Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #76
kehloken

Re: Spearing Accident with Randy Jordan

Think you can get all the comparison of animals to sharks on last years threads. don't see how it even comes near or relevant to anything to the shark, as it is not an animal.
Well okay it's a predator of the sea.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #77
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoelman View Post
I respect your opinon and feeling toward this activity.
Key words here.
1. Wild Dangerous Beasts
2.My Experience
3. The Shark choose it so.

1. We have all seen the videos of the feeding, (Dont see any wild dangerous beasts).
2. We all have our own experience with sharks , Look at Randys.
3. My favorite .How many Scuba Divers or Free Divers have been eaten since
the show started early last year.None.
We all know if the Sharks want to eat us , anywhere not just where Randy
has his show they could.
But they choose not too.!!!Why is that.!!!!!!!!!!

Your a class act Killian , thanks for great input.
For those who do care ,I think Randy is diving today.
He has Guts and A Story.
One question. What the hell is up with you and guts? you act like we should all have guts to hand feed sharks, and if we dont have guts to do something dumb and dangerous as hell where pussys. It seems like every post on this thread ive read from you is about how you and randy have guts and we should all be like you guys. Its perfectly safe because "no ones gotten bit yet" But when someone does get bit what are you going to say? and I have a pretty bad feeling that someone will get bit. you know i truly feel that im lucky i havnt gotten bit yet and ive never hand fed a shark in my F***in life...[/quote]

John how old are you , mind if I ask.By looking at your avatar you seem very young,and no Iam not calling you or anyone a pussy.
You got some game ,you come on here with your opinions wether pro or con
and I respect that.You say you have storys and Happy endings, lets hear some .Lets hope the happy endings are about spearfishing and similar activities.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #78
Summerland Key

I am not a big fan of shark feedings, but there are probably acceptable and unacceptable ways of doing it. An example of an unacceptable way is described below.

I dive under the Bahia Honda bridge a lot -- either collecting various marine life specimens or working on the web cam. I have never really worried about sharks until a couple of years ago when several divers from the Keys were trying to get film footage of a bull shark biting a human leg.

They were not actually using a human leg, but the leg off a manequin. Bahia Honda very seldom has clear water and the currents can be strong -- we always dive it on the tide change. The group trying to get the footage was chumming heavily, while diving, and planned to thrust the manequin's leg out in the chum when the bull sharks came in. Basically, conditioning the sharks to associate a human leg with food -- not a smart move.

The DOT divers were working on the bridge at the time and were obviously concerned for the safety of their divers. Also, the swimming area for the state park is located just several hundred yards from where these folks were chumming.

I don't know if they ever got the footage they wanted, or how far they even went with the project, but they managed to piss off a lot of us that dive the bridge.
Summerland Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #79
felix tesler

propman do you agree that sharks are wild and dangerous animals and dont twist your answer its a yes or no answer.
felix tesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #80
FredT

Please be aware that Randy's incident was not a shark accident or attack, but one where the diver got his fingers "inside the loop" of a shooting line. ANY fish over about 30 pounds can do the same thing, not just a shark.

The shark thing may be an interesting red herring distracting you from the actual lesson to be learned, but it is nothing more.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #81
Skudrunner
Pelagic Predator

Please Google

Normalization of Deviance

This term was canned after the Space Shuttle took off 24 times with the wrong puddy in its Rocket Boosters or the Costa Cruise Ship SOP or lack there of:

Just because people do sometime and get away with it for a season does not make it right or an acceptable practice there are always consequences and risks to mitigate

Im not sure how others on this forum perceive Sharks but I perceive them with somewhat predictable behavior and somewhat unpredictable behavior perhaps its this flirting with danger thats makes spearfishing challenging along with hunting our targeted species

it is for this reason that certain Sharks can be very dangerous at times and at other times not so much

They are a creature which can be conditioned or trained to be fed. If they associate food with humans yes they are dangerous to those of us who are hunting our own prey
Skudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #82
Skudrunner
Pelagic Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Please be aware that Randy's incident was not a shark accident or attack, but one where the diver got his fingers "inside the loop" of a shooting line. ANY fish over about 30 pounds can do the same thing, not just a shark.

The shark thing may be an interesting red herring distracting you from the actual lesson to be learned, but it is nothing more.
Good point Fred T this thread seems to be going the other way
it was an accident that can happen to any line shafters with spectra or for that matter any line shafters period
Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #83
felix tesler

fredt i know the whole story but i also believe that this happened because sharks are being feed because that shark felt comfortable enough to come that close to a diver to snatch fish and propman said that sharks are NOT wild and dangerous animals. oh and there is a lovely invention called a reel you put it on your gun so you dont have to wrap your finger on the line. I wish randy a speedy recovery but i do not feel sorry for him because his injury was his fault there are a lot of precautions he should have taken before getting in shark infested waters one of them is to have a reel on your gun so that when the fish takes off it doesn't take off with your arm.
felix tesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #84
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix tesler View Post
fredt i know the whole story but i also believe that this happened because sharks are being feed because that shark felt comfortable enough to come that close to a diver to snatch fish and propman said that sharks are NOT wild and dangerous animals. oh and there is a lovely invention called a reel you put it on your gun so you dont have to wrap your finger on the line. I wish randy a speedy recovery but i do not feel sorry for him because his injury was his fault there are a lot of precautions he should have taken before getting in shark infested waters one of them is to have a reel on your gun so that when the fish takes off it doesn't take off with your arm.
Reels can have there issues also, back lash , knots , too loose or tight of a drag,etc.Spearfishing is not for everyone , ( Sh!! happens ) so we learn by trial and error at times.As for your earlier question on my thoughts on sharks ,yes they are a wild and yes they can be dangerous at times depending on the situation and type of shark.
This time of year I fear birds , they kill alot of people here in Florida.
You know the ones ,SNOWBIRDS, now thats Dangerous.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #85
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post

I'm not so sure I agree with this at all. He shot a small cobia.. I think the chance of that fish yanking his fingers off is pretty low. I think this was very much associated with the SHARK that acted very aggressively.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #86
johndoelman
KOAH Spearguns

Agreed 100% very unlikely for a fish to completely rip off fingers like that... but a bull shark seems very likely.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #87
Skudrunner
Pelagic Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I'm not so sure I agree with this at all. He shot a small cobia.. I think the chance of that fish yanking his fingers off is pretty low. I think this was very much associated with the SHARK that acted very aggressively.
I agree 100% that a small Cobia alone doing this on its own would be most improbable without a bigger Critter be it a Shark or Goliath or some other underwater Behemoth pulling it as well
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #88
FredT

All it takes a a wrap of smallish diameter shooting line, and a sudden increase in tension. A cobia over 30 pounds will do it if you let him have a bit of slack he can take up all at once. A small cobia or other fish being hit by a big barracuda, grouper, snapper or jack will strip meat of fingers and hands too.

The way to prevent this with a shooting line is to use a riding rig. There are several discussions on them here in the archives.

"THE SHARK" in any of it's many incarnations through this thread is not the lesson to be learned here! Not getting body bits inside a bight of line is the important lesson! Randy has bled enough for us all to take that lesson to heart.

This same type of damage has been seen on quite a few of the bodies whose families were lucky enough to have them recovered from the Rigs, but usually the line bight strips flesh to the bone to the big hard bit at the wrist, ankle, or knee with the diver not lucky enough to have it strip the flesh all the way off. Once the bight is tight around the bone the diver is trapped & unable to free it, and either drowns tied to the rig or bleeds out and/or drowns during the ride.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote