Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Bromar

Florida East Coast Speargun

Hey Guys

Wanting to buy a new speargun which will be my second gun I have ever purchased or used. I currently have a JBL 43" Woody Magnum for the past 4 years, which was a great gun to start out with. I bought that gun just to start out, without any real knowledge on what kind of speargun to have for what kind of environment. I mainly target grouper, flounder, and snapper near the central Florida waters with a varying of visibility including wrecks and reefs.

What I would like to know is if someone could help point me in the Direction of some literature that explains the anatomy of a speargun and what features or length is good for what condition; just a basic guide on spearguns

If someone has any spearguns or must haves in a speargun for this particular water that would be great as well!

Thanks, and much appreciated
Bromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
fljgilner

Re: Florida East Coast Speargun

Let the speargun battle begin! I love my KOAH.
fljgilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
scubapat

I also started with a JBL, Then moved up to Riffe, mine has the helper fin on the shaft, makes it very easy to load. I have not had the first bit of trouble with it. many hundreds of dives out of Ponce over the last 15 years and more than a couple of fish. I like the shafts with the fins verses the ones with notches cut in them, I had my JBL shafts bent by fish, hasn't happened with the Riffe yet. Also you can get parts anywhere. Hope that helps.
scubapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
sniper61

Koah!

You can thank me later.
sniper61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapat View Post
I also started with a JBL, Then moved up to Riffe, mine has the helper fin on the shaft, makes it very easy to load. I have not had the first bit of trouble with it. many hundreds of dives out of Ponce over the last 15 years and more than a couple of fish. I like the shafts with the fins verses the ones with notches cut in them, I had my JBL shafts bent by fish, hasn't happened with the Riffe yet. Also you can get parts anywhere. Hope that helps.
I think that's called a pussy tab ..........

Seriously

I like my Koah...I like my Riffe....I like my Rhinos......I like my Billers......They all have their purpose in death , just at different times.
Buy what you can afford, what feels good.......and use it enough to be proficient with it.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
scubapat

Smile Re: Florida East Coast Speargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
I think that's called a pussy tab ..........

Seriously

I like my Koah...I like my Riffe....I like my Rhinos......I like my Billers......They all have their purpose in death , just at different times.
Buy what you can afford, what feels good.......and use it enough to be proficient with it.
I like my pussy tab
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Ctglax83
Cole

Get a koah
Ctglax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
scubapat

If my Riffe ever wears out I might just get me a Koah. I like what I see.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
pernicia

use the search! recent thread on same exact topic....

but I'll tell you how is gonna go, nowdays a lot will say Koah, other riffe, other custom (if money allows), then commercial divers will says Rhino...

in the end, all biased opinions...

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromar View Post
Hey Guys

Wanting to buy a new speargun which will be my second gun I have ever purchased or used. I currently have a JBL 43" Woody Magnum for the past 4 years, which was a great gun to start out with. I bought that gun just to start out, without any real knowledge on what kind of speargun to have for what kind of environment. I mainly target grouper, flounder, and snapper near the central Florida waters with a varying of visibility including wrecks and reefs.

What I would like to know is if someone could help point me in the Direction of some literature that explains the anatomy of a speargun and what features or length is good for what condition; just a basic guide on spearguns

If someone has any spearguns or must haves in a speargun for this particular water that would be great as well!

Thanks, and much appreciated
This link is obviously "promotional" but it is also intended to provide a good bit of useful information about guns, their features and some ideas about quality components.

With respect to your question about gun length... A lot depends on the visibility. We provide a chart of range versus MAKO gun length. Most people feel that you don't need a gun that has a single wrap distance (range) of more than the visibility. For your area, a 100 cm might be a good choice. If you move up to a 110 size, you can select an ETR which allows very fast and easy loading, which is a significant benefit, especially for scuba guys.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Articles.asp?ID=243

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Money $hot

The gun you have is a great gun even if your not a beginner. This topic has been beat to death in the last month (search koah vs rhino). There are a lot of variables, mostly where youre diving and what your targeting. Try to shoot your friends guns if they have what your looking for, sometimes that helps save some $$$$$. Best wishes
David
Money $hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Aqua Jam

Koah
Aqua Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
makomike27

Riffe
makomike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

My 54 LTD Biller has lasted 8 yrs so far shooting commercially 400 dives a year and has killed more fish than can be imagined.From Daytona to Frying Pan Shoal in depths 50' to 200',Vis from 5' to 200',fish from 5# to a 109# gutted black grouper,freeshafting bottom fish and lineshafting pelagics.

Before that I had a stainless 54 Biller.It's on loan to another commercial diver as it it's still fully functional.

The actual max draw is 43" or about 110cm
I use 60" shafts and JBL paralyzers
I use Mako 20mm/16mm rubber and JBL cable wishbones
It is convertible from free to lineshaft in less than 15 seconds
It is negative with shaft out(lost speargun posts are hilarious)

People have a lot of opinions.I listen to a few but I look at how experienced they are,if they have shown any ability and does any of what they recommend relate to my diving and conditions.Guys with pix of sideshot 12# gags need not apply.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Guys with pix of sideshot 12# gags need not apply.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote