Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

WARNING - In the interest of keeping this thread focused on the subject of proposed No-Take Zones for spearfishing and hook & line fishing, any posts on this thread that are related to spearfishing take methods on scuba or freediving will be transferred to other threads that specifically deal with those issues.

The Our Florida Reefs group is having public meetings in 2016 to reveal the recommendations they have been working on for a while now. Their website says the following:

Our Florida Reefs is a community planning process for southeast Florida's coral reefs.

Quote:
Hosted by the Southeast Florida Coral Reef Initiative (SEFCRI), this planning process brings together the community of local residents, reef users, business owners, visitors and the broader public in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Martin counties to discuss the future of coral reefs in this region. This process is designed to increase public involvement in the future management of southeast Florida’s coral reefs by seeking input from community members on the development of recommendations that can become part of a comprehensive management strategy to ensure healthy coral reefs in the future. The planning process includes the offshore reefs in the four-county region, from north of Biscayne National Park in Miami-Dade County to the St. Lucie Inlet in Martin County. OUR FLORIDA REEFS is funded by a state and federal partnership through a cooperative agreement between the Coral Reef Conservation Programs of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Additional “in kind” support provided by the many partner agencies and organizations that comprise SEFCRI.

- See more at:http://ourfloridareefs.org/
The members of the working groups are profiled in the attached PDF file. There are some great people involved with Our Florida Reefs whom I know personally like Carman Vare, Nikole Ordway, Mason Smith, Jim Mathie, Dave Bingham, and others. The intent of Our Florida Reefs is good, but the process has been flawed with regard to fishing considerations in my opinion.

The past working group meetings were mainly in the day time and those with daytime jobs that are not directly related to this subject would find it difficult to attend. Notice that the public meetings will be both days and evenings at the end of January 2016. I have attached below an example of the minutes of one of their meetings so you can see the scope of their discussions.

The Public Meetings are as follows:

Martin County:
Indian River State College Chastain Campus
2400 SE Salerno Road, Stuart, FL 34997
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

North Palm Beach County:
Amara Shriner’ Temple Auditorium
3650 RCA Blvd, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

South Palm Beach County:
Delray Beach City Library
100 West Atlantic Ave., Delray Beach, FL 33444
Friday, January 29, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

Broward County:
Holiday Park Social Center (same complex as War Memorial Auditorium)
1150 G. Harold Martin Dr., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304
Tuesday, February 16, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

Miami-Dade County South:
Neuman Alumni Center (University of Miami Coral Gables Campus)
6200 San Amaro Dr., Coral Gables, FL 33146
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

Miami-Dade County North:
Cal Kovens Conference Center (Florida International University Biscayne Bay Campus)
3000 NW 151st St., North Miami, FL 33181
Thursday, February 18, 2016
12pm – 2pm & 6pm – 8pm

Source: http://ourfloridareefs.org/events/

Here below are some of the possible no-take MPA areas under consideration by the Our Florida Reefs group. Below that is a letter from FWC opposing MPAs in this South Florida region.

The areas on these maps are for the following proposed purposes:

Areas of Interest for Recommended Management Action N146

N-146: Establish and implement an MPA zoning framework for the SEFCRI Region that includes but is not limited to no-take reserves, no anchor areas, restoration areas, and seasonal protection for spawning aggregations to enable sustainable use, reduce user conflict, and improve coral reef ecosystem condition.

This above revised RMA is a combination of the following original RMAs:

• N-146: Establish and implement a zoning framework for the SEFCRI Region that includes no-take reserves, no anchor areas, restoration areas, and seasonal protection for spawning aggregations to enable both sustainable use and protection of our Florida reefs. (original title)
• S-16: Create MPAs within SEFCRI area that amount to ~20% of area and are well defined to protect reefs and minimize user conflict.
• S-20: Define and prioritize reefs and habitat areas for extra protection to reduce fishing stress, accelerate reef recovery, protect reef fish, benefit public education, and benefit recreational diving and snorkeling.
• N-100: Create MPAs within FRT based on current science and data to develop site specific goals for a management plan to protect sensitive species and habitat.
• N-144: Implement MPA planning process to set aside areas to enhance population of most prolific reproduction of reef fish and coral.
• S-22: Develop marine protected zones in local high density coral areas to reduce anthropogenic impacts and improve coral protection for local healthy sites.
• S-38: Establish replicated marine reserves to determine impacts of water quality versus fishing on resources to increase knowledge of threats, public education, protection of fish populations, and public awareness.
• S-82: Create zones to exclude fishing traps and commercial gear in special high density coral areas to reduce storm and current movement trap/gear damage to the reef ecosystem.
• S-84: Create no-take zones for sharks and barracuda in aggregate areas to protect overfished predators in areas where most vulnerable.
• S-123: Create, establish, and monitor no take areas to comprise at least 20-30% of SEFCRI Region and incorporate evaluation.
• N-147: Develop and establish no-take zones or areas of restricted activity (include reefs and everglades) to protect and reduce pressure on reefs, stop use of tackle and traps that damage reefs, and avoid user conflicts to reduce pressure on juvenile and forage fish

The attached document called "Areas of Interest for S2 and N146" is the source of these maps. See if you can figure those maps out. I merely added the inlets and ports to my images above so we can try to assess what they may have in mind for no fishing areas. Please note the "action" stated above appears to be 20-30% of the entire reef tract area is to be set aside as no-take zones.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our-Florida-Reefs-Possible-No-Take-Zones---North.jpg
Views:	2414
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	223491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our-Florida-Reefs-Possible-No-Take-Zones---Middle.jpg
Views:	2283
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	223492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our-Florida-Reefs-Possible-No-Take-Zones---South.jpg
Views:	2349
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	223493   Click image for larger version

Name:	FWC-Letter-Opposing-MPAs-9-16-14-Page-1-of-2.jpg
Views:	2466
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	223494   Click image for larger version

Name:	FWC-Letter-Opposing-MPAs-9-16-14-Page-2-of-2.jpg
Views:	2120
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	223495  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CWG-Yearbook_updated-7.22.2015.pdf (1.22 MB, 753 views)
File Type: pdf 10-22-final-draft-of-NCWG-minutes_BW_AW_JM.pdf (401.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: pdf Areas of Interest for S2 and N146.pdf (1.51 MB, 194 views)
File Type: pdf Possible MPA No-Take Zones Details.pdf (333.3 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by SpearMax; 01-13-2016 at 01:04 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

Put these meetings on your calendar.

EDIT 1-20-16 - I have added to this post the final detailed maps of proposed No-Take zones for any kind of fishing.

Here is an example of what the attached PDF Maps look like.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-09 21.54.33.jpg
Views:	2312
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	223504   Click image for larger version

Name:	OFR_N146_Map-11_BlowingRocksJunoJupiter_Website_draft3.jpg
Views:	1612
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	223622  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Possible MPA No-Take Zones Details.pdf (333.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 13_StLucie_Website_draft4 OPTIMIZED2.pdf (1.20 MB, 208 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 12_DeepMartin_Website_draft3 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.05 MB, 483 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 11_BlowingRocksJunoJupiter_Website_draft3 OPTIMIZED.pdf (927.3 KB, 166 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 10_MacArthurBlueHeronPeanut_Website_draft3 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.20 MB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 9_BreakersShallow_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.06 MB, 221 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 8_MarALagoBreakersFlower_Website_draft2 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.00 MB, 181 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 7_Lake Worth to Manalapan_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.10 MB, 187 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 6_GulfStream_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.18 MB, 185 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 5_FinksCastor_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.22 MB, 180 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 4_FortLaud_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.24 MB, 172 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 3_JUL_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.17 MB, 187 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 2_CountyLine_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.22 MB, 179 views)
File Type: pdf OFR_N146_Map 1_KeyBiscayne_Website_draft1 OPTIMIZED.pdf (1.07 MB, 191 views)

Last edited by SpearMax; 01-20-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Captain SOGO
SOGO spearfishing

Re: Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

Do spearos show a good presence at these meeting? I'm thinking in going to a few of them that are close to me.
Captain SOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
SC00BAD1V3R

What about the longliners, party boats and bycatch?

Lets do something about this. We are not the problem.

Last edited by SC00BAD1V3R; 01-11-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Read "warning"
SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Matt Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T-Spearing View Post
Do spearos show a good presence at these meeting? I'm thinking in going to a few of them that are close to me.
I'll be at the evening delray meeting. If anyone else is going shoot me a PM.
Matt Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T-Spearing View Post
I think it is very important for both spearos and hook & line fishers to show up and support each other. We all in this together whether freediver, scuba diver, boat fisher, recreational, commercial, marine industry, tourism, you name it.

Here is a Wikipedia definition that fits like a glove for the "Our Florida Reefs" process with regard to the fishing aspects:

"A boondoggle is a project that is considered a useless waste of both time and money, yet is often continued due to extraneous policy or political motivations."

I honestly think we must raise a huge objection to what is going on here.

My two cents, Tony

Last edited by SpearMax; 01-12-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Fins369

Does anyone know what each blocked off area represents? I'm not going to assume they will all just be the same type of closed off areas, as some are adjacent to each other, but are blocked off with different colors and numbered separately.

Basically, does anyone have a list of how they are classifying, or protecting, each area?
Fins369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
fishkillapro

I dealt with MPAs in California. The worst PITA known to spearfishing.
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
jfjf

Is their plan to ask for an extremely aggressive mpa proposal and when that meets huge resistance, then they just go to the fall back position of throwing out scuba spearos only...... Maybe all the other consumptive stakeholders will be so rattled by the mpa scare that they will, in the interest of compromise, be more willing to throw the scuba spearos under the bus????
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Lightbulb Re: Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Is their plan to ask for an extremely aggressive mpa proposal and when that meets huge resistance, then they just go to the fall back position of throwing out scuba spearos only...... Maybe all the other consumptive stakeholders will be so rattled by the mpa scare that they will, in the interest of compromise, be more willing to throw the scuba spearos under the bus????
I don't think so. I believe it was an item added to a long list for discussion. There are certain individuals involved who are against consumptive diving. Some of them were at the Coastal Ocean Task Force last year. But as I stated in the opening post, the big picture is the attempt to bring in no-take zones for any kind of fishing. All fishermen and women of all currently legal gear types and methods should stand together to challenge the no-takes zones. Their stated goal is to make 20-30% of the area MPAs.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
I dealt with MPAs in California. The worst PITA known to spearfishing.
Where is Trump ,just when we need him.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Post Re: Our Florida Reefs - Possible No-Take MPA Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins369 View Post
Does anyone know what each blocked off area represents? I'm not going to assume they will all just be the same type of closed off areas, as some are adjacent to each other, but are blocked off with different colors and numbered separately.

Basically, does anyone have a list of how they are classifying, or protecting, each area?
Fins, I have attached a pdf file to the above post that provides details of each colored and numbered area. You will see the "reef grab" is extensive and aimed at the stated goal of 20-30% of the entire area as no-take zones.

FYI, Tony
Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
HurricaneBK

MPAs and no-take zones aren't a solution. If you alienate the largest stakeholder groups then who is going to care about the area in the future other than a handful of environmentalists. I think the money would be better spent on a bottom up approach that focuses on jump starting healthy coral growth. Look at how healthy reefs are grown in other parts of the world and emulate that here, closing an area off and hoping for the best is a half-measure that does no one any good.

Watch the whole video, the transformation is impressive. Then ask would you rather spend the money on lobbyists and lawyers to oppose MPAs and no-take zones or build a healthier reef. Its shortsighted to think that the only solution is closing the reef indefinitely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx8TV9Kd0ns
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Check out post #2 above where I added the final detailed maps of proposed No-Take zones for any kind of fishing.

Here is an example of what the attached PDF Maps look like. Download them for the areas you frequent and look at the details.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

My two cents...these guys are idiots. Comparing directly spearfishermen who actually spear the reefs anywhere below 60ft to party boats who on a daily basis rape the shit out of the areas, I'd say this is ridiculous. I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence here, I assume we've all seen the load that those party boats bring in after every trip, most of them doing two to three trips a day. There are more recreational boaters fishing rod and reel by multitudes than there are spear's on the reefs on a daily basis. Is there any way to open some eyes on the facts here? I missed the meetings on account of I travel for a living. If there are any more, I'll go. Anything else I can do, please advise? thx
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote