Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Knowing where our dive spots are located and what is the depth for our dives make our marine electronics very important.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
sos26

GPS rollover

I just found out about this mess ... It started last year with older units.
And according to Furuno the GP1650Ws will freak out in early 2021.... Of witch I have 5 units ... Three that I use and depend on..
What I am sure of, is after that date, the Date and time on the unit will be toast ! The question is,,will the repeatable accuracy be degraded ? One guy at Furuno says it may be OK another says it can be fixed with a factory upgrade. The official company bulletin says to upgrade to a new model..(that's a shocker)
So here I am between a shit and a sweat not knowing.... Some years back I waited TOO long to upgrade to GPS ,, and when the Loran towers were shut down I lost hundreds of numbers including wrecks off the east coast.
Side Note.... Long ago I found those Wks using Gary Gentile's books of shipwrecks. A friend of mine called him to see about getting the Lat Lon's ..
He said that he tried to get them but those people he called (people that found the Wks using his acquired and published TD's) would not give up the accurate Lat Lon's.... Oh well ?
Old 01-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #2
Sea_Bass

Re: GPS rollover

That sucks about the rollover. Make sure to backup all your numbers, they can be converted later if needed. There are free programs to do the conversions or if you need a custom solution I can help, I write my own conversion programs.

For FL East coast public wrecks and all public wrecks in FL, you can download the numbers for free as gpx file datasets from my website https://flgpx.com, grouped by FL county. Or if you want individual wrecks you can browse the site's interactive GPS maps and pick out the numbers you want.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

I've got some pretty accurate conversions and offsets for wrecks from Daytona to Oregon Inlet if you ever want to convert any of those East Coast numbers. I ran LORAN and GPS next to each other and wrote down quite a few #s in each area. Also the towers are a great way to confirm offsets,they don't move or get sanded like some wrecks have.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
sos26

Thanks Guys,,,, I bought the offshore hunter program from Frank,, and he was very helpful to learn how to use it.. So everything is backed up in my laptop , plus, on good old paper,, just in case...
If you mean converting TD's to Lat Lon ,,, i have given up on doing that.
Unless I'm looking for a ledge that a 1/2 mile long in North Carolina ..

100days,,,, Thanks for the offer but thanks to two great guys i now have all the Del. and Md. Wks that i lost by not doing what you did...witch is the foolproof way...

I recorded the Lat Lon of the boat at the dock and on the lift... now i guess i'll wait to see if it change's when the hit happens....
Old 01-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #5
Sea_Bass

You can try NOAA's Loran conversion tool for a few numbers at a time:
https://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/loranconv/latlonarea.pl.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

The Sea Marks program at www.andren.com does a great job of converting LORAN to Lat Lon.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote