontal and vertical of the MVD and all with drag and quick release (unfortunately people still don't understand the concept of quick release).
If you do have the ergonomic handle then yes you have the gun with the loading pad that is small. Some people find it to be positive since it is not an obstruction and some people find it to be a negative since it hurts when loading.
I am working on several items including the line release (even though this is so simple it needs no explanation) that i need to post and waiting for the winter closure to do so.
AndrewK, ChadMcD: I am sorry, i was not trying to be a smartass. I was truly trying to understand what you did not like on the gun. The gun does come with a simple handle on the D'Angelo I trigger and we are working on the mold for the left and simple on the D'Angelo II.
ChadMcD:
1) I've heard the loading butt pad comes off easy. Without it, it looks like a b#@$ to load. I have no loading butts on any of my guns. Yes it does come off after some use and you can loose it if you don't pay attention. It is something that i was first to notice as soon as i received the guns. We are trying to find an alternative. I do have an easy fix. All you do is use a drill and open a small hole in the center and then drive a screw in. Problem solved.
2) Not sure why the aluminum barrel has a rough finish. It would look cleaner if it didn't. It was meant to replicate the sharkskin surface to reduce turbulence. Again it is a matter of preference and for that reason i asked the company to have both kinds.
3) The rail on the carbon barrel is not integrated into the barrel. It is stuck on. Big gun manufacturers e.g. Daryl use same technique on their guns. Only difference we use a carbon rail. I did ask the company about this and they explained to me that carbon pipes with integrated carbon rail, at the location of the rail and sometimes most of the rest of the pipe do not have carbon material but instead powders mixed with resins and then they dress those up with a layer of a carbon cloth on the outside resulting to a weaker tube.
4) Safety button on the handle serves no purpose. True.
5) Open muzzle is suited for people who wrap the line with their left hand. Line pin/ anchor on right side, line groove on left. True. You can still use either hand and utilize the line release on the right side. This is also a very easy conversion if you really don't like the line on the left. You place the pin on the opposite site and use a dremmel to create a small groove on the opposite side. I do it for people that request it and a few people told me they did it themselves.
I also had several people that after they started using it on the left they really liked it.
Excellent reply

Now those Bleutecs are where it's at! I'm saving up my pennies for one the Oceanborns as we speak
ChadMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Just got the verification from the factory that within a few months we will have the muzzle with pin on the left to make line wrapping on the right easier.
They also verified that we will be getting the left ergonomic handle as well as the universal handle. I might actually have some new items to show at The Blue Wild in Florida.

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
isotopez

Quote:
Just got the verification from the factory that within a few months we will have the muzzle with pin on the left to make line wrapping on the right easier.
They also verified that we will be getting the left ergonomic handle as well as the universal handle. I might actually have some new items to show at The Blue Wild in Florida.
I'll bring the stella
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Timinator

I've had a Riffe gun for a short time and had a custom Alexander off shore gun built years ago. Neither gun I could get to shoot straight and I couldn't hit a fish with either of them. I've never been so frustrated in the water than having the best Yellowtail day of my life ruined because a gun doesn't shoot straight.

I've built several longer guns off the JBL Sawed Off Magnum platforms, not giant tuna guns, but with longer tubes, 3 super modulus band, long 5/16" shafts and break-a-way handles, I never came across anything in Baja I didn't kill with them. And they even had a safety! Back then all the newer custom guns didn't exist and I'll be giving them a try soon, but the tried and true JBL platform has taken a lot of fish over the years. Although I didn't vote since I've not shot a Mako or RA gun.
Timinator is offline   Reply With Quote