Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Carburetor Question

Just curious, does anyone know if there is a recommended maximum number of times a Holley 4-bbl can be rebuilt? Im running small block Fords (351W) with Holley 4160 marine carbs. I've had the starboard unit rebuilt a couple times, but its still pissing me off. Port is fine, having been rebuilt at a different time but by the same shop. Im about ready to just buy a new carb, so if anyone has any (useful!!) input it would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
lemke

Re: Carburetor Question

What are you doing to "rebuild" the carb? Unless you are reshaping or taper boring the throats, I would say an indefinite amount of times. What sort of problems are you having?
lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I agree. I have raced and opened and readjusted everything many times in Holley and other types of carbs. They dont need replaced, unless something is altered or cracked and causing a problem. Holleys are very easy carbs to get right. Float level is very easy. No needles either. What is the problem? Power valves can rupture and give problems until replaced.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

IMO, there is nothing that 'wears' out in that carb besides the moving parts...which aren't expensive to replace.
It sounds like you've some water in the ethanol sponge gas that your unscrupulous mechanic is screwing you on. JMOH until further evidence is given.
I hope this helps.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

did the floats get replaced in the rebuild and were they properly set? Many kits ive bought over the years didnt have them. If they arent set right or are saturated, it wont work properly and youll have issues
Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
lemke

Make sure you replace EVERY rubber gasket, diaphragm, O-ring, seal, etc. Ethanol laden fuel destroys them. Also, check the running pressure of the fuel pump, as ethanol can burn those up too. I assume you have an electric fuel pump. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, the diaphragm could be compromised. One last thing is to check for debris in the fuel bowl(s), fuel filter and fuel lines. If you have older fuel lines (gray or marked 30r7), they are not ethanol compatible, and will disintegrate from the inside... clogging up everything.
lemke is offline   Reply With Quote