Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
GBS14

Wetsuit recommendations

Hello everybody. I'm relatively new to spear fishing and have been just using a regular surfing wetsuit. But I've done it enough to graduate to a new camo wetsuit. I was wondering how thick and what brand I should get. I'm a fairly warm person as it is and living in San Diego, CA I am kind of torn on what to buy. Any suggestions? All the best and happy spearing
GBS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
alanSB

Re: Wetsuit recommendations

Heard great things about the suits from Spearamerica - affordable, durable, and simple.

Shoot "Cyprus_Spearo" a pm. He will take care of you.

As the water gets warmer this upcoming year, you might start heating up more than usual. But letting in a bit of water flush down the hood once you start warming up should fix that. Hit a 5mm - and it can even be used for a few more years once the water starts to cool as well.
alanSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
FreediveFlorida

I like my Seac Kobra and it was moderately priced as well. My spetton suit ripped on me after only a few dives, and I heard they went out of business but not sure if that's true.
FreediveFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS14 View Post
Hello everybody. I'm relatively new to spear fishing and have been just using a regular surfing wetsuit. But I've done it enough to graduate to a new camo wetsuit. I was wondering how thick and what brand I should get. I'm a fairly warm person as it is and living in San Diego, CA I am kind of torn on what to buy. Any suggestions? All the best and happy spearing
Give us a call if you have any questions about our Yamamoto, Camo suits. We sell direct, with no retail overhead.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Wetsuits-s/94.htm

Thanks

Dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Water Donkey

Dang those mako reversible suits look legit and super cheap for Japanese rubber.... What's the fit like compared to a quicksilver suit?
Water Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Find a good local store and go in try on the suits. A good suit is a well fitting suit. Most neoprene materials nowadays are good with a few small exceptions (suits selling for under $200). I know since i have that as well lol.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Water Donkey,

Thanks for noticing.

My Genuine Yamamoto wetsuits are definitely legit.

And because I sell my own brand (MAKO Yamamoto Wetsuits), direct to the public (no dive shop mark ups!), my prices are much lower.

Yamamoto material is the most expensive neoprene available. But, as I mentioned, because I sell my Yamamoto wetsuits, direct to divers (not through dive shops), my Yamamoto Wetsuits actually cost less than most wetsuits on the market.

As you can see, on my website, my 2mm, one piece, reversible camo wetsuits, made of 100% genuine Yamamoto Neoprene, are only $159.95 each. If this same suit was sold in a dive shop, it would cost almost twice that much.

This is just but one small example of how my business model is different and why my business has grown so much.

Another area where my business model is different is clearly displayed by how I conduct myself as a person and as a business owner.

I prefer to say good things about my own products instead of saying negative things about my competitor’s products. I think this is how one should conduct themselves in their business life as well as in their personal life.

Hey GBS14,

There are many good wetsuits on the market. I think a MAKO 5mm, 2mm, Reef Camo would serve you well.

Dive safe,
dano

Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
Blue Man

I have tried a lot of wetsuits and I keep buying mako suits. They fit me well and I'm very happy with the quality.
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Blue Man,

Thanks a lot for your kind words and support.

I wish I could accept credit for the quality of my suits, but it is Tommy Yamamoto who deserves all the credit. His neoprene is really amazing.

It is so stretchy, you can get a near custom fitted wetsuit from an off the rack suit. Even if you are slightly outside the height/weight chart, chances are, the suit will still fit and fit well. It is actually made from limestone, so it is non allergenic too.

In addition to the custom like fit, the stretchy Yamamoto material will dramatically improve your diving too. Because there is little to no constricting of your torso it allows for much longer breath holds.

I am certainly no Martin Stepanik or William Trubridge, but I did 147 feet wearing my MAKO Yamamoto suit. Not bad for an old guy!

Thanks again, Blue Man.

Dive safe,
dano

Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
jersymudsniper

I have some expensive name suits and a mako suit. The mako suit is just as good as the expensive name suit and costs half the amount. In fact it may be better because mako suit has a built in knife pocket in the leg. Cheaper doesnt always mean cheap quality. I have crawled all over rocks and the mako is still good and on its 3rd year.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Jersymudsniper,

Badass Avitar!

And thank you for your support as well.

My Yamamoto Wetsuits are actually made at the same factory that makes high quality wetsuits for several of my very well respected competitors.

The same goes for my fins. Omer is one of the most well respected companies in the world. They make some of the best fins available. That is why I chose to have my Competition Freediver Fins made at the same factory that makes fins for Omer. Additionally, my Freedive Hunter fins are not only made at the same factory that Cressi uses, they are actually the exact same fins. The only difference is that mine say MAKO. Another example is my Los Ninos Fins. Not only are they made by the same factory that makes the Rob Allan fins, they are the exact same fins. The only difference is that mine say, MAKO on them and Rob's say RA on them.

Here is another example. Have you guys ever noticed several companies selling the exact same weight belt? My MAKO weight belt is made by the same factory that makes the exact same weight belts for several of my very well respected competitors. These are very high quality weight belts. The only difference is the name that is molded into the plastic piece on the front of the belt. Mine say MAKO.

Look at my MAKO Kona Kill Knife. This is a very high quality kill knife made in Italy. It happens to be the exact same knife that is also made for and sold by Riffe and Omer, two very fine companies, both well known for offering high quality products.

I could go on…My gloves and socks….same factory as Riffe. Salvimar sells the exact same mask as my MAKO Minimus Mask. Same mask..Same factory…Different name stamped on it. My MAKO South African Spears are the exact same, high quality spears offered by several of my well respected competitors as well as a few very well know and well respected custom gun builders.

All of these companies, Omer, Rob Allan, Cressi, Salvimar, JBL are great companies with high quality products. And they all offer some of the exact same products as I do.

Sorry to ramble on, but when I hear someone, who is in the dive industry, and who definitely knows better, say that you can’t buy a high quality wetsuit for under $200.00, it gives me the perfect opportunity to prove I can. Thanks for this opportunity.

Thanks again, Jersymudsniper.…badass Avitar! If you ever want to dive the CBBT, let me know.

Dive safe,
dano

Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
bryang123

I have a 5mm riffe digitek and love it. Keeps me nice and warm for hours on end. If you want to try things on, head down to James and Joseph's; they have a bunch there and you can try all of them on.
bryang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #13
Big_Berg

Serious mako circle jerk going on here...

Also check out mantis, quality suit at one hell of a price. Heard they have a new line coming out soon too!
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 AM   #14
oceanographical

Here is a opinionated summary of the suits I've owned. i think it's crucial that the suit fits well and is not restricting air and bloodflow, especially in the head / neck.

1. Salvimar N.A.T. 5.5mm from Nautilus (Maverick America). Currently this is my favorite. It is the most comfortable fit for me, being 5'11 175lbs with broad shoulders. Super stretchy. The single button beavertail is adjustable, which is great. No restricting large knee pads and elbow pads. Only downside is that the neoprene is soft and tears easier than other suits Ive had.

2. Seac Python 5mm. Super stretchy but tight in the neck and shoulders. neoprene is not very durable. Dont like the 2 button beavertails. Camo pattern is bright underwater, which I didnt care for.

3. Henderson camo freedive suit 5mm. Comfortable fit. On sale for under $200. smooth open cell and pretty durable material. Didnt fit me great though. The hood comes down too far and get in the way of putting on a mask. has kooky graphics. velcro beavertail was comfortable.

4. Mako 5mm pretty stretchy and durable neoprene. Did not fit me well and was tight in the neck. Disliked the double button beavertail. Disliked the knife pocket (but you can cut that out if needed). Price is good. Customer Service is good and they let me return it, unused.

5. Jakboeno 5mm (Nautilus). Very durable neoprene and jersey fabric. Medium stretch. Again, disliked double button beavertail. Little tight in the neck and shoulders for me, otherwise great suit. The best service from Andrew at the shop in my experiences. They let me return used for store credit, which was going out of their way to help a customer.
oceanographical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:55 AM   #15
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

lol
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote