Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
JimW
Aquatic Enthusiast

Today's Viz report from SE of the pride

We made 3 drops each today southeast of the pride in 115' and 105'. 40-50' viz on the first wreck, then about 20 - 30' viz on the second wreck. Very murky descending the first 30', but it opened up nicely on the bottom.

On the first drop 23Dusky and I scored phat mangos. Man they were big and were everywhere! Was like shooting fish in a barrel We got a couple small reds and a couple gags. But the goes were awesome....

Check this. John (23Dusky) and I get to the bottom and we go our separate ways to hunt. I'm cruising down the wreck picking off goes and grouper. The all of the sudden I hear this BOOM....BOOMBOOM..BOOM. I look back and all I see is this huge cloud of silt. I was like oh man... John is getting gang tackled by GGs. I go over and all I see is John's free shaft with a big ole mango on it going bizerk. I stoned the mango. Then the dang GG sucks it off the shaft before I/we could snatch it. Both of us were beating the GG over the head... but he got it. He (GG) almost got some copper candy... but we were nice and didn't issue any

Polespear and Froggy were team 2. They got nice goes and a couple grouper as well.

The seas were a solid 2-3' with and occasional 4'er. Light to moderate chop with 10knt N - NE winds. I came so close to canceling this morning, but didn't. I'm glad that we went as we all had a blast! No red tide or dead fish that we saw. There definetly seemed to be more fish in the area, but suprisingly no AJs.

Some pics

Me

John

The crew

JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
polespear

Re: Today's Viz report from SE of the pride

Thanks for the ride!!!!!!!!!! send me the rest of the pics.
polespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Joboo
Free Helicopter Rides

Thanks for the report. Glad to see there are still some fishy spots left out there. Currious...did you know these spots would be productive or did you hit a few barren and dead spots along the way?
Joboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Way to go guys! Glad to see sombody able to put up a report...we're getting some knock out punch wave action over on this coast...which one in the crew is froggy...hey Simon...when is the next trip out?

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
JimW
Aquatic Enthusiast

Joboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joboo
Currious...did you know these spots would be productive or did you hit a few barren and dead spots along the way?
I always set a basic plan and go straight to those spots. With the seas being so choppy finding new spots with my boat is hard. My sounder works good, but finding new breaks/ledges is hard when it is rough. I want good viz, and that area is always on the clear side 100'+. Plus close to shore is on the dead side. However, I have heard that fish are coming in.

Gradyman
Quote:
which one in the crew is froggy
The french guy in the blue shirt.

polespear
Quote:
Thanks for the ride!!!!!!!!!! send me the rest of the pics.
I'll email them later. Someone has my mask!

JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Froggy
Ragamuffin

Wink Re: Today's Viz report from SE of the pride

Hey Jim! That was an awsome day man. Even riding these waves was worth it! That was my first experience spear fishing and I tell ya ... don't talk diving to me anymore ... talk to me about Spearfishing man!!!! I am hooked forever and ever. Oh by the way, think it would be possible to take turns and let us go down first next time?

Cheers!

"If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me."
Psa 139:9-10
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Those are some huge mangroves! Good to hear that there are fish showing up and clear water. Steve.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
23Dusky

Thanks for the trip Jim. Good times as always.
Also appreciate the help with the GG....thought I was going to loose my shaft to those pigs.
23Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
Capt. Jay

John.. looks like that mango might be the one we got in the grounds when you came with us.. if not its real close for size.. nice mango!!!!. we are headed out on saturday morning to some of my honey holes 38 miles out of bayport, and cant wait to hit the water Keep those pics coming, and congrats on another great trip!!!

Capt. Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
23Dusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jay
John.. looks like that mango might be the one we got in the grounds when you came with us.. if not its real close for size.. nice mango!!!!. we are headed out on saturday morning to some of my honey holes 38 miles out of bayport, and cant wait to hit the water Keep those pics coming, and congrats on another great trip!!!
He was pretty close....Jim had the biggest one that probably went about 8lbs. There were some big gos out there, if you could keep them away from the Jewfish.
Good luck Saturday, look forward to the report.
23Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

Wouldn't it be neat if Jewfish hauled AZZ when they saw a diver or heard a shaft go out. I'm convenced they could be trained.
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote